If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be? - Page 11

If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

This is a discussion on If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The main reason I'm going with a .44 mag over the .357 is in my opinion the .44 mag has better stopping power for defense ...

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

The main reason I'm going with a .44 mag over the .357 is in my opinion the .44 mag has better stopping power for defense against dangerous wildlife.

For hunting medium to large game and defense against such animals, I'll opt for a .44 mag heavy cast bullet. For defense against humans, I'd probably load it with .44 special rounds. For hunting small game like rabbits, squirrels and such, I prefer to trap or snare those anyway. But if I had to tangle with an angry brown bear in the woods, short of a magnum rifle round, I'd rather have the .44 mag over a .357 mag. Again, JMHO.

(If it was only one gun for defense against people only, I'd probably go with a G-19. But only one handgun to do everything including hunting, for the rest of my life, is why I went with a revolver in the big bore 44.)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

G19 with the grip chopped to G26 length. Gives me a little more sight, a rail, and ability to use a 10rnd mag (a whole lot smaller) so I can bend more actively and even pocket it. I could then use a 15rnd mag and grip spacer (with some custom work) for the full size carry.

I'd be almost as happy with a G26 but if I'm this limited to 1 gun, I'd go all in. The reality is that I'm really only doing this for the rail (1 gun and unlimited customization budget constraints).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The main reason I'm going with a .44 mag over the .357 is in my opinion the .44 mag has better stopping power for defense against dangerous wildlife.

For hunting medium to large game and defense against such animals, I'll opt for a .44 mag heavy cast bullet. For defense against humans, I'd probably load it with .44 special rounds. For hunting small game like rabbits, squirrels and such, I prefer to trap or snare those anyway. But if I had to tangle with an angry brown bear in the woods, short of a magnum rifle round, I'd rather have the .44 mag over a .357 mag. Again, JMHO.

(If it was only one gun for defense against people only, I'd probably go with a G-19. But only one handgun to do everything including hunting, for the rest of my life, is why I went with a revolver in the big bore 44.)
    I am with you on the big bore, but the only reason I was thinking .357 would be the flatter trajectory.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I am with you on the big bore, but the only reason I was thinking .357 would be the flatter trajectory.
    LOL... I was thinking bears! Big Brown Ones! (I like to trout fish in high mountain streams.) The competition may not like me being there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    LOL... I was thinking bears! Big Brown Ones! (I like to trout fish in high mountain streams.) The competition may not like me being there.
    Bark'n I can tell that you and I would get a long! Too bad you aren't any closer to WA, we have some nice trout spots I like to fly fish.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    M&P9c
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I think my go to would be either my Glock 23 or my SIG P250C in .40 cal. The .40 cal is a very effective round between the 9mm and .45 cal and the size of the weapons can be used for both home defense and concealed carry well.

A gun nobody has mentioned - CZ75 P01.

Plus the trusty old Mossberg 500A 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Bark'n I can tell that you and I would get a long! Too bad you aren't any closer to WA, we have some nice trout spots I like to fly fish.
    Oh, I can't fly fish... The only thing I catch with a fly rod are those standing next to me.
    (Anyone around me needs to be sure to wear safety glasses, and a mask to cover their nose, lips & ears. Or a motorcycle helmet.)

I use an ultralight set up with a spinning reel. I would like to try fly fishing again though. I think I could get the hang of it if people don't stand too close.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

As much as I would like to say my Pre 80's....1911's, it would have to be my most reliable buddy......S&W Model 36.....never let me down in 35 yrs.

I'd choose my old trusty Army side-arm: M1911A1 .45
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Toss up between Glock 19 and Keltec PMR-30 because whats not to like about 31 rounds of hot 22 magnum ammunition?!

Glock 19 for me. Second choice would either be my Kahr CW9 or Ruger SP101.
    God bless our troops!

Il keep my 1911.Pretty good caliber,could hunt with it if need be.Reliable,accurate,plenty of accessories,fun,plus i can carry it.Thats why i chose a handgun.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Colt Python .357 magnum 4" barrel - self-defense, hunting and ease of access to ammo
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Links