A little HiPower help, please

This is a discussion on A little HiPower help, please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a lengthy hiatus (kids, braces, tuition) I've gotten back into shooting, increased my collection and fallen back in love with my MK II BHP. ...

Thread: A little HiPower help, please

A little HiPower help, please

After a lengthy hiatus (kids, braces, tuition) I've gotten back into shooting, increased my collection and fallen back in love with my MK II BHP. I just pruchased the 75th Anniv. MK III model as well. The manual only provides basic lubrication instructions ("lube all moving surfaces" or something similarly benign) and a web search doesn't help at all.

I'd appreciate any suggestions; particularly regarding grease, compressed air, amount of oil and where to lube. I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to lubrication (ala Glocks) but not sure if this approach will work with the HiPower.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Hi-Power and am a minimalist regarding lubrication too. I clean after each use of the pistol and lubricate using light machine oil only. I don't do gun greases despite their supposed attributes. I use minute amounts of oil on all moving surfaces and pivoting parts' bearing surfaces.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    After a lengthy hiatus (kids, braces, tuition) I've gotten back into shooting, increased my collection and fallen back in love with my MK II BHP. I just pruchased the 75th Anniv. MK III model as well. The manual only provides basic lubrication instructions ("lube all moving surfaces" or something similarly benign) and a web search doesn't help at all.

I'd appreciate any suggestions; particularly regarding grease, compressed air, amount of oil and where to lube. I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to lubrication (ala Glocks) but not sure if this approach will work with the HiPower.

Thanks.
    I use CLP to clean my High Powers and then apply a light coating of Wilson's Grease to the Barrel, Rails, and other moving surfaces. The Trigger, Hammer, and other such are left dry.

Being in a dusty environment has proven to me that Wilson's Grease works better for my needs and doesn't attract dirt, grit, and grime. It also makes clean-up a cinch. I wipe with a paper towel prior to using the CLP, and find the weapon about 80% clean at that point. After using the CLP I wipe the weapon down again to remove any remaining CLP before applying the grease. The CLP also works well on the outer surface of the weapon as a rust preventive.

I hope that helps.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    I'm a heavy luber. I use Gun Butter or Weapon Shield and put it on until it runs. I have never had a problem with the purported over-lubrication. Last week in a conversation with Sig customer service, he even said that Sigs like to run wet; I described what I do and he said that was the idea.

Larry Vickers did an article sometime back about lubrication and he said that Glocks need minimal lubrication and mentioned 1911s, Sigs, and Berettas as needing to run wet. While these are not BHPs, they do have the steel on alloy, except for the 1911. So I would guess that the issue of running wet is due to the alloy frames, which is what the BHP does.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links