Ruger Automatics

This is a discussion on Ruger Automatics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have four Ruger handguns...... Two P-series (P85MII and P90) and two SP101's. I love these guns and they are totally reliable. But (for me) ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Automatics

I have four Ruger handguns...... Two P-series (P85MII and P90) and two SP101's. I love these guns and they are totally reliable. But (for me) they are too big, heavy for all day concealed carry. For concealed carry I use either a Glock M23 or M27.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

I have a P85 mkii and absolutely love the way it shoots. It was my only carry gun when I first got my permit. It was heavy bulky and like Bud said it made a lot of noise while carrying. I still love it and shoot it often. My 17 year old daughter says it is her favorite to shoot. I now carry a Glock 27 much easier to carry. Great guns though.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    We all pretty much agree that they are reliable, good shooting guns. Thay are bulky, so why doesn't Ruger design a pistol more CCW friendly? I'd be willing to bet they have heard this all before.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The only ruger semi I have is an old mark 1 .I think they make
    good pistols just too big and heavy for carry.

Senior Moderator
    Thay are bulky, so why doesn't Ruger design a pistol more CCW friendly? I'd be willing to bet they have heard this all before.
    The only ruger semi I have is an old mark 1 .I think they make
    good pistols just too big and heavy for carry.
    Agreed. For the most part they are reliable and great guns for the money. It does seem to me that they are ignoring a large segment of the market, the Ruger name alone would probably generate enough interest in a lightweight concealeable version that would appeal to the owners of Rugers enough to get out and buy one.

That may be a result of the late Bill Rugers train of thought on weapons which was not exactly supportive of the rash of concealed weapon laws that started appearing all over the states.

In any case, it doesnt seem to be a very good business decison. The Ruger P-89 and up series is built like a tank, but the ergonomics of it suck. Almost everyone agrees that it feels "blocky" and the trigger is the worst of any semi out there. The magazine release is ridiculously small and the handle is about as friendly to the hand as a 2x4 stud is.

Their revolvers and .22 pistols are great and as solid as they come, but even that segment has been neglected for the most part. If Ruger would introduce a small 5 or 6 shot revolver that was geared towards the CCW crowd, Im sure that they would be a hit.

Am I the only one that feels this way ?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I agree with you HotGuns, they do need to be more market-geared in order to keep up. I think they have gotten out of touch with alot of shooters.
    Fear No Evil.

Did you mean to say revolver? The SP101 has been around for a fairly long time. 5 or 6 shots depending on caliber and in .22lr, .32HR and .357mag.

Now I do agree they need to market a slim compact auto.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hotguns, Great point. I do not know of anyone that hunts with,carries,or competes with, a Ruger centerfire pistol. Rimfire,I do.

To me them P whatever's are as fugly as the pistols that start with a "G". But unlike the "G's",I have no expierance with the Ruger's.

Reliable ?? Well built ?? Accurate ?? Maybe so. Pretty,hell no.

I have two of their remfire's and I absolutely love them. The 22/45 is accurate and has the best trigger that I have ever seen outta the box.

Could possibly (one day) own a Glock,but will never ever own a Ruger P something.------

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Beats me how Ruger's semiauto 22 pistols have such decent triggers and the P series have such awful ones.

Now the newer P's are not as blocky as the older ones, but still too big/heavy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links