M&P40c dead in the water.

This is a discussion on M&P40c dead in the water. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was doing my daily dry fire reps last night. Everything was normal and then I pull the trigger. No click. Rack the slide ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P40c dead in the water.

So I was doing my daily dry fire reps last night. Everything was normal and then I pull the trigger. No click. Rack the slide and pull it again. No click. uh-oh. So I take the slide off and look at the trigger assembly. It looked fine. I pick up the slide and notice a piece of metal moving around where it shouldn't. The piece of metal at the very back of the striker assembly (I think it's what the trigger thingy hooks on) had snapped off. I'm going to call smith Monday morning and see if they will just send my a striker assembly. I'm glad I recently picked up a SP101 as now I have something I can carry in the interim.

This does however bring up a rather depressing trend in my CC career. Every auto pistol I have ever owned has had to be sent to the manufacturer for service due to failure except for the Glock 26 I owned which was horribly uncomfortable in my hands. About a week ago I posted a thread about how I wasn't sure I could deal with the 5 shots capacity of a wheel gun but I have to admit that at this point 5 shots in a all steel SP101 is starting to look pretty darn good...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Bummer, Rollo. You have had a run of bad luck. It's always good to have options...

Just out of curiosity, were you using snap caps?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, were you using snap caps?
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that. No, I was not. S&W states that they aren't necessary but after this failure I'm thinking they might be...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

5 for sure. So much for dealing with multiple assailants if you can't get the first one off.

Revolvers may have less mechanical problems than semi-automatics, but they aren't immune to issues either.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    5 for sure. So much for dealing with multiple assailants if you can't get the first one off.
    Amen to that.

Sorry for your troubles. I have yet to have an issue with my SA XD40 SC. Over a year with about 1,000 rounds through it so far.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Revolvers may have less mechanical problems than semi-automatics, but they aren't immune to issues either.
    It's not that I don't think wheel guns don't have their issues. At this point I think it's more a matter of I have had so many problems with auto's that I've lost faith in them. Who knows, maybe my sp101 will fail and I'll buy another wheel gun and it will fail and I'll be back to auto's.

Sorry to read of your problem Rollo.

I am also thinking snap caps might be a good idea, I use them in all my pistols for dry firing.

However, S&W should take good care of you...

Keep us updated on your situation.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Wow...sucks. S&W will likely want to look at the firearm. I'd guess they will take care of shipping both ways. They have really good service, but this being the holiday season I don't know if their turn around time would be that good. I know many manufacturers take a week or more off around this time of year and then after the new year begin inventory processing which further delays production and other matters.

Good Luck, but that really sucks. I must admit though the fact that every auto you've owned has failed in some way except your Glock was a bit comforting to me(glock fan here ). Hope it gets resolved quickly.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Administrator
    S&W is heavy into MIM (Metal Injection Molded) parts these days ( & for that reason) all Smith & Wesson firearms (unless they are vintage) are now forever off of my firearm want list.

And without even knowing exactly what specific part broke...just the fact that you said it "snapped off" tells me that it's a MIM part.

Heck, I am a guy that loved the classic S&W wheelies (especially the J-Frames) and my favorite rimfire target pistols of all time are my two classic S&W Model 41s.

In my opinion & now that I'm fully aware of the great extent that S&W is using MIM in order to cut manufacturing costs & increase production - S&W is now a sub-standard, low budget, gun manufacturer equal to or less than Taurus.

Just my personal opinion on that.

Which autos have you had problems with? Brand? Just curious.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Well I was gonna bring up the No problems with your Glock thing but decided not to, but since cmdrdredd did, guess it ok.

Sorry your M&P broke, at least Smith as an excelletn warranty and CS usually.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well I was gonna bring up the No problems with your Glock thing but decided not to, but since cmdrdredd did, guess it ok.

Sorry your M&P broke, at least Smith as an excelletn warranty and CS usually.
    I meant no offense Rollo. Glocks are reliable for sure but definitely are not for everyone. I'm sure S&W will take care of you.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member
    Good timing on picking up your SP101. I am sure S&W will get you going again, but it might take a few weeks.

With your luck, the revolver is looking a whole lot better for your EDC.

I just called Kahr yesterday. My mag dropped out 2 times on me and I lost confidence carring it. They are sending me a new mag catch.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links