New duty/off duty combo

This is a discussion on New duty/off duty combo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into going back to a .45 for a duty gun. I used to carry a G21 and G30, now I carry a 17 ...

Thread: New duty/off duty combo

New duty/off duty combo

I'm looking into going back to a .45 for a duty gun. I used to carry a G21 and G30, now I carry a 17 and 19. I want to go back to the .45 but am thinking a 1911 on duty. ( Had 2 of them and got rid of them, never carried on duty) and a G36 for off duty (had one of those too but again got rid of it for the 30) Also thought about getting a gov't for on duty and a commander size for off duty. Wouldn't mind getting an ultra carry size for carry either. Anyone have any suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

2. Remove Ads

SIG P220 SAO. You asked.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    I'm looking into going back to a .45 for a duty gun. I used to carry a G21 and G30, now I carry a 17 and 19. I want to go back to the .45 but am thinking a 1911 on duty. ( Had 2 of them and got rid of them, never carried on duty) and a G36 for off duty (had one of those too but again got rid of it for the 30) Also thought about getting a gov't for on duty and a commander size for off duty. Wouldn't mind getting an ultra carry size for carry either. Anyone have any suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Jason
    5" with a Rail for Duty use.

5" with or without a Rail for Off Duty use.

My advice would be to not switch platforms, and going to a Commander Off Duty makes little sense, IMHO. If you want to go "smaller" go with an Officer's Model for Off Duty. Personally I'd carry the Duty Gun 24/7, but that's just me.

Biker

EDIT TO ADD: www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    HK45 for Duty and HK45 Compact for off-duty.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

After you read Hilton Yam's piece, take a look at:

Colt Rail Gun
    Springfield MC Operator
    Wilson Tactical L.E.

Folks, if I read the original post correctly, and I believe I did, it was stated that a 1911 was the preferred platform. The various suggestions have not addressed that issue by most of you responding.

Biker

VIP Member
    Springfield Operator with rail for both or a smaller Commander sized for off duty.

Also consider the Para full size and its smaller companion. I do not have the full size gun.

I think you will find though with the proper holster, mag and belt combo the full size gun will carry and conceal just fine.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Springfield Operator with rail for both or a smaller Commander sized for off duty.

Also consider the Para full size and its smaller companion. I do not have the full size gun.

I think you will find though with the proper holster, mag and belt combo the full size gun will carry and conceal just fine.
    +1 with that recommendation. Probably one of the best out of the box 1911s out there. They also make a smaller version if you are so inclined for off duty.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I take it from how the Glocks came and went like the seasons that you have some issue with them. There's an abundance of 1911s to chose from. Try before buy is all I'll recommend.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    SIG P220 SAO. You asked.
    Agree with this,also,any Springfield 1911 would be a good choice.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Anything but Kimber. Maybe I am just jinxed, but all three of my Kimbers had issues that made me wish I had just bought Colts or Springfields or Baers and been done with it. My Kimbers were 5" guns, and were of the much-worshiped "first" generation.

I agree about reading Hilton Yam's article, and as I had two perfectly good, reliable Colt Government Models back in my 1911 days, the new Colt Rail Guns seem a good choice. I carried full-sized 5" 1911s on and off the clock, and see no reason to go smaller. Experience taught me to have contempt for anything with less than 5" of barrel, this contempt encompassing Commanders. I had two that were temperamental, and one that I now feel guilty for trading off at a gun show; I should have had it crushed in a hydraulic press.

I have a 100% reliable 5" Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, which is a perfectly good concealment 1911.

In the 1980's, when Springfield made only a fairly basic 5" 1911, the one I bought worked 100%.

I used 1911s off and on for duty and concealed carry from the late 1980's to 1997, at which time I went full-time 1911 until 2002. In 2002, I discovered that my skinny hand (getting increasingly skinny with age) would not properly interface with the grip safety when drawing from the then-mandated Safariland 070 duty holster*. This was a perfect storm that only seemed to occur when using this particular holster, and it ended by on-duty carry of 1911s. This occurred even with extended grip safeties.

*The 070 holster compels the user to radically chicken-wing his wrist and arm, and releasing the two retention devices goes totally against the normal practice of starting the draw with the hand firmly in place high on the backstrap of the weapon. Had I known my PD would eventually switch to a different rig, the Safariland 6365, I would almost certainly have kept a 1911 "grandfathered" on my qual list.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    On carrying smaller 1911s off the clock: I actually found 5" 1911s MORE comfortable in concealed carry. Commanders and shorter tended to poke me in a certain spot, whereas the longer 5" guns bridge over this spot, and lay nicely flat. The reason I tried so many Commanders was for the duty rig, as the 070 rides so high, and I wanted a faster draw. I eventually tried a Government Model in an 070, and found I didn't have to unhinge my shoulder to draw the weapon, as I had feared, and the draw was not slow, after all.

As for concealing the full-sized grip, if I, at 6' tall, with a 31"-32" waist, and not the broadest of shoulders, can hide a full-sized 1911 grip, just about anyone can.

VIP Member
    Also the commander sized gun if perfectly fine for duty use and that way you only have to get one gun.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I carry 1911s on and off duty - full size S&W 9mm Pro Series on, Fusion 9mm CCO off.

Links