Concealed hammer or not?

This is a discussion on Concealed hammer or not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, After several months of research and reading this forum I have decided that the Taurus 85UL in 38 special is the concealed carry weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed hammer or not?

Concealed hammer or not?

Hi,
    After several months of research and reading this forum I have decided that the Taurus 85UL in 38 special is the concealed carry weapon for me. I know that lots of people like the concealed hammer but I think the just look butt ugly. Also, I like the option to cock the hammer prior to firing the gun.

Let me hear your opinions. Help me decide. This will be my first snubbie so I need help. Have been shooting for over 50 years so I am not new to the task.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Remove Ads

I bought a J-Frame a few months ago and ended up with the S&W 638. I'm not a huge fan of the standard hammer since I wanted the option of pocket carry. The "hump back" looks ugly, but the shrouded hammer is very easy to put into SA mode. But then again, I'm more concerned with performance and convenience than looks.

I have no problem drawing my smith and the hammer is exposed. You learn how to do and practice with it and it becomes automatic.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I suggest you go to the candy shop and politely ask the salesman if you could place a j frame with a hammer and without a hammer inside of your pocket. Draw both of them just to see what snags. Of course you will want to use a holster once you are carrying it in your pocket. Yes, you can train to protect the hammer with your thumb so it won't snag, but that's just another thing to train for. In the end, simplicity is faster. I prefer a concealed hammer or a 638 bodyguard style hammer.

I prefer the look of a exposed hammer but I ended up with a SW 642 because I thought the concealed hammer would be better.

I don't like the aesthetics of the shrouded hammer it looks like a hunchback.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I have/prefer a weapon similar to the S&W 642. I carry mine as a BUG and not normally as my primary. This size weapon I often pocket carry or ankle carry, therefore lack of a hammer is one less item to interfere with the draw. If I have to present my weapon in a self defense situation, I personally will NOT be thinking about having to/or wanting to cock the hammer. I could care less as to whether or not it is asthetically appealing as long as when my weapon is presented, the look of it is sufficient to let the BG know that I mean business! It's not a beauty contest when that weapon is presented, it's meant for business. JMO Good Luck on your choice! Stay safe and train with whatever weapon you choose.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm a revolver guy from way back. I've always preferred a spurred hammer. I bought a S&W 442 with internal hammer and it is the most versatile carry weapon. I carry it as primary some and secondary access A LOT. I like it weak side pants pocket and also winter time strong side coat pocket. With the internal hammer, it can be fired multiple times from inside a pocket with no snag. Also, if you get in a scuffle or the BG grabs your hand, there is no possibility that anything can snag the hammer (clothes, hand, finger) and keep it from firing. In a self defense situation, the fact that it is a double action only gun should make no difference. It will be quick, adrenaline pumping, no time for taking a stance, aiming, closing one eye, and slowly staging a trigger. It will be pull it and bang. I also got a wolff spring set and switched them out myself and reduced the pull weight significantly.

I also have a S&W 49 with the camel hump shrouded hammer. If you like the option of manually cocking the hammer, this is the best option. I would recommend your SD practice be from DAO position.

I also have full hammered revolvers (SP101 and Police Service Six). Nothing wrong with it since the size and weight of them somewhat limit the carry options of pockets. In a snubbie 38, I'd go internal or shrouded.

Hope this helps....by the way, you can't have just ONE snubbie. They're addictive. I now have 4 and I want more. They draw me like a magnet in the gun stores and gun shows.

DSC01452.jpgDSC00888.jpg
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm a revolver guy from way back. I've always preferred a spurred hammer. I bought a S&W 442 with internal hammer and it is the most versatile carry weapon. I carry it as primary some and secondary access A LOT. I like it weak side pants pocket and also winter time strong side coat pocket. With the internal hammer, it can be fired multiple times from inside a pocket with no snag. Also, if you get in a scuffle or the BG grabs your hand, there is no possibility that anything can snag the hammer (clothes, hand, finger) and keep it from firing. In a self defense situation, the fact that it is a double action only gun should make no difference. It will be quick, adrenaline pumping, no time for taking a stance, aiming, closing one eye, and slowly staging a trigger. It will be pull it and bang. I also got a wolff spring set and switched them out myself and reduced the pull weight significantly.

I also have a S&W 49 with the camel hump shrouded hammer. If you like the option of manually cocking the hammer, this is the best option. I would recommend your SD practice be from DAO position.

I also have full hammered revolvers (SP101 and Police Service Six). Nothing wrong with it since the size and weight of them somewhat limit the carry options of pockets. In a snubbie 38, I'd go internal or shrouded.

Hope this helps....by the way, you can't have just ONE snubbie. They're addictive. I now have 4 and I want more. They draw me like a magnet in the gun stores and gun shows.
    I totally agree, I like the option of shooting in single action mode and cocking the hammer!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

IMO: a J-frame is intended for SD and that implies quick defensive action. I think cocking a hammer in a SD situation has the extreme possibility of leading to an accidental discharge. I'll bet that back when police departments carried revolvers the practice drill or protocol did not include cocking the hammer; it's more likely that the practice was against policy. Like someone said, for pocket carry the hammer is in the way. I would get the concealed or shrouded hammer model and practice with it for quick, accurate double action hits.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I prefer a gun for SD based on how good of a job it will do when it comes to saving my life; not based on how it looks.

This is even more true in Concealed Carry. I carry to live through a bad situation, not to make a Clint Eastwood movie.

Choose what you will carry based on the ballistics of the round it will send down range, the relablity of getting the round down range and ergonomics that match your physical ability to operate the weapon. How it looks should never factor into the equation IMO. Now if a SA/DA revolver is what works best for you then great, but I would never rule out other firearms based upon how they look.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    shrouded hammer, it is nice to have the option of cocking the hammer back, we were always trained to clear a building with the hammer back on our revolvers and double action semi-autos with hammers, just keep your finger off the bangstick and you have no problems, IMHO, get the shrouded model
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I just bought a Smith J frame today with the hammer exposed. I also at a Taurus 85 with the hammer exposed too. Never had a problem with it at all.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have the S&W Bodyguard J-frame. I like the ability to conceal it without worrying about hammer entanglement...but it sure is hard on the thumb to cock the hammer. I get blisters every time I take it to the range...which isn't very often because it's not my favorite gun to shoot.
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Well we all have different flavors. I purchased the S&W 649 357 with the shrouded hammer. I wasn't buying for looks but for functionality. I can DA or SA, use 38's or 357's. I like the 357 and it can be pocket carried although a little heavy.

I've always liked models with hammer spurs. I bought a new Smith & Wesson Model 642 in 1998. Thought I'd learn to like the double-action-only feature well enough but I didn't. Still have the revolver but don't often carry it. I like choices so want the ability to use revolvers single action. My wife took to the Model 642 though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links