Two New Purchases

This is a discussion on Two New Purchases within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two more down. Three more to go to complete the "current" list. That list will most likely change before those three are had. Actually one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two New Purchases

Two New Purchases

Two more down. Three more to go to complete the "current" list. That list will most likely change before those three are had.

Actually one of these was not on the list, but was a find we could not pass up.

The H&R 929 .22LR was the one we could not pass up when we saw it in a LGS. $235 plus tax and paperwork etc. There is one just like it at another LGS but not in exactly same condition (not far from it tho), but this other store wants $299 for the one they have.

Of course here are the obligatory pics.

This one was on my must have list. The Springfield Armory XD9SC. Grabbed one before the end of the year so I can get 3 free magazines and another magazine holder under their free "give me" promotion.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A couple of nice additions.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Nice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very nice.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I once had the same H&R. It was a great plinker and often put meat in the pot. Not as pretty as the little Ruger, but the few extra rounds came in handy when chasing a squirrel around the trunk. When I was in AK, I used to pop ptarmigan with it. Those birds are really stupid. If I missed, they'd run to where the bullet hit and start scratching.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Very nice indeed. Great photography as usual, too.

I sold a bunch of those H&R 929's at a LGS years ago. I believe they were around $49.00 at the time. Now you can guess when I worked there...LOL
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    nce
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I've always meant to ask your photo set up..camera and lens?
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Distinguished Member
    Beautiful. Some time in the future, I'd like to hear a compare and contrast range report between the xd9sc and the g26.

Your photos are amazing too, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    I've always meant to ask your photo set up..camera and lens?
    Until this summer I was using an Olympus E-510 with the kit lens (14-42mm). Slik tripod.
    This summer I sold the Olympus and bought a Nikon D90. I currently have two lenses. A Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and a Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6

All of my recent photos since this summer, including these here, were taken with the D90 and the 18-135mm on tripod. That is all photos I've posted of the Glocks 26 and 19, Ruger LCP, and these photos.

I use 4 sheets of plain bright white printer paper. Slide my coffee table over close to a window that faces kinda NW. Put the paper down on the table (one large piece would be better because there wouldn't be any seams). I use just the natural light coming through the window and I use the 5th piece of paper as a reflector to fill in some of the shadow. I use the camera timer, and because of the bright white paper, I shoot anywhere between +0.3 to +1.0. I use aperture priority, f8 or there about, don't worry about shutter because I use the tripod and 2 second timer. I shoot in raw mode.

Then I use Adobe camera raw to adjust exposure, fill light, temperature, etc, open the image in Photoshop CS3, clone out the seams of the paper, apply unsharp mask then I add my personal framing to it.

Hope this helps.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Nice guns.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I once had the same H&R. It was a great plinker and often put meat in the pot. Not as pretty as the little Ruger, but the few extra rounds came in handy when chasing a squirrel around the trunk. When I was in AK, I used to pop ptarmigan with it. Those birds are really stupid. If I missed, they'd run to where the bullet hit and start scratching.
    Never, ever, admit you miss!

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Until this summer I was using an Olympus E-510 with the kit lens (14-42mm). Slik tripod.
    This summer I sold the Olympus and bought a Nikon D90. I currently have two lenses. A Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and a Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6

All of my recent photos since this summer, including these here, were taken with the D90 and the 18-135mm on tripod. That is all photos I've posted of the Glocks 26 and 19, Ruger LCP, and these photos.

I use 4 sheets of plain bright white printer paper. Slide my coffee table over close to a window that faces kinda NW. Put the paper down on the table (one large piece would be better because there wouldn't be any seams). I use just the natural light coming through the window and I use the 5th piece of paper as a reflector to fill in some of the shadow. I use the camera timer, and because of the bright white paper, I shoot anywhere between +0.3 to +1.0. I use aperture priority, f8 or there about, don't worry about shutter because I use the tripod and 2 second timer. I shoot in raw mode.

Then I use Adobe camera raw to adjust exposure, fill light, temperature, etc, open the image in Photoshop CS3, clone out the seams of the paper, apply unsharp mask then I add my personal framing to it.

Hope this helps.
    Absolutely...thanks for the thoroughness.

I shoot with a D300 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 or a 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. I love detail shots...but have never messed around with "product" shots like yours. I'll give your method a try this weekend and see what I can come up with. Have you ever considered using just a piece of white foam board? I just bought some of that this weekend for my 12 year old's science project...it was just a couple of bucks.

Actually I was just looking at reverse lens ring mounts for some cheap macro photography earlier today and was thinking about some of things I could capture on a pistol or even ammo...
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

That revolver looks very cool. Don't care too much for the XD as a gun, but it looks good too.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links