New 1911 - Not As Expected - Page 2

New 1911 - Not As Expected

This is a discussion on New 1911 - Not As Expected within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe it's just me, but I'm having trouble reconciling "flawless" with "had a double feed issue so I TRASHED THE PARTS THAT CAME WITH IT ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 - Not As Expected

VIP Member
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm having trouble reconciling "flawless" with "had a double feed issue so I TRASHED THE PARTS THAT CAME WITH IT AND BOUGHT AFTERMARKET PARTS." Isn't that kinda the definition of "tweaking?"

If I call something "flawless," that means there, well, were no flaws that needed correcting.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm having trouble reconciling "flawless" with "had a double feed issue so I TRASHED THE PARTS THAT CAME WITH IT AND BOUGHT AFTERMARKET PARTS." Isn't that kinda the definition of "tweaking?"

If I call something "flawless," that means there, well, were no flaws that needed correcting.
    Fair enough - but nobody used "flawless" to describe my 5". That appellation was applied to the 4" which has had no issues and to other people's guns. I also did not trash the stock mags, but have them in the range set, not the carry set. Ditched was probably a poor choice of words on my part. I suppose you could call replacing a mag tweaking, but it is minor tweaking and not the sort of issues that I feared might be in store. I bought the McCormick mags prior to taking delivery of the gun simply due to their reputation. I have put a couple of hundred more rounds down range with the stock mags and they have not had other issues. The McCormick mags do, however, have a more well sorted out feel to them.

Here is a target from 1 mag (7 rounds + 1 in the pipe to start) from my 5" at the range today @ 7 yards - with the stock mags in the rotation. The gun is not a tack driver, but it is more than capable for defensive carry. A trigger job would likely get the group closer together - especially the flyer, but I plan to keep this one stock for carry purposes. I hope to improve my results with practice, but I am not disappointed with the gun's capabilities, mine however ...

Last edited by ksholder; December 6th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

GM

The problem is not the 1911 platform, the problem is that many manufacturers do not build the 1911 to John Browning´s specifications; they build them to their own specifications. That and the fact that many owners like to play gunsmith (not always a very good idea )
    Of all my semi-autos - and I use to buy quality firearms - the ones that I trust most are the 1911´s and the BHP
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

"...the ones that I trust most are the 1911´s and the BHP."

Me too.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Send it back. There's definitely something wrong with it. It's not supposed to work like that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I didn't say anything about the platform. I said that "flawless" does not equal "had a double feed," seeing as double feeding is certainly a flaw.

It's no secret that I think the M1911 is more hype, nostalgia, and elitism than anything else, but that doesn't mean they can't be reliable. They just aren't AS reliable - across the full spectrum of manufacturers, deviations from "gospel," etc - as some other designs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    I didn't say anything about the platform. I said that "flawless" does not equal "had a double feed," seeing as double feeding is certainly a flaw.
    See my prior post. Nobody said anything about my 5" being flawless, that was the 4" which has not had a problem.

It's no secret that I think the M1911 is more hype, nostalgia, and elitism than anything else, but that doesn't mean they can't be reliable. They just aren't AS reliable - across the full spectrum of manufacturers, deviations from "gospel," etc - as some other designs.
    The only problem with this line of logic is that except for the 1911, there are not many other "platforms" that are essentially in the public domain. What other models are made by multiple manufacturers? Build a knock off G21 and call it a G21 and you will have Glock's lawyers raining down cease and desist orders on your head day and night. Glock makes Glocks, there are no other makers of the Glock platform. The same can be said for other manufacturers for all their proprietary designs - the 1911 not being among them.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I think you are just bitter that you can't carry one as a duty weapon.

Out of my SA 1911's, only one has ever had any issues, and that was my GI, in the first 100 rounds, it had a few ftf's. But I'm at like 1500 rounds through it now, with no other issues. Neither of my Loadeds have near that round count, but they have not had any issues.

My Auto-Ordinance GI however, does seem to be a bit more picky about what I feed it.

For me, the 1911 just shoots the best. Its like when I pick up an M-16, shooting it is just instinctive for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    OK, here is a pic of my Springer Loaded Combat - as it currently stands. Rocky from Pure Kustom is helping me out with new grips and I will repost here when they are installed. The transformation should be profound.

That sure is a sweet looking gun. I wish I had a 1911. Well maybe one day. Enjoy!!
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I hear you. I bought a 2001 model stainless Loaded 1911-A1 this summer and it feeds hollowpoints as well as hardball. I probably need to sent it in to Springfield to have it serviced. But as bad as their service is, I would probably have it back in four days at no charge.
    wow, Springfield Armory has bad service?

Not according to all the 1911 website forums. SA's service is beyond reproach. I collect Springers and always have at least one of them at the Custom shop being upgraded, I have a SA Compact (no longer made except as a custom order) there right now.

I am actually shocked to hear SA's service bad mouthed, i have never read that anywhere else.
    Bud

When the cute TV reporter asked the Texas Ranger why he shot the bank robber six times with his.45, he replied, ""Cause they don't make a .50"[/I]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I hear you. I bought a 2001 model stainless Loaded 1911-A1 this summer and it feeds hollowpoints as well as hardball. I probably need to sent it in to Springfield to have it serviced. But as bad as their service is, I would probably have it back in four days at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMan5 View Post
    wow, Springfield Armory has bad service?

Not according to all the 1911 website forums. SA's service is beyond reproach. I collect Springers and always have at least one of them at the Custom shop being upgraded, I have a SA Compact (no longer made except as a custom order) there right now.

I am actually shocked to hear SA's service bad mouthed, i have never read that anywhere else.

He's saying that the service is good, not that it's bad.

VIP Member
    ksholder - not making any statements about any of your guns in particular, just the use of the term "flawless." And yes, I realize that many problems associated with the 1911 are because there are so many manufacturers of "1911s." But, that's a fact that can't be ignored just because it's unpleasant - there ARE a number of manufacturers, modifications, mistakes, and miscellany out there. That has no doubt added to the issues we see with the (and I use the term in its broadest and most general sense) "1911."

And buckeye - if I could find a double-stack 1911 that wasn't 14" in circumference and was as light, reliable, easy to strip, easy to maintain, easy to keep going in adverse conditions, and as easy to run as some other pistolas out there, I might carry one on duty. Until that particular Unicorn shows up...nuh uh.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    All my 1911's are Colts simply because I believe in them and have never had a problem with any of them. As I heard a 1911 expert say once, "If it doesn't work right out of the box send it back. It's broke".

You don't have to spend that much to have a 1911 that will feed everything........try a Rock Island for $450.00 (1500 plus not a bobble). Bang-bang Course it doesn't have all of that baggage to carry around that the Springfield does......HaHA

I recently purchased a Springfield Loaded Combat 5” 1911, model PX9154LP with added factory night sights. Based on all I have read here about 1911s, there must be something wrong with it – it works - right out of the box - no tweaking required!!!
    LOL! IMO.....you probably didn't pay enough for it to have to tweak on it. Happy days at the range! LOL!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links