Opinions on two gun purchase

This is a discussion on Opinions on two gun purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the first time since the bottom fell out, I'm going to get a bonus. She who must be obeyed has agreed to let me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For the first time since the bottom fell out, I'm going to get a bonus. She who must be obeyed has agreed to let me have some of it and I have been fantasizing while I await the cash. My thought has been to select a lightweight semi-auto for carry and a carbine of the same caliber for home defense. I have focused on 9MM for cost/availability's sake, and I also want to reduce my caliber assortment to a few key choices instead of the hodgepode I have now. I want to focus on bargain guns rather than the high end stuff. My thoughts now are:

--A Ruger SR9C (I like the feel and will add a hogue sleeve to flesh out the grip) and a Kel Tec Sub 2000

I am also pondering the M&P, but it costs more and the Ruger has a good reputation. And to complicate matters, I also have an RIA .45 so I could get a polymer .45 instead...and I like the idea of a Stoeger coach gun instead of the carbine! I know I'm taking you in a giant circle, but I've been doing it myself for weeks! I would appreciate any thoughts from the group, as there is a lot of knowledge here.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Get a handgun for the following combo and you can also use the same mags and save some bucks and carry weight too.

The 9mm SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK17, GLK19, S&W59, BERETTA92, SIG226.

The .40 SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK22, GLK23, BERETTA96, S&W4006, SIG226.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Glock 19 with a Sub-2000.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow, I can't believe I'm going to say this but you might want to..........consider a High Point carbine in either 9mm or .45.

I really think you do get what you pay for and I'm a professional purchasing manager and all that hoop la, but....I have a High Point Carbine in 9mm (the old style with an aftermarket ATI stock) and it's a hoot. I had problems with 2 mags but sent them back and go new ones and it's just a blast. Other than mag problems, the gun itself has been perfectly reliable.

Their handguns are huge, ugly and not as reliable (or so I hear) but the carbines are reliable. Downside is the limited capacity. On the highend you have the Berretta storm carbine in 9mm. It's much better capacity and reliable. It's also in .45 but is very limited in the capacity.

I'm also of the opinion that the keltec is a decent and fun little carbine.

I did the same thing but went with several revolvers in .357 along side a Marlin 1894C lever action in .357. It's just glorious!

I've also consolidated around fewer calibers and would agree with your choise to do the same.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy!

Gideon

Distinguished Member
    M&P9c and a 18 1/2" Mossberg 500 or 870 Express gets my vote.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I never understood the concern about caliber consolidation and such. You get what you feel you need. Are all your vehicles the same? All use the same size tires?

Get whatever handgun in whatever model in whatever caliber you feel will best suit your needs. While a coach gun is cool, and definitely serves its purpose, it simply doesn't beat the capibility fo a good, higher-capacity pump or semi. And in Ft L, you're likely to need the extra rounds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I highly recommend the SR9c but would advise to go with a pump, Remington 870 or mossberg 500 over the coach gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Get a handgun for the following combo and you can also use the same mags and save some bucks and carry weight too.

The 9mm SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK17, GLK19, S&W59, BERETTA92, SIG226.

The .40 SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK22, GLK23, BERETTA96, S&W4006, SIG226.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/
    ^^^ Bingo ^^^ If I were inclined to go this route, I'd go with the Glock 23 and the Kel Tec Sub2000 in .40 and then get spare mags for the 23 and a couple of the really high capacity Glock mags.

I wanted a handgun/rifle combo and went with a Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum rifle (also shoots .38s) since I already had a Ruger Police Service Six .357 and Ruger SP101 .357 as well as a S&W 442 .38 and S&W 49 .38. I can grab a handful of speed strips and be good to go (regardless of whether they're loaded with .357s or .38s).

My typical HD weapon is a Mossberg 500 pump in 12 ga. The handgun I carry around the house is to give me a chance to get to my shotgun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I never understood the concern about caliber consolidation and such. You get what you feel you need. Are all your vehicles the same? All use the same size tires?

