Need info before buying a Sig 1911 Carry

This is a discussion on Need info before buying a Sig 1911 Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gentlemen: I need info before buying a Sig 1911 Carry. This gun will be used for home defense & plinking. This gun is 7.7 ...

Thread: Need info before buying a Sig 1911 Carry

Need info before buying a Sig 1911 Carry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen:
    I need info before buying a Sig 1911 Carry.
    This gun will be used for home defense & plinking.
    This gun is 7.7 inches in lenght.
    This Sig has a 4.40 inch barrel.
    This gun is stainless steel and handles 8 to 9 rounds of ammo.
    My questions are (1) Has anyone shot this model Sig?
    (2) How is this gun's reliability?
    (3) This gun's recoil?
    (4) Accuracy?

Members thank-You for your input!
    I am a former Marine so 1911's I am not new to.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While I don't have any experience with that particular model, I did own a Sig 1011 RCS. I really liked it. It was a pleasure to shoot and was quite accurate. Never had any troubles with it as far as reliability goes. I didn't have any problems handling the recoil from it. The RCS is lighter than the Carry model, since the Carry is a full SS where the RCS is an alloy frame SS slide.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Love my SIG.
    I'm almost sure you'll get more replies in the next 12 hours. But if you don't, just Google the SIG forum and search. While this may be the best CC forum on the internet today, once in a while we look outside for specifics. Nothing wrong with that once you call this home.

VIP Member
    Let me give you all the info you need to know about purchasing a Sig 1911. Buy a Colt or Springer! All kidding aside, I am serious.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Let me give you all the info you need to know about purchasing a Sig 1911. Buy a Colt or Springer! All kidding aside, I am serious.
    I agree. I love my Sigs but will not buy another one of their 1911s. Last year I bought a SAS commander sized, custom Sig 1911 (listed for over $1,000 and I think I paid about $800 for it). First time I shot it the beautiful wood grips on the left side split screw hole to screw hole. Sig sent me a replacement set and they were absolute junk (mismatched color, etc.).

I thought, oh well, I will just buy the rubber Hogue grips which seemed to work real well.

The second time I shot it on a police range, it sort of hung up (would not close into battery). I pulled the slide back and released it a couple of times and finished the magazine.

I looked down on the shooting bench and the "man hole cover" style plug for the firing pin safety pin had completely come out of the gun which was what hung it up. After it fell out of the slide, the gun then functioned OK. I think Sig stopped putting this plug into the slides of their newer 1911s.

After this malfunction, it went back to Sig who reinstalled the manhole cover plug. Tried to buy a tool to keep it tight but they said it was not available.

I then started seeing some warning signs on the Sig forum about problems with the locking lug boss on the bottom of the barrel (or whatever you call it). This is allegedly not made correctly and tends to peen over time.

As I said, I love my Sigs (my old LE Agency uses Sigs exclusively) but I will shy away from any 1911 style guns they make (including the 238 but that's a whole other story).

Just some thoughts.

By the way, I am also shying away from down sized 1911s (although some of the Springfiled and Wilson guns still catch my eye). I will stick to my full size Colt and Kimber 1911s (all steel guns) for now. Traded that troublesome SAS gun described above for a Glock 36 and have never looked back. What a great gun if you like the .45 acp round.

Trooper Joe

1911s are full of problems, break in periods, and those things have been around for almost 100 years.

If you want a gun capable of accuracy as well as reliability, I would recommend a 1911 Sig Sauer C3. Golden sabers, FMJ, CCO configuration ( shorter, lighter grip, commander slide, night sights, bi-tone). A very "easy on the eye" gun that rides in Galco leather IWB, crawling, and sliding on the mountain, tracking deer, hiking, or at the BBQ. Sig Sauer sold me a rare dependable gun that gets dirty, and capable of looking pretty while slinging flying ashtrays from the bussines end.

10 1911s, and the Sig sauer C3, SA TRP, Kimber Elite carry Series 1, Baer TRS, are all based on what the 1911 was designed to do a century ago. A work horse, from the old continent, to frosty Korea, or humid jungles on south east asia, and several now driping sand out the holsters.

Try it, you will like it!

Links