Rossi Ranch Hand....do not buy it >>>>> - Page 3

Rossi Ranch Hand....do not buy it >>>>>

This is a discussion on Rossi Ranch Hand....do not buy it >>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hunter USA has a copy of the original Steve McQueen holster for around $80-100 bucks, Mernickleholster.com has one that is a holster/cartridge belt system for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Rossi Ranch Hand....do not buy it >>>>>

Ranch Hand Holster

Hunter USA has a copy of the original Steve McQueen holster for around $80-100 bucks, Mernickleholster.com has one that is a holster/cartridge belt system for $399. I have been asked to make one for a customer and will get back to ya'll with pricing when I get it done. I estimate at this time it will be around $150-200. It will be heat press formed and hand stiched, then antique dyed.

I am sorry but I bought one at Academy Sports yesterday. They had 3 x 357Mag, 2 x 44Mag and 1 x 45 Long Colt. I got one of the .357Mag as I already reload this ammo. I had been tempted for about a year and when they had the right one at the right price, I caved in and took it off of their hands. Yes the price is less than $450 plus tax.
    FTG-05 likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Unless there has been some bizarre ruling of which I'm not aware, the Mossberg "JIC" is a shotgun, not a pistol. It is over 26" long and has an 18", smoothbore barrel. If it were under 26" or had a barrel less than 18" long, it would be considered a Short Barrel Shotgun, and would be subject to NFA taxes and transfer restrictions. It would only get to be a pistol if the barrel were at least partially rifled, like the Taurus Judge. Simply having no shoulder stock does not make it a pistol.
    I agree. Unless there is some law in another state, the figures you quote are still correct so far as a pistol grip shotgun.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Yeah, its fun... not very practical, but fun to shoot!

Goldy49 likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

just a heads up. Henry makes one of these in .22. Also a bigger caliber too. I don't remember what though. Seems the .22 version could be had for under 300.00. In a .22 version, it would have to be a good plinking and grinning gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No worries. I won't buy one.
    LOL you stole my thunder!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Yesterday I went to a LGS and finally saw one and got to handle it. This piece was already sold to someone else. All I have to say is please do not buy this pistol..........................so my dealer can find more so I can buy one from him . It actually looks like it is nicely made for a $500 pistol. They told me everytime they get these in, they sell out pratty quick. They are actually looking for more. I told him that I would check back with him every so often to see if they got any more in. Overall it looks like a fun gun to have, just because !!! God Bless
    If you're still looking...try Gallery of Guns they have tons of them in 45LC, 44mag. and .357. One dealer in my area had them listed at $428.00 - best price I saw, but huge inventory.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sometimes one does not even know that they can't live without something
    that they didn't even know existed before their eyes beheld it...

or tune in next week for:
    .....to each his own (unless it gets bought 1st)

----------------
    i've fell to some odd purchases also. often i'll rationalize buying it cause i
    already load that cartrage so it ain't like it cost much...and i get 10% off if its raining.

or a consignment went out the door so i have to carry something out also--
    some esoteric rule about how things must balance out (in the stores favor)
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Because I am trying to be a much nicer guy and get my "T" shirt that states "Don't play well with others" revoked. I will refrain from buying one so you will no longer be denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'm amazed that folks who line up to buy this gun are the same people who will criticize someone for buying a P/G shotgun.
    To me, choice is always good, and every gun isn't right for every situation. Some are just fun.
    Hey folks, this gun is nothing but fun. A lot of fun. I've had mine for over a year and anytime I go to the range or out in the country to shoot, my Ranch Hand goes with me. I am old enough to remember watching Steve McQueen in Wanted: Dead or Alive with my Dad. The gun is so much fun to shoot and surprizingly accurate shooting from the hip at 25 yards.

Does it have many (if any) practical uses? Maybe, maybe not. That depends on you, but if you want to have an enjoyable afternoon shooting at tin cans, water bottles, dirt clods, etc., the Ranch Hand is hard to beat. It is a fun gun (and there are several holster offerings - one of which is a dead ringer for Steve McQueens'. Someday,I will have one!). In case you can't tell, I really like my Ranch Hand.

Originally Posted by JohnLeVick
    Unless there has been some bizarre ruling of which I'm not aware, the Mossberg "JIC" is a shotgun, not a pistol. It is over 26" long and has an 18", smoothbore barrel. If it were under 26" or had a barrel less than 18" long, it would be considered a Short Barrel Shotgun, and would be subject to NFA taxes and transfer restrictions. It would only get to be a pistol if the barrel were at least partially rifled, like the Taurus Judge. Simply having no shoulder stock does not make it a pistol.

mr.stuart
    I agree. Unless there is some law in another state, the figures you quote are still correct so far as a pistol grip shotgun.

That is what one would assume BUT sadly this assumption is wrong. Working for an FFL dealer and dealing with tyhis alot they are in fact a pistol griped shot gun thus according to the bean counters and knowit alls in goverment it is a PISTOL . . . my brain already hurts. I have no real reason as to why it is this way I just know that with said firearms ( the JIC and the ranch hand) and as such I do have to comply with "their" rulling and laws on this gun.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Oh you youngsters. The gun is from Wanted Dead or Alive, starring Steve McQueen. His character, Josh Randall, carried it on his hip in a holster made with two pieces of spring steel to hold it in. Very cool then and now. My dad was a machinist and made my Mattel lever gun to look like McQueens. Course those were the days when you could play good guys and bad guys with out getting suspended from grade school.
    When I was a kid that show came on in the afternoon...I never missed it! I watched all those old westerns....Wanted Dead or Alive, Rawhide, Branded, Have Gun Will Travel. Good stuff. As far as this gun goes...I was at Cabelas a couple of days ago and they had 3 of them, and my local Academy Sports has 2 of them. Maybe you are just looking in the wrong places.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

saw one for sale at a gun show yesterday..... was tempted. Surprised at how heavy it was.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have no use for this brand especially since its made in Brazil.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Oh you youngsters. The gun is from Wanted Dead or Alive, starring Steve McQueen. His character, Josh Randall, carried it on his hip in a holster made with two pieces of spring steel to hold it in. Very cool then and now. My dad was a machinist and made my Mattel lever gun to look like McQueens. Course those were the days when you could play good guys and bad guys with out getting suspended from grade school.
    Ya beat me to it!

As I recall, the gun in Wanted Dead or Alive was also a .44-40 with 6 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. They had some big long rifle cartridge on his gun belt but I don't think they could have gotten more than two of them in that short magazine. I read a long article about Steve and that gun decades ago but have no clue where to find it.

OMG! It's a little ways down this page as pictures of the pages:

1961 Guns Quarterly Article on Steve McQueen’s Prop Gun from “Wanted: Dead or Alive” : The Original Prop Blog – Jason DeBord's TV and Movie Prop Memorabilia Resource

Fun read.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links