Interesting gun at the range last night,

This is a discussion on Interesting gun at the range last night, within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to try out my new Glock 27, and got to talking to the guy next to me at the range. He was there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting gun at the range last night,

Interesting gun at the range last night,

I went to try out my new Glock 27, and got to talking to the guy next to me at the range. He was there with another guy and their two kids, girl about twelve and boy about ten.
    They had brought about four or five guns with them. He was showing me a couple of them.
    He pulled this;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAR_Grizzly_Win_Mag

out of one of his gun bags. He said he had the conversion barrel to shoot the 45 Win Mag. I assume therefore he had it chambered it 45ACP last night. He handed it to me and MAN is that thing a club. I guess it's not really meant to be carried concealed. So the big question is how rare are these things, especially in 45 Win Mag?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've been reading about that gun. At first I thought it was just a larger .45ACP, but I found out, it's a lot more than just a bigger bullet.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

OD*
    It's interesting to note that the .45 Win Mag cartridge was actually already 20 years old when it was introduced here in 1979, it is dimensionally and ballistically identical to a cartridge introduced in Canada in 1959 called the .45 NAACO.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Yes it's an older cartrage but a NICE one at that.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

OD*
    Yes, it is a very impressive cartridge. Age means little to me, my two favorite cartridges are both 137 years old.

~ Tiger McKee

Wasn't this a pistol that Harry Callahan's buddy gave him in one of the movies? I remember it nickel-plated and getting a lot of attention for a short time.
    Slide or frame failure issues? I forget..

Whoops I'm gettin' old, just remembered that was a Wildey(sp?). Man's gotta know his limitations..

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Whoops I'm gettin' old, just remembered that was a Wildey(sp?). Man's gotta know his limitations..
    I believe it was an AutoMag, Charles Bronson used a Wildey in one of the Death Wish sequels.

~ Tiger McKee

A friend of mine years ago had one. Fun to shoot. I have a couple hundred .45 Win-mag cases with my reloading stuff. Don't know if I am going to load them up someday or trade them away or trim them to ACP length.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Yeah I seem to remember that Dirty Harry used an Automag in one of the later movies, but I think by the time they did "The Dead Pool" he was back to his revolver.

Also wasn't it and AutoMag cartridge that Axle Foley (Eddie Murphy) uses to lead them to the Hollywood Gun Club in the second "Beverly Hills Cop" movie. I think he says something like "It's a 308 round cut down for a 45 Automag."

I have an LAR grizzly mark 4 in 44 magnum,I got the 44 mag due to the fact the 44 mag ammo is easier to find than 45 win mag,I handload and the Grizzly is fun to shoot,the grip is about 1 1/2 times as long as a 45 acp grip so it's a handfull of gun.
    I got mine on gunbroker a few years ago,they sell for anywhere from 1000.00 on up to around 1500.00. Some LAR Grizzly parts can still be found at the factory,I bought spare mags for 75.00 ea. online people were trying to get 125.00 ea.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've long considered getting a Grizzly. Good old gun, impressive cartridge. I even have some ammo already, since I once owned a Mag-1 carbine, which was an M-1 Carbine converted to .45 WinMag by Tim LeGendre. Hellacious ballistics from the carbine. I was getting right at 2000 fps. from a 260gr. bullet.

He must handload it.Not a very pretty gun,but it sure is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Yeah I seem to remember that Dirty Harry used an Automag in one of the later movies, but I think by the time they did "The Dead Pool" he was back to his revolver.

Also wasn't it and AutoMag cartridge that Axle Foley (Eddie Murphy) uses to lead them to the Hollywood Gun Club in the second "Beverly Hills Cop" movie. I think he says something like "It's a 308 round cut down for a 45 Automag."
    He used the AutoMag in "Sudden Impact", they made a point of showing it off earlier in the movie but he only used it in the final showdown because his Model 29 ended up in the drink after an earlier fight went poorly for him.

I remember, they were "all the rage" back when I was in high school. The gun magazines were full of articles about them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links