New 1911 - Not As Expected - Page 3

New 1911 - Not As Expected

This is a discussion on New 1911 - Not As Expected within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those grips are really nice! One day when I got the time, money, more money, and some extra pocket change, I'll get me a 1911 ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 - Not As Expected

Those grips are really nice! One day when I got the time, money, more money, and some extra pocket change, I'll get me a 1911 too!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My 5" Springfield, purchased in their early days, worked fine. No malfs. Sadly, it went away to help finance a SIG P220. My Series 80 Colt Government Models were similarly reliable, though one had a few very minor malfs in the first 200 rounds. My Baer TRS, which I do still have, has been 100% reliable. Admittedly, my shorter 1911s were more problematic.

I've been impressed with Springfield's 1911's for years and have had five or six of them over time.

The "Loaded" version is a good bang for your buck, IMO. I'm not suprised that the "Loaded" did as well as it did for you. Ifr I was looking for a new 1911 today it would either be a "Loaded" or a Colt XSE. I have both and while the "Loaded" is good, the Colt is just a hair better for the money. I mention that in case anyone else is considering a Colt vs Springfield. I'd be happy with either one, but went with the Colt Rail Gun because I wanted a Rail. It was either the Colt or the MC Operator. I finally put a bottomfeeding Colt in the stable.

My only "alterations" were to get rid of the FLGR, change the grips, and the judicious application of Skateboard Tape.

Biker

EDIT TO ADD: Just to clarify, I also have a Parkerized "Loaded" 5" 1911, in fact it's on my hip as a type this. I use both weapons, but in different roles.

VIP Member
    As promised, I am posting my new photos. Grips are from Pure Kustom - thanks Rocky. They make a real transformation in the looks of the gun.

It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

^ if i saw those grips without being on a gun id say they were tacky as hell. But honestly they look fantastic on your 1911! very cool.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

VIP Member
    Waltah - Thanks. I first saw them in a picture on a stainless 1911. I have been looking for something distinctive (unusual) for a month or so. I like the wood options, but everybody has them. Then I saw these and thought they were pretty cool. I also like how they are smooth unlike the stock rubber checkered grips. They don't grab my undershirt when I am carrying.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    You not having problems with it?

Hmmm.....wait, I know!

First, you need to go buy a Dremel...

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Waltah - Thanks. I first saw them in a picture on a stainless 1911. I have been looking for something distinctive (unusual) for a month or so. I like the wood options, but everybody has them. Then I saw these and thought they were pretty cool. I also like how they are smooth unlike the stock rubber checkered grips. They don't grab my undershirt when I am carrying.
    im in the same dilemma. looking for smooth grips but something unusual for my stainless 1911. the hunt continues.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

yeah...my "knock off" 1911's didn't run as expected either. Both my Metro Arms and RIA have worked right out of the box.

I bought the parkerized Loaded Springfield about four years ago and it has been a great gun also.
    I use mine to shoot IDPA and range use and it gets shot a lot. I got rid of the FLGR and replaced the trigger just because I didn't like the silver trigger.
    I did not keep up with my round count but it is fairly high. I had the ejector come loose, I fixed that myself and the plunger spring tube came loose and I replaced it. Other than changing the sights and grips I have left it alone.
    I have never found anything it won't shoot and I use a lot of reloads with SWC bullets.

They are good guns for the money.

VIP Member
    Frand - I also replaced the FLGR, thanks GASMITTY (post 6) for the link. This was not due to any functional issues, I just wanted to be able to strip the gun without tools. I have yet to shoot it since the conversion, so it is out of my carry rotation right now. I plan to get to the range this week and put a couple hundred rounds down range to prove out the new GR configuration.

VIP Member
    I just got back from putting 201 rounds down range after the guide rod conversion to the standard 1911 guide rod. All went flawlessly and the gun is back in the carry rotation. I do like the ease of taking the gun down for cleaning.

VIP Member
    To be honest, I was disappointed with the Springfield Loaded Champion I bought. While fit and finsh on the gun was good. It refused to feed JHP ammo. I tried several different brands, and different magazine to no avail. I will say that SA made it right. The gun was sent back on their dime, and turn around time was only about a week, but when you pay close to $900. on a weapon, it should function without having to be returned to the factory. The Sig 1911 RCS I had functioned flawlessly without a trip back to the factory. The DW CBOB I carry now has also digested anything I put through it, with much better accuracy than either the Sig or the SA I owned.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I recommend running a few thousand rounds through your 1911 just to make sure, I enjoy testing my 1911.

Those grips sure are pretty!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links