If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

This is a discussion on If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It would have to be my Ruger Single Six .22 with the additional .22 mag cylinder. Perfect for taking small game to survive. The .22mag ...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

It would have to be my Ruger Single Six .22 with the additional .22 mag cylinder. Perfect for taking small game to survive. The .22mag while not perfect against two legged vermin could be a viably defense gun if need be. .22 ammo is very plentiful and easy to stock pile.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

I think I'll change my selection from a Glock 19 to a 23. Someone mentioned the advantage of shooting multiple calibers out of a .357 revolver. I would get a Lone Wolf 9mm and .357 Sig barrel for the 23. Thus, you would have the option of three calibers.

I would probably go for a S&W model 60 or sp101 running 357ís and 38ís through them. or a Charter Arms bulldog in 44 special. Both revolvers could be used as a trail gun against large mammals and against humans

One handgun... Glock 19...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    It would be hard for me to choose anything other that the Sig P220, the Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel would be a very close 2nd though.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    H&R 9-shot .22, model 929. Great for plinking, good for birds/small game, small enough to be carried, feasible SD. Could carry lifetime supply of ammo in a backpack.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    It seems people are inferring some sort of need to use this pistol to survive some apocalypse - none was presented in the OP. I'm just saying - needing to carry a lifetime supply of ammo on your back or put food on the table with a pistol are HIGHLY unlikely events in "real life." I answered the question with the assumption that life tomorrow is exactly like life today, except for some reason all my handguns except one were gone forever. If I have to go Mad Max or something, perhaps my choice would change... Actually, no it wouldn't, but you know what I'm sayin'.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Well, since you have hunting & home defense tucked in there - I would have to go with a .44 Magnum revolver with right about a 6" barrel. For plinking I would go with .44 Special reloads.

Either that or the DESERT EAGLE semi-automatic also in .44 Mag.

Normally I would opt for a Colt 1911 but, I am really not too keen on the .45 ACP (in general) for hunting most decent size game & its "rainbow trajectory" would be somewhat problematic for many hunting situations.
    Of course the Desert Eagle would be quite a heavy hunk of steel to lug around all day every day for self defense but, I would force myself to suffer with carrying it all the time. Probably in a high quality shoulder rig.
    Plinking with the Desert Eagle could also get expensive but, I could "switch out" the recoil spring and shoot lighter reloads.

Just for plinking I LOVE the .22 rimfire but, "home defense" & "self defense" & most handgun hunting is off the table (for me) with a .22.

Also & as posted above .44 Mag ammo is heavy also and so a body would be limited to how much ammo could be hauled "on body" certainly not many hundreds of cartridges in combination with other necessary stuff.

VIP Member
    Tough question. The answer could be situationally dependent. If we are talking normal times, a 1911 - simply fun to shoot, I like a safety on my carry weapon and easy to find stuff for. If we are talking a SHTF armageddon type situation then a G21 - more rounds per mag, easier to carry much more loaded ammo, need fewer reloads and more reliable in extreme conditions.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Ex Member
    .357 K frame

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for the purposes stated in the original post, I think I would be most comfortable with my current 3" SP101 .357 mag. For the hunting chore, the 3" may be a bit disadvantageuos, but makes it an all around happy medium considering the other stated uses.

surv

I have one I've had most of my life. Been in the family more than my life...will be in my life the rest of my life.....and still a sweet shooter. Colt 1911.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Smith and Wesson model 29, I could load .44 mag for hunting and .44 special for self defense
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    S&W model 19, nothing else needs said.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I certainly wouldn't carry a lifetime's worth of ammo on my back, I was making the point that ammo is cheap and doesn't take up much space. One could certainly carry more ammo on them in the smaller caliber.

I've had much more use for a .22 handgun than my .41 Mag or .45 ACP. I carried the .41 BH all over AK and never fired it at anything except a rabbit, not when my .30-06 was so more effective on a caribou. I consider a .22 much more versatile and general purpose for the average guy than the larger handguns. So, left with one and one gun only, I'll take the .22. The .41 makes a mess out of rabbits!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links