Get whatever handgun in whatever model in whatever caliber you feel will best suit your needs. While a coach gun is cool, and definitely serves its purpose, it simply doesn't beat the capibility fo a good, higher-capacity pump or semi. And in Ft L, you're likely to need the extra rounds.
    Regarding the Coach Gun, it does do some things better than pumps. OAL is significantly shorter, which is good inside a house, and your follow up shot is faster. When I designated my Coach Gun as my HD shotty, my reload plan was always my 1911. The coach gun can certainly still be used for HD.

That being said, to the OP, a good shotgun is a more viable HD weapon (in my mind), than most of the pistol caliber carbines. But, if you are sensitive to recoil, or just want a PCC, then get one, personally, I like the idea of the carbines that share mags with your pistol.

If you don't have shotgun, I'd get one instead of the carbine, it is a more versatile weapons platform, and with slugs and the right barrel, able to reach out at least as far as a PCC. As far as the pistol, go what feels right for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Regarding the Coach Gun, it does do some things better than pumps. OAL is significantly shorter, which is good inside a house, and your follow up shot is faster. When I designated my Coach Gun as my HD shotty, my reload plan was always my 1911. The coach gun can certainly still be used for HD.

That being said, to the OP, a good shotgun is a more viable HD weapon (in my mind), than most of the pistol caliber carbines. But, if you are sensitive to recoil, or just want a PCC, then get one, personally, I like the idea of the carbines that share mags with your pistol.

If you don't have shotgun, I'd get one instead of the carbine, it is a more versatile weapons platform, and with slugs and the right barrel, able to reach out at least as far as a PCC. As far as the pistol, go what feels right for you.
    Dittos. A 12 gauge loaded with buckshot is a wicked weapon and great for home defense. If I were a dirtbag criminal I would much rather face the pistol caliber carbine. I would find the CC pistol that fit me best and go with the shotgun for HD. If I had my heart set on the Sub-2000 I would go Glock pistol to interchange mags as the others have said.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Pistol rounds are poor stoppers. You would be better served getting the G19 or 23 and a carbine in 5.56, 6.8, etc. or what ever rifle round you can handle. If you decide to go with a shotgun get a pump. I prefer the controls of the Mossburg 500 over those on the Remington870. I am a bit biased though as I prefer rifles over shotguns.

Before I sold my G22 to my son, I almost bought the sub 2000. Now I keep my EDC snub by my bed and my wife's Judge close at hand.

As far as home defense, I am thinking a dual combo pistol/sub 2000 is a good way to go. You should be good to go out to 75 yards. For home defense I would think that would be adequate unless we get invaded by a foreign army.

One other thought you may want to pass on to the boss. If the tax breaks that are being proposed actually happen, then you may be eligible for a windfall and can then by the coach gun too. As my grandson said to me, "you can't have too many guns, Papa". He's a good kid.
    NRA Life Member

I have more Ruger firearms than any other brand, but for pistols, unless you feel you need the thumb safety, just get a Glock. Seriously. Just do it.

I will echo what the others said - if you do not have a shotgun, get one. If you and/or your wife are recoil sensitive, then get a 20 gauge. Remington 870 or Mossy 500 - your choice.

This is my recommendation for defensive "priorities:"

1. Carry handgun
    2. Back-up handgun
    3. Shotgun
    4. Carbine

Start with the most likely (close range) threat, and then move outward. I find it highly unlikely that you would need to defend yourself from someone that is outside of shotgun range (imagine trying to convince a jury that you had no other option than to shoot someone 300 yards away...).

Hope you get a nice bonus!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    For reasons others here have stated a handgun/carbine combo in 9 is somewhat limited but there are some options

G19 and Kel Tec Sub 2000

Main advantage is they use the same magazines and the Kel Tec folds in half.

The Hi Point 995 is another carbine option but the mags are proprietary to the Hi Point.

The Marlin Camp carbine uses S&W Model 59 series mags so its another carbine that can be matched to a handgun.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    go with the high point carbine, its a great little shooter but tends to jam if not kept lubed, its not a Glock, keep it wet
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links