Initial Impressions: Ruger LCR .38 Special +P with Hogue boot grips and XS dot sights

Initial Impressions: Ruger LCR .38 Special +P with Hogue boot grips and XS dot sights

This is a discussion on Initial Impressions: Ruger LCR .38 Special +P with Hogue boot grips and XS dot sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not shot this revolver yet, it's too cold outside, and my local indoor range requires lead ammo, of which I have none right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

I have not shot this revolver yet, it's too cold outside, and my local indoor range requires lead ammo, of which I have none right now in this caliber.

My wife purchased this gun for me for Christmas (), and its purpose was to be for a drop-in-the-PJ-pants-pocket-while-taking-out-garbage or as a second gun to be carried in an outer pocket during the winter where my coat impedes draw from IWB.

First impressions:

1. Trigger pull is way smoother than my old 642 or my friend's Taurus 85. I dry-fired it a bit. It's still a J-frame-sized DAO revolver, so the cam system can only do so much for what is inevitably still a longish and heavyish trigger pull. But it's a SMOOTH pull, and my inexpert mastery of trigger pull causes much less wobble than it did on the 642.

2. Boot grips actually have a slightly slick texture that I don't like. The boot grip may have gone too far in the opposite direction of the tackier and bigger Hogue Tamer grip on the standard model LCRs. That being said, there is still some give at the backstrap padding, and at least it has backstrap padding, unlike my old J-frame. My concern is that the sides and front strap are slick enough that holding on tightly may be rough. I think I would have preferred they keep the finger nub on the front strap and maybe left nubs or a little stippling on the sides of the grip.

3. Sights are great. The rear sight channel fits the standard dot XS sight perfectly. This is an outstanding sight setup for a small revolver.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It gets cold there? What's cold?

Hope it all works out well for you...when you get the chance to fire it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Love my little LCR. Enjoy it and congrats.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I will trade you the boot grips for my standards

Ex Member
    The LCR is on my VERY short list of 'next buys.'

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I will trade you the boot grips for my standards
    Might have to take you up on that... but I'll try shooting it first and see if it's not as bad as I think.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It gets cold there? What's cold?
    Well, it starts around 20 degrees if it's windy... but if it's still out, then 'cold' technically doesn't start until it hits zero. :D
    Hakkaa päälle!

Edit: The LCR is slightly harder to conceal than the 642 was. I think it's a tiny hair bigger, and the grips are bigger, primarily because the LCR's grips cover the 'backstrap,' such as it is.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Congrats! Sounds like a superb set-up!

You don't actually run the trash out in PJ's in Rochester in the winter? You're tougher than me!

My wife loves her LCR, which she now carries a lot, as compared to her Glock 26, due to her De Quervain’s tendinitis. Much better for her, and I carry it a lot now too.

Great choice, and good luck with the impending winter. Carthart PJ's, eh?

UPDATE
    I shot about 30 rounds of Winchester Ranger 130-gr. +P from this gun.

HOLY RECOIL, BATMAN!

It stings. Bad. It's shootable, but it's a little worse, subjectively, than the S&W 642.

However, it does come back on the target much better, and the grips are actually rock solid. The gun doesn't shift much.

Accurate, too, though the more my hand hurt, the bigger my groups got. My first five shots were all in the black at 7 yards, and then they spread out...

Great gun, just don't look forward to extended range sessions.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I am not going to downplay your experiences Sam, but with my 5oz heavier .357 LCR I have found none of those issues shooting full house .357 loads. i regularly shoot 50-100 .357 rounds a session. Maybe a move up to the .357 stainless steel LCR from the aluminum framed 38 LCR will help you with recoil issues.

I thought the lcr had a lot of buck too. I shot about 100 rounds of 158g swc for my first session. It shot really well and was easy to get back on target. I really like the little pistol. I too got one from my wife for Christmas. I really like how easy it is to CCW this thing. I have the hogue grips. I liked them better than the boot grips.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am not going to downplay your experiences Sam, but with my 5oz heavier .357 LCR I have found none of those issues shooting full house .357 loads. i regularly shoot 50-100 .357 rounds a session. Maybe a move up to the .357 stainless steel LCR from the aluminum framed 38 LCR will help you with recoil issues.
    In this case I think it's more the subjective recoil experience than it is the extra 5 oz., but who knows? I like the light weight, and it is quite possible for me to shoot it accurately, I just won't be firing any 10,000 rounds of +P down the range any time soon, is all.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Cool

I know it's a little bigger and a little heavier but it eliminates any of the above mentioned problems and it's still a Ruger. LOL

P18174701.jpg My SP-101
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I know it's a little bigger and a little heavier but it eliminates any of the above mentioned problems and it's still a Ruger. LOL

P18174701.jpg My SP-101
    Been there, done that, actually. The LCR is for carry while running, mostly, and as a coat pocket gun. My old SP101 was too heavy for the former and not quite small enough for the latter.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Good to hear impressions of this pistol, thanks for the review.

I bought my wife the same model LCR just before Christmas. She has not shot it yet.

We went ahead and swapped the grip to the larger Tamer style because, well that is what felt better in her hand.

We also bought her the Galco Black LCR Holster from shopruger.com but we did not like it. We exchanged it for the Mitch Rosen LCR Holster and she likes it very much.....very nice holster.

-VAguy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links