If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

This is a discussion on If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther PPK/s. If I only get one, it should be easy to conceal and of reasonