Ruger LCP v. KelTec P3AT v. Taurus TCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP v. KelTec P3AT v. Taurus TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was re-reading the February 2010 American Rifleman where they tested the .380 mini-guns. Both the LCP and P3AT had function issues noted in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP v. KelTec P3AT v. Taurus TCP

I was re-reading the February 2010 American Rifleman where they tested the .380 mini-guns. Both the LCP and P3AT had function issues noted in the article, mainly feed & extraction problems. FWIW, the Taurus TCP seemed to fare significantly better. To those of you that have these pistols, what's your experience on their function as purchased? I'm not interested in how the manufacturer's customer service handled problems, just want to know what problems, if any, you experienced out of the box.

Thanks!

Taurus 700 series (TCP 738 and 709 Slim) pistols are notorious for FTE issues after 300 rounds. Independent shooters are finding that weak recoil springs are the culprit, causing the semi-auto action to move too fast, causing the extractor to rip the rim of the case. The brass stays in the chamber causing a serious jam up.

I own a Taurus TCP and love it. I did begin to experience several FTEs after about 500 rounds. I found that Remington UMC extract 100% reliably, while WWB FTEs every three rounds. I am eagerly awaiting an aftermarket replacement recoil spring assembly, and a confident with UMC ammunition in the meantime.

The TCP is comfortable, and surprisingly accurate. It, unlike the LCP and P3AT, comes with an extra magazine and a carrying case. Once you figure out what ammo yours likes, and practice with it, you will find it to be a more than sufficient BUG or primary pocket pistol.

Oh yeah, it is made in America too!

Absolutely love my LCP and will continue to highly recommend it.

I have a Keltec P32 - not P3AT but the two are identical aside from the the caliber. I love this pistol. There's a very easy "fluff & buff" procedure suggested to help achieve proper function & reliability with these: http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm

YMMV - Some people just seem to get a lemon every now and then. I had 1 failure to feed out of the box, prior to some prep work. Since then mine has 1,000+ rds thru it, failure free.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

LCP - No issues with it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have only had my LCP 3 days (early Christmas present). Ran 100 rounds through it saturday. Mixed ammo, all hollow point. No problems. Still need more testing. Most of my family and friends have the LCP and one has the Taurus. My brother in law had a problem with his mag release on his LCP. My nephew and two of his friends were shooting their LCPs with Wolfe ammo and said they all experienced jams. The only problem I have with my LCP is that you have to line the front sight up at the top of the rear sight channel rather than in it or it shoots high. Once I figured out the sight picture I was suprised with the accuracy. At seven yards, 12 shots could be covered with a playing card. At 15 yards I was having a problem keeping the group within ten inch groups. I am sure that all of the micro 380 are capable of acceptable accuaracy.

I do not like guns with grips as small as the micro 380s. I have a Colt Govt 380 and it is much more fun to shoot. I wanted a gun without a manual safety for pocket carry. If they offered a 10 or 11 shot single stack 380 I would still be able to pocket carry it and would be much happier shooting it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    As far as quality the LCP wins hands down. Kel Tec's sell at the price point they do for good reasons and you just get the horns to often with products from the Bull.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

love the LCP and have had zero issues with it. It is a little ammo pickie though

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    My TCP has ran flawlessly since purchase in January. I have probably 400 rounds through it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

They are mouse guns, inherent to problems. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes a bad one. it really is a crap shoot with the little guns. Meant to be shot a little and carried a lot. I figured 3-400 rounds of what I was planning on carrying through my p3at ( buffalo bore .380 "+p") and if no issues then the weapon was GTG. Well I had no issues and fired 412 rounds through it exactly at almost a buck a round. Now it is used as a deep conceal weapon or a backup. I do that with all my weapons. So MY p3at is more reliable than the rest in my eyes. If it had issues, like my taurus revolver did, it would get sent back for repair yet never trusted again for self defense regardless of others track records with the weapon..... our forum friend Rollo has been having issues like this, it is just the luck of the draw and it is really easy to get turned off by a model or a manufacturer after a bad experience.

I agree with guiterman36, only a couple of things to add. I have a TCP, my brother has a KELTEC. The KELTEC hurts worse than the TCP when fired. I haven't had any jamming or FTF since a break in of 300 and a good oil down. Recoil is kinda harsh but then again look at how small it is. Also out of the three the TCP is the only one with a locking slide.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

We have 3 Ruger LCPs in the family...

LCP #1 (wife's) - recall; had the head of the takedown pin shear off - gun still fired, but had to send it back for repair

LCP #2 (my secondary) - no issues so far, close to 1000 rounds...carry it as a back-up to my Glock 26

LCP #3 (bought with the idea, now quashed, of sometimes carrying two LCPs instead of the G26/LCP combo) - been back to Ruger twice for feed and ejection failures, and dropped mags. I have not yet taken it to the range to test for myself (Ruger tested it with 100 rounds before returning it to me the second time, at my request).

My advice would be...if you can conceal a light weight (alloy/polymer) snubbie revolver, then get that instead. Take a look at the S&W offerings, and the Ruger LCR. Stay away from the new S&W Bodyguard .38 - it's still too new.

Unfortunately, snubbies just don't fit in my pockets - they print too much. So, for now, I'm keeping my LCPs.

Good luck to you!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Of the LCP, P3AT, and the TCP, the TCP is much easier to shoot than the other two and easier on the hand in my opinion.

I have worked through the issues that I had originally with the TCP as far as FTF, FTE initially, have probably 5 - 600 rounds through it now and feel pretty confident in the gun.

The guns are what they are, all the manufacturers have, and will have issues with these mouse guns, it is just the nature of the platform.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My EDC now is an alloy Taurus 85CH, I've had no probs w/ the gun, but want something smaller.

Farronwolf, what did you have to do to get the TCP running well? Of the three I listed, I really like it, but there are a lot of horror stories on TaurusArmed.net.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    LCP - No issues with it.
    +1 Have carried the LCP EVERY DAY for over 1 1/2 years,NO problems.Near 1k rounds no problems.Easy to carry even with CT lazer.GET ONE..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links