Can't Carry tonight!

This is a discussion on Can't Carry tonight! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to go to a school concert tonight and because it's a school I can't carry! technically I can't even bring my CCW and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't Carry tonight!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Can't Carry tonight!

I have to go to a school concert tonight and because it's a school I can't carry! technically I can't even bring my CCW and leave it in the car cuz its on school property! I have leaving me and my family unarmed!!!!!!!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I have to go to a school concert tonight and because it's a school I can't carry! technically I can't even bring my CCW and leave it in the car cuz its on school property! I have leaving me and my family unarmed!!!!!!!!!
    Pepper Spray!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Pepper Spray!
    Great thinking! I will have to grab a couple cans today! thanks
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Yup having to go into schools sucks.
    Don't worry tho-nothing can happen there it's a drug/gun free zone.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

That's too bad you cannot bring it with you. Is that State or local law?

Elevate other considerations. More attention to parking location, OC, available unlocked exits and egress routes, high awareness.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

state law I believe, I will be on full alert! though like joker1 said its a drugfree zone so I am sure I will be safe.

Yep, same way in AZ. Can't carry/possess a firearm on public school grounds/property. I think in AZ you can have a gun in your vehicle, in public school parking lots, but they must be locked in a container and unloaded, but I could be wrong on that one. I wonder, are there any states that allow firearms on public school grounds/property? If there are, I would imagine that city/local laws then prevent the possession of a firearm on public school grounds/property at that point, making it moot on the ability to carry there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    state law I believe, I will be on full alert! though like joker1 said its a drugfree zone so I am sure I will be safe.
    If I were you I would find out what law prohibits you fro carrying.
    I know federal law (Crime Control Act of 1990) prohibits you from carrying in a school zone as you can see on page two of this document.
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5310-1.pdf

However, if the state of PA has licensed you to carry the firearm you might be OK to carry, but you should confirm this with a lawyer or local law enforcement if it's a state or local law that would prevent you from carrying. You would be in violation of federal law if you carried on school ground in another state even if that state has reciprocity with the state that issued the license.

Here is a letter from the ATF explaining this.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...za1995_ccw.pdf

Wow, didn't' realize federal law restricts firearms in a school zone (both public and private). I always thought restrictions pertaining to firearms, in a school zone, was controlled strictly by the States and also further by city/local laws. I guess that answers my question. Thanks for posting that info mandalitten.

In Colorado you can have a gun in your vehicle but it must be secured. No guns on person on any school property/grounds.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I’m pretty sure Utah allows CC on school grounds, so I think it’s a state issue, not a fed one.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    In Colorado you can have a gun in your vehicle but it must be secured. No guns on person on any school property/grounds.
    That is exactly what the federal law says, but it appears CO state law is similar.
    In RI there is a gun store that is within 1000ft of a school and they will not let you leave with a gun unless it's in a locked case or you have a CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I’m pretty sure Utah allows CC on school grounds, so I think it’s a state issue, not a fed one.
    There is definitely a federal law regarding this (see my earlier post since it has a link to it), but it's possible states have their own laws as well. If it's the UT law, it should be easy for you to find out. I would also think it's something they teach in the class you have to take to get a UT permit.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Iím pretty sure Utah allows CC on school grounds, so I think itís a state issue, not a fed one.
    i know Utah's colleges and universities you can. whitch is a state dicision. but i had never heard anything about there k-12 system

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links