Wolff Spring Sets on a S&W 442

This is a discussion on Wolff Spring Sets on a S&W 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bugdude's post: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=1#post1823223 raised my attention. Thoughts? Easy to do? This is my first revolver and the first positive I've heard of easing the trigger ...

Bugdude's post: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=1#post1823223 raised my attention.

Thoughts? Easy to do? This is my first revolver and the first positive I've heard of easing the trigger pull on this pistol. Curious...
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Replacing the hammer and rebounds springs with Wolff Springs will definitely make the trigger pull softer and a pleasure to shoot. Also, make sure you dry fire it a lot with snap caps. Which snubbie have you chosen to purchase?

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/cID3
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Administrator
    You might want to buy the complete spring kit and just install the new little rebound spring first.

The easiest way to get that rebound spring in and out of the rebound slide is to file a slot in a flat screwdriver blade so that it clears that little upright post.

also...make sure that the exact same sideplate screws go back into the exact same holes that they came out of because they are not all identical screws.

Do not pry off your sideplate - if it seems stuck or tight then just remove the screws and repeatedly tap the frame with the wood handle of a hammer or a plastic screwdriver handle and the sideplate will vibrate off.

The transfer bar will also fall out along with the sideplate falling off - No Problem...just lay it back in before you replace the sideplate as per this photograph that shows you where it goes.

Search my threads. I have one with a step-by-step with pics of my spring replacements. While I was in there, I also removed the internal lock. It was causing an issue during fast dry firing that locked it up and you'd have to let off the trigger for it to reset and then pull again. It continued to get worse and it is easy to remove. Also easy to replace if you ever feel compelled to do so. There's also, a great youtube video out there. I ordered the wolff shooter's pack for the S&W j frame. I also lightly sanded the internal contact points with a fine grit to smooth out the action. It made a HUGE difference.

link: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aul&highlight=
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I put springs in my 640 and 642; I think it's a more uniform pull with less stacking. The stoning on the rebound slide made the biggest difference in smoothness though.

Fortunately I was able to pick one up with no internal lock, so no worries in that department. Just don't see the point in those things Choices when I purchased were black - no lock or brushed - with lock. I would have liked that brushed aluminum but the beauty in these is their simplicity, which is negated with the extra mechanism IMO. Now I'm pretty stoked on the Black with a set of Rosewood grips from Midway

So I just ordered both the spring packs from Wolff. I've accomplished some groups with this gun already that I never anticipated achieving when I first bought it, but trigger's still a bear for sure. Really eager to see what happens with the new springs.

Thank you gentlemen!

I Replaced the factory trigger return spring (18# spring) with a Wolff 14# spring and the main spring (hammer spring, factory 12# pull) with a Wolff 8# spring. You'll really appreciate the difference. It isn't squsihy, still firm, but not overbearing.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I Replaced the factory trigger return spring (18# spring) with a Wolff 14# spring and the main spring (hammer spring, factory 12# pull) with a Wolff 8# spring. You'll really appreciate the difference. It isn't squsihy, still firm, but not overbearing.
    how does these mods change the reliability of the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by skorittnig View Post
    how does these mods change the reliability of the gun?
    Still goes bang every time. Removing the lock has actually improved reliability. The spring changes have improved my ability with the weapon with both hands. I kept the old springs, so if I ever felt like it impacted reliability I could just as easily switch them back. I don't see that happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Poundage is a new thing to me so not knowing what I'll prefer, I bought two "packs". That'll give me a selection of springs for both the rebound and mainspring to play with. To my recollection I think the mainspring pack consists of 3 and the rebound pack contains 5. Both include the "factory weight" springs also. Cheap too - $8 per pack. Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to it.

I'll update this when they arrive.
    Last edited by 3rik; December 9th, 2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    I put springs in my 640 and 642; I think it's a more uniform pull with less stacking. The stoning on the rebound slide made the biggest difference in smoothness though.
    BTW, can someone explain "stacking" to me?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    BTW, can someone explain "stacking" to me?
    As you pull the trigger experiencing more resistance as you pull until it breaks.

They have "shooters packs" that have 3 springs of each of various weights. That allows you to really customize the feel.

The new spring packs came in the mail today - that was fast..

I went with the 14# rebound and 8# mainspring per BugDude's recommendation.

Replacement was relatively easy considering it was the first time I've ever actually taken components out of a revolver before. Also polished trigger contacts as described by BugDude.

Very pleased with the results The factory set-up required a short break in period with considerable dry firing to smooth out the stock pull so I've been annoying my darlin' all evening breakin' in the new Wolff springs. The immediate results were substantial - a strong but much more comfortable pull with a smooth travel. Still getting a clean, crisp break.. And the more I abuse the snap caps, the better it get's...

I'm smitten...

Looking forward to a range trip perhaps tomorrow for further abuse. I'd still like to try out some other spring combo's in the packs once I get it broken in, just to see.

Congrats!!!! I'm glad you like the result. It really is as easy as it looks. Let me know what you think with a little range time. To me, it was a tremendous improvement...still firm and not squishy. Have you ever picked up an old Smith at a gun show that's had a bad trigger job? One that somebody cut the springs rather than replaced? They feel squishy and I didn't want that at all. I've been totally pleased and the result for me meant I can now carry and shoot it weak side as a secondary access weapon without the trigger pull being so heavy that it pulls me off target. I also replaced the main spring in my SP101 for DAO shooting. I left the factory trigger return spring as it wasn't bad.

Links