My rant!!!

My rant!!!

This is a discussion on My rant!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods please forgive me if this is wrong place please move. We have had a few post in the past little while that asked for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My rant!!!

My rant!!!

Mods please forgive me if this is wrong place please move.

We have had a few post in the past little while that asked for help.
    Basically the posters asked: "If I had this much money and had a choice between x or x which would you choose?"
    Most of the responses are: "Neither, I would save my money to get x."
    Sometimes Ladies and Gents it is not possible to wait to protect ourselves & we must live with the funds we have (unlike our government).
    I feel that sometimes we have people that come to us asking for advice and we degrade them by telling them they can't afford the firearm we think they should have.
    If I have the money to buy a High Point (and that is all the money I have) would you rather me wait another year to save for a higher priced firearm our would you want me to protect myself now?
    Sorry for the rant but I think DC is here to teach people how to protect themselves whether it be with a toothpick or a Glock.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    choice between x or x which would you choose.
    I guess I'd choose 'x'

Seems to me that firearms tend to hold their value pretty well. Shouldn't we recommend that they get the "toothpick" now and sell it/trade it towards the "Glock" later when they've saved the difference?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    I guess I'd choose 'x'

Seems to me that firearms tend to hold their value pretty well. Shouldn't we recommend that they get the "toothpick" now and sell it/trade it towards the "Glock" later when they've saved the difference?
    Now that's a good idea...glad you think that way!!

I have a lot of friends who seem to be interested in getting a firearm for around the house. Most don't have much more than $300 to spend. I know I've been looking to those posts for insight. It helps me and them pick something out. It definitely helps to get input on the ones asked about. That's the whole reason I'm reading the post anyhow.

I do like reading a thread and waiting to see how long it takes for someone to recommend a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I do like reading a thread and waiting to see how long it takes for someone to recommend a Glock 19.
    Dude, just get the Glock 19....seriously....

Now that wasn't long was it?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Dude, just get the Glock 19....seriously....

Now that wasn't long was it?
    Right on time. Seems to show up even quicker in a lot of the other posts.

I can see why people recommend them though. They are great guns. I got a 36 and 23 myself.

I hear you, and wonder if the same folks that say save up for x all drive Mercedes, BMW's or cars of that nature, if not why not.

I drive a Jeep YJ or Chevy's and carry a couple of Taurus's or a Ruger mostly. Can I afford different guns, yep, but those are what I like and what work for me. Carry guns are tools and I treat them like it. I don't abuse them but I use them as tools. The wife likes Glocks and airweight S&W's, that is her choice, I have never told her not to spend money on what works for her.

If someone is looking for a gun in the $300 range, there are some that are worth buying and I have tried to make suggestions in the range folks have quoted. However if someone wants to get Bryco or Jennings or similarly built junk, I might tell them to save their money. From my experience Hi Points are big, ugly and heavy but work.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    "Sorry for the rant but I think DC is here to teach people how to protect themselves whether it be with a toothpick or a Glock."

Forget the toothpick! I'd save up my money & buy an Ice Pick. <~~~

OK OK ~ Just kidding.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So many potential glock jokes. I'm just sayin'...

VIP Member
    Good point!

Sometimes though, the person asking the question wants to consider a real piece of doo doo for personal protection and in those cases I'm forced to offer an alternative. COUGHTAURUS (J/K)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think it is a vaild point, but at the same time, I can see both sides. The first handgun I bought myself right after I turned 21 was a Rossi 461 revolver. Certainly not a top of the line weapon, but it has been reliable, and worked for me, until I was able to save up the cash for a SA GI 1911 a few months later. But I did like the peace of mind the Rossi gave me. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have. But, at the same time, I can see the wisdom in saving up money to buy a more quality firearm. Most of the inexpensive handguns are inexpensive for a reason, because they are not made to the same standards. There are some of the more inexpensive handguns that I think are actually ok firearms, and would carry if i had nothing else, weapons like the Bersas, and my Rossi, and the S&W Sigma.

And as with anything, yes, money is tight for most right now, and it is always good to get a deal, but how much is your life worth? That is a question anyone serious about defense has to ask themselves. Because saved up money doesn't do you much good if the BG wins.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Mods please forgive me if this is wrong place please move.

We have had a few post in the past little while that asked for help.
    Basically the posters asked: "If I had this much money and had a choice between x or x which would you choose?"
    Most of the responses are: "Neither, I would save my money to get x."
    Sometimes Ladies and Gents it is not possible to wait to protect ourselves & we must live with the funds we have (unlike our government).
    I feel that sometimes we have people that come to us asking for advice and we degrade them by telling them they can't afford the firearm we think they should have.
    If I have the money to buy a High Point (and that is all the money I have) would you rather me wait another year to save for a higher priced firearm our would you want me to protect myself now?
    Sorry for the rant but I think DC is here to teach people how to protect themselves whether it be with a toothpick or a Glock.

Jeff
    I agree with you 100%.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

I dont see the big deal. Back when I was looking for my first handgun in the 90s I really didnt know the difference in mfgs. I bought I Rossi because it looked good to me. I didnt have alot of money, but if someone had suggested I save and buy a Smith I for sure wouldnt have felt degraded.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and I don't buy new guns under 500.00. Those are the cut off points in which value and reliability tend to drop off or headaches occur. Sorry you can rant all you want, I will never suggest a Taurus or Highpoint. Save cans, do something for a little extra dough to get something reliable.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

So really all these people that say "never go unarmed" don't really mean it...they really mean "go unarmed until you can afford something that the rest of us feel is worthy". So in that case, no gun is better then an inexpensive gun. I guess those that can't afford a S&W better hope they don't run into a bad guy until they save up some cash. This discussion makes me think that a whole lot of people on this forum don't really believe they "need" to carry, they actually just "want" to carry....so waiting to buy a more expensive weapon is not that big a deal to them.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links