Para USA PXT 1911 Warthog?

This is a discussion on Para USA PXT 1911 Warthog? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ranburr Junk That the technical term for it? I see from your verbose response that you have had hours, nay weeks on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Para USA PXT 1911 Warthog?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Junk
    That the technical term for it? I see from your verbose response that you have had hours, nay weeks on the range with this pistol and simply prefer the lush polymer top heavy feel of the Hi-Point you found in the pond. Thank you for the insightful and conclusive report on this clearly overrated and poorly made piece of "junk"
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

2. Remove Ads

Bought one about 6 months ago. I had a Para Carry before and really liked it and I was looking for something in a 1911 with a 3" barrel. Got the gun home an did my usual safety check and to my surprise when I had the thumb safety engaged I could still pull the trigger. Luckily the gun was not loaded. I called Para the next day and they didn't seem too concerned. They said they would send me an RMA number to return the gun but I never heard from them. After waiting 3 days I returned the gun to the store and got a S&W 1911 Pro (outstanding gun). I would really hesitate to buy a Para again after their cavalier attitude toward a serious safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    That the technical term for it? I see from your verbose response that you have had hours, nay weeks on the range with this pistol and simply prefer the lush polymer top heavy feel of the Hi-Point you found in the pond. Thank you for the insightful and conclusive report on this clearly overrated and poorly made piece of "junk"
    The technical term would be "really, really bad junk".

I've put about 200 rounds through mine with nary bobble. Perfect size: small enough to carry, yet large enough to take to the range for extended target sessiions. Nice trigger, minimal recoil. And purty, too.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Let's try this again, Could you please elaborate? Why are they junk? Is your experience with one, or multiple models? Is it that you have had a bad experience with a PARA? Or are you a shareholder for Kimber?

WHY IS IT JUNK?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I disagree

While everyone is able to hold their own opinions, I completely disagree with this. I've owned a Para-Ord Hawg 9 for over two years now and fired over 3000 rounds through it, and I love it. In terms of reliability I have had no issues with it. My only complaint with my Hawg is just its width, with it being a double stacked magazine I feel it sticks out a lot further than my Kahr CW9.

DaveIMAG0185.jpg
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

I have the stainless Warthog and love it. It does have some weight to it...It has less recoil than my 27 Glock....
    Warthog has had over 1000 rounds through it and not a single FTF.

I had a para LDA/PDA. Would only feed ball ammo & FTF at least once per mag. Sent it in twice for work. Didn't fix it. Finally traded it in after a year of trying to get it to work right. Mine may be an isolated case, but Para is off of my list.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    I've had a few Paras (3) and here is what I like/dislike about them.

The good news is that they function well and shoot accurately. They have a lot of firepower in a small gun.

The bad news is that they are not quite to spec as 1911s go and anything you try to modify or upgrade will be a nightmare. The Paracote (sp?) is crap and will flake off in a short time and your gun will be ugly (I actually kind of liked how ugly my Paras were). Lastly, they have a very large grip and unless you have "man hands" you will not like them. In fact, most people find the grip to be much too large for comfort so if you have medium to small sized hands you're better off with something else.

ETA: Also mags are proprietary and pretty expensive.

So in conclusion I will say that, while Paras are not junk, you better handle (and shoot) one before buying one.

I don't have a Warthog, but I made a custom 45 the same size (but steel frame).
    Here is the only problem with them from my perspective: torque.
    Not recoil per se, but rotational force (torque) from the muzzle flip.

It takes you completely off target, no matter how strong you are.
    I was so disappointed after I built it, because I put all the bells and whistles on it (in terms of quality parts)
    and I wasn't nearly as fast on multiple targets as I was with my full size 45's.

I ended up putting a hybrid compensator on it (the gases jet upward through the top of the slide), which forces the muzzle
    downwards during recoil. Problem solved.

If you purchase one, consider having it ported. Ignore what people tell you about muzzle flash and powder burns from firing
    close to your torso. It's not true. (But to be fair, I've never fired it naked in contact with my side).

It's a lot of power in a small package.
    Also, since like a lot of us you like larger bore pistols, pick up a 44 Special snub nose revolver to shoot to compare.

I actually prefer to conceal carry my Bulldog Pug (44) over my 45.
    However, that 45 is about perfect for open carry in a belt holster, and in that case clearly superior to my revolvers.

You can't go wrong purchasing one, it's all in what you plan to do with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links