New 1911 - Not As Expected

This is a discussion on New 1911 - Not As Expected within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Springfield Loaded Combat 5” 1911, model PX9154LP with added factory night sights. Based on all I have read here about 1911s, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 - Not As Expected

VIP Member

New 1911 - Not As Expected

I recently purchased a Springfield Loaded Combat 5” 1911, model PX9154LP with added factory night sights. Based on all I have read here about 1911s, there must be something wrong with it – it works - right out of the box - no tweaking required!!!

I picked it up on Thursday and have put about 425 rounds of 230 grain ball and 75 rounds of Golden Sabers & Winchester Bonded HPs through it in both 185 grain and 230 grain. The gun has not had a hiccup except for a double feed early on with the factory 7 rnd mag. I ditched the factory mags and put in McCormick 8 rnd mags and have not had a problem since.

A friend bought a Springfield Loaded 4” Champion (Commander size) and we have put 200 rounds through it including a few HP rounds – no problems.

The trigger is a bit heavy, spec is 5-6 pounds. If you use it for carry and have to defend yourself, the relatively heavy trigger pull should keep the DA from using the hair trigger line of logic. If you don’t want to carry the gun, have a trigger job done and you will have a lighter trigger pull.

Based on my experience, I can recommend the Springer Loaded 5” & 4” models. Mine is now in my carry rotation. The only issue I have found with either gun is that tools are required to field strip.

- On the 5” you need an allen wrench to unscrew the 2 piece guide rod. The guide rod is, however, replaceable with a normal (non-full-length) guide rod and end cap for not a lot of money and then no tools are required to field strip.

- On the 4” you need a take down tool that is a clip that goes around the forward end of the guide rod. To my knowledge (I could be wrong), there is no fix for this.

I really expected to have issues with the gun based on all the comments I have read about 1911s needing to be tweaked to run properly or feed HP ammo reliably. I am thrilled with the performance of my new piece. If you are looking for a 1911 that works and does not have an amib safety, the Springfield Loaded Combat really fits the bill. If you want the ambi safety, the other Springfield Loaded models are all outfit that way.
    Last edited by ksholder; December 5th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I hear you. I bought a 2001 model stainless Loaded 1911-A1 this summer and it feeds hollowpoints as well as hardball. I probably need to sent it in to Springfield to have it serviced. But as bad as their service is, I would probably have it back in four days at no charge.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Gotta love a 1911...

VIP Member
    Glad to hear your new Loaded Champion is working flawlessly for you. There's nothing quite like the feel of an all steel 1911 on your hip...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have two Loaded models, and I have said it before, I think that they are the best deal out there when it comes to non-custom 1911's. Both of mine have been flawless, and are plenty accurate for combat handguns.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

For the 5-incher, you can substitute the standard stubby spring guide and plug for about $25... IMHO, the full-length guide rod does nothing but complicate disassembly. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1..._for_1911_AUTO

That was the first mod I made to my TRP; note that the "Professional" model (same parts as a TRP, but more hand-fitting) does not use the FLGR.

I think the Champion model uses a bushing-less bull barrel, so you're stuck with the more complex disassembly process.

You chose well - Springers are solid choices, and their customer support is top-notch.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I feel your pain. Just last week I finally got a chance to take out a stainless Loaded 5 PX9151LP that I've had for a while, but just not had the opportunity to try out. These were the first 62 rounds at 30 feet, standing, unsupported, mixed two handed and one handed. The first seven were slow to see where it hit, the rest were as fast as I could pull the trigger. With my 58 yr old eyes, I was not disappointed. My trigger is hitting right at 5 lb and feels great. The first thing I did to it was get rid of the FLGR, then the grips.

Here's mine, let's see yours:
    Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    Dang that Springfield Arms! How dare they destroy the "1911's need thousands of rounds, special magazines and a gunsmith before they work" rumor!

My Loaded Champion has never had a single issue and I'm going on close to 4000 rounds through it!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the great report. My next 'after the holidays' purchase has been narrowed down to a Springfield Loaded Champion 4" or a Colt Combat Commander 4". This report gets me closer to a SA which seems to have a few more pluses.

GM
    Glad you like the new Springfield. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    OK, here is a pic of my Springer Loaded Combat - as it currently stands. Rocky from Pure Kustom is helping me out with new grips and I will repost here when they are installed. The transformation should be profound.

Last edited by ksholder; December 6th, 2010 at 04:20 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Im getting me one of those guide rods so i dont have to carry an allen wrench everywhere.

To the OP- Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone, you'll ruin the reputation!
    FW21

VIP Member
    Do those Springers come with one of those fancy Brazilian wax jobs too?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    ...there must be something wrong with it it works - right out of the box - no tweaking required!!!
    You're finding out it's more hype than fact.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links