Ruger Automatics - Page 2

Ruger Automatics

This is a discussion on Ruger Automatics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger's semi's are as tough as nails and are reliable to a fault. I have two and if you want a semi in a survival ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Automatics

Ruger's semi's are as tough as nails and are reliable to a fault. I have two and if you want a semi in a survival situation, pick a Ruger.

My best guess as to why there is little talk of them in concealed carry circles is their ergonomics. From a CC standpoint, they are large, heavy and not very CC "friendly". Because of this, they aren't considered by many people a primary CC weapon, but rather a home defense or range gun.

If Ruger ever make's a smaller, CC friendly semi (like CZ's RAMI or the Para Warthog), I'll be first in line to give it a try.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Rugers aregreat guns....considered "overbuilt" by some--this adding weigh and bulk. They are utterly reliable though and seem to shoot whatever they are fed.
    Last edited by WJP9; July 11th, 2006 at 12:12 AM.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I've got a P93DC and it runs like a top.

It is a bit bulky, but that doesn't concern me. What I don't like and would like to find a way to improve is the amount of "takeup" the trigger has. It's worse in DA (about a half inch of slack) than SA (only a quarter inch).

The weight of it makes the recoil of a 9mm ridiculously light.
    Last edited by pete156; July 10th, 2006 at 03:26 PM.

I own a P89 and P345PR, the P-89 is a thick pistol, but the P345 is alot slimmer, and practically invisible in my K&D cochise defender IWB holster, and she's a very fine weapon also...When you were in your CHL course, which manufactuer firearm did you see the most?
    Desert Eagle .44 Magnum, Baby Eagle .45
    Glock 22
    H&K USP .45
    Ruger P89, 345PR
    Mossberg 590 special purpose
    Weatherby Vanguard .308
    Bushmaster M-4

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have a P94 Stainless in .40 caliber. I like the way it looks, feels and shoots. Field stripping and reassembly is very easy. I have CC'ed with it - but - it is a little large for that & I mostly CC with one of my others.
    I do wish Ruger would make some smaller .45's and other calibers better suited for CC.
    I heard a gunshop guy say a long time ago they asked one of the Ruger reps about this and he said Ruger wasn't interested in making anything geared for CC. That's a shame.
    Oh, I also love my Crimson Trace grips for it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have a P-85 and have owned it since the mid eighties. Other than a factory recall to fix a safety issue it has had thousands of round thru it and has been totally reliable. The military tested this model when they decided to go with the beretta and it passed with flying colors. Beretta just happened to be lowest bidder. Granted, there not the best looking guns but they are built like a tank and will last forever with a minimum of maintenenace and Ruger also has an awesome warranty. My only other experience with Ruger has been with an SP-101 revolver. Also awesome and well built. Personally I prefer Rugers revolvers over the others.

I like my overbuilt, clunky, hard to hide Ruger just fine.. I am overbuilt, clunky and hard to hide as well. I actually find it easier to carry than my Glock Model 22, but I try to keep that a secret among us Glock owners..

I think they show up at CCW classes less often because they seem to lack the "cool" factor of the Glocks, Sigs, and 1911's, also if a salesman at a gunshop is selling a new CCW weapon to a new CCW permit holder, I suspect they would rather sell a 500-700 dollar gun than that lonely $300 Ruger.. Just a thought..

PS: Another secret is that the Ruger autos may be just a bit more reliable than our Austrian counterparts... Where did that flame resistant suit go?

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    I have 2 P-89s and love them. As others have said, a bit too big for CCW but great range, car or home guns. Only problem I have had is they tend to rust up fast if not kept well oiled. I recommend any of the Ruger P series to anyone who asks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kastiron
    PS: Another secret is that the Ruger autos may be just a bit more reliable than our Austrian counterparts... Where did that flame resistant suit go?
    ...hey, let the glock zombies flame away..... I'm a glock owner and I'll testify that my brother's stanless P90 is a performer, at least when I pull the trigger, he can't shoot it worth a darn LOL
    its had no problems whatsoever
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have a battered P89 that I bought used for $200. Looks like heck but shoots great. After carrying my 1991A1 all steel .45 the P89 is very light. I have also CCed a HI-point 9mm. It is not any more or less concealable then any other full size firearm. The 1911 is slimmer but longer and heavier. The Hi-point C-9 is just heavier. You got to dress for it.

The only problem I have found is that with my generic Uncle Mike's nylon IWB holster. (more like a sock with a clip ) The mag release can get pushed forward, releasing the mag. Not something I want to happen if I need it. I'm going to look around for a IWB holster that is actually fitted for the P89, and I'll put it into my carry rotation.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I have a P94 in .40 S&W with Hogue grips. It is totally reliable and quite accurate. While I usually carry my HK USPc .40 IWB, I also carry the Ruger in a fanny pack when I have to leave my pistol outside of where I work. I find that it works well in a fanny pack and where I live, these are not unusual. It does give me an alternative way to carry that is comfortable. If I needed a truck gun, the Ruger would also be a good choice. It is rugged and dependable.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Stick
    I have 2 P-89s and love them. As others have said, a bit too big for CCW but great range, car or home guns. Only problem I have had is they tend to rust up fast if not kept well oiled. I recommend any of the Ruger P series to anyone who asks.
    Hit the nail on the head.

i have a P89.
    +1 on the fun to shoot and reliable.
    big, yes, but i carried mine for a while then got the 38 snub, then came the 1911's and never looked back.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

P97 makes a great CCW

If I had just one pistol (heaven forbid!) it would be my P97.

Put it side by side with other pistols such as 1911s, Berreta 92, Glocks, XDs, H&Ks and see how carryable it is...relatively thin compared to many of these...relatively ligtweight at 30 oz....and mid-sized in other dimensions.

I think it has an undeserved reputation for being "clunky". If you can carry any of the above, you can easily carry a P97.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I have a Ruger P-89DC, and it is a great gun. It is a little bulky for carry though, but reliability and accuracy are great. Good house or vehicle gun.
    Fear No Evil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links