What to do about ORANGE 1911 grips

This is a discussion on What to do about ORANGE 1911 grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some advise folks. I just bought a pair of cocobola wood 1911 grips and got them today. They're traditional double diamond, fully checkered. I'd ...

Thread: What to do about ORANGE 1911 grips

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

What to do about ORANGE 1911 grips

Need some advise folks. I just bought a pair of cocobola wood 1911 grips and got them today. They're traditional double diamond, fully checkered. I'd bought a pair from this company years ago and love them. They're ultra thin and very dark reddish brown but more towards the brown. The checkering masks the pattern of the wood but they look great on a parkarized GI 1911.

Well the pair I got today looks extremely "orange" by comparison. In the diamond areas it's a bit more reddish brown but in the checkered area it's very very orange.

I'm thinking of returning them (if they'll take them) but wondered if these will darken naturally and just be fine with some use?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Need some advise folks. I just bought a pair of cocobola wood 1911 grips and got them today. They're traditional double diamond, fully checkered. I'd bought a pair from this company years ago and love them. They're ultra thin and very dark reddish brown but more towards the brown. The checkering masks the pattern of the wood but they look great on a parkarized GI 1911.

Well the pair I got today looks extremely "orange" by comparison. In the diamond areas it's a bit more reddish brown but in the checkered area it's very very orange.

I'm thinking of returning them (if they'll take them) but wondered if these will darken naturally and just be fine with some use?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gideon
    Gideon,

I hear the concern, but sometimes wood is just different. It should darken a bit over time as oils from your hand and gun tend to do it a little. If you flat out don't like it, return them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

What? No pics?
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Simple, find a shop to coat the frame with purple and the slide with neon green.... you now have a Joker Special in 1911.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Distinguished Member
    If you're willing to take the time, you could always sand and re-stain them yourself.

Are they varnished? I have a set with the same "problem" but they are varnished, so will have to strip them. When the WX gets warmer, I might use some stripper on them, and stain them a little darker. Dark Walnut Danish Oil should do the trick.

Links