What would you pick if you didn't know makes of weapons?

This is a discussion on What would you pick if you didn't know makes of weapons? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have taken a friend of mine, after safety and handling lessons, shooting 10-15 times. She has some experience with a shotgun but had never ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you pick if you didn't know makes of weapons?

VIP Member

What would you pick if you didn't know makes of weapons?

I have taken a friend of mine, after safety and handling lessons, shooting 10-15 times. She has some experience with a shotgun but had never fired a handgun. She has no idea what a S&W, Taurus, Ruger, or Charter Arms is.

Since she is more confident with a wheel gun I tried to narrow down what she liked the best. I brought, to the range, a S&W model 60, 649, 638, Ruger SP101, Taurus 85, and a Charter Arms Undercover. All were 1 7/8 to 2 1/2 inch barrels with rubber grips. With her rather small size I kept all the ammo 148 gr wadcutter in .38 Special.

The results? She preferred the Charter Arms HANDS DOWN! I asked why and she said "it just feels better." It was interesting to see what someone would pick when they didn't know makes or costs.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a revolver guy - I have shot some but never owned any. I have ALMOST bought a Ruger GP100 in stainless a few times. If I ever buy a revolver, it would be that or the Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag (I'd shoot 44 specials thru it). But, out of all of those, I'd get either a S&W or the Ruger SP101. Those are the only 2 brands of revolvers I'd consider, personally (despite not being a revolver guy, I am a super handgun lover, and have soaked in thousands of posts and comments by others over years of being on numerous gun forums - these are the only 2 brands I'd put stock in personally)

Interesting. I am curious as she gets more familiar with the feel and actions if she will begin to change her mind. ?

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    If were are talking wheel guns I can promise you you can blind fold me and hand me every kind of revolver out there and I will pick out the best one a Colt. The Colts action is just the greatest feeling action I have ever felt! I think the smith is second and charter and ruger are a close 3-4. I deal with guns on a daily basis though and once you have felt a great action you will never forget it.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

It may not be the best but if it feels right for her, good. Maybe she'll upgrade or maybe a Charter revolver will handle her needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    If were are talking wheel guns I can promise you you can blind fold me and hand me every kind of revolver out there and I will pick out the best one a Colt. The Colts action is just the greatest feeling action I have ever felt! I think the smith is second and charter and ruger are a close 3-4. I deal with guns on a daily basis though and once you have felt a great action you will never forget it.
    I feel much the same as you Dragman. I worked in a gun store for about a year and a half, and you are spot on on the Colt smooootheness. Nothing finer than the feel of a Python.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Interesting. I am curious as she gets more familiar with the feel and actions if she will begin to change her mind. ?
    I thought of that also but my S&W 60 has the best SA trigger I have ever used. The Charter was sold new in 1984 new, I have the original receipt, but was from an estate and was fired less than 50 rounds in 26 years. The Ruger being the heaviest would have the least recoil, and the 60 the best trigger. I laid all 6 out and she shot each but finished the session shooting the Charter the most.

Not really a scientific experiment but I was really surprised at her choice. I wonder if color may have been a subconscious thing. All were stainless except the Charter which was a rich blue. I guess the bright side is that if we ever get serious, and i have to give up one of my wheel guns it will be a $275 Charter instead of a pre lock 649, or 60.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    No, you see this with wine, too. Bunch of wine snobs, sitting around a table, they'll harp over everything and obsess on the high-end stuff. Bring in a newbie, let 'em do some blind tasting, they'll pick what they like best.

With the revolvers in this case, all that would matter is hand feel - shape of grip, shape and location of trigger, etc. If she likes the Charter best, get her the Charter.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    as with any tool, if there are many variations and offerings of similar tools, the user is going to handle as many as possible and rate them on hand fit and feel. For a person that has very limited knowledge of various brand name quality, or the inner workings, or what is considered proper with the action (trigger smoothness/weight, safeties, etc), they have no other knowledge to fall back on other than what seems to fit them best.

If you feel the absolute need to steer her to quality, and ignore what fits the best, she may lose interest in shooting if her choice of "quality" handgun is uncomfortable to shoot. If she pick a lower end (price wise) handgun and shoots often enough to become reasonable proficient, the gun will most likely meet her needs for a long time. Not knowing about the young lady, except that she apparantly has limited experience with handguns, I would guess that she may just be happy to have a handgun she feels good about, and likely not shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a year (after the "new" wears off)

just my attempt to answer the original question

surv

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Colt revolvers . . . alas, a mechanical dodo bird.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There are actually some similarities between the designs on Colt lock work and Charter Arms. The hand and its slot are both on the opening side of the cylinder and the hand does the final lockup as the trigger is pulled. This gives a very tight cylinder lock up at the moment of firing.

Here is gunsmith Grant Cunningham’s article on how Colt Pythons lock works. http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_..._delicate.html

I’m not suggesting Charters are near Python quality, just that they share some design elements.
    Last edited by 303british; December 3rd, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: add link

I can see why she picked the Charter. I personally find them to be the most "comfortable" revolvers of that size and capacity. Now.....I like the other makes too, but they are a good value. Good American made guns.

VIP Member
    I like Charter Arms Wheel guns also.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Nice of you to do that! Actually, it's a very refreshing that she likes it for its appeal to HER. She's more likely to carry the one she likes, whereas the others would be left behind. Later she can do what we all do... get more guns. Perfect!
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

I have a Charter in .38 and a Bulldog in .44 SPL. The sound and recoil of the .38 is louder and sharper than the .44. The .44 sound is lower in pitch and isn't as disquieting. The .44 recoil is not as sharp as the .38, it's more of a shove rather a snap.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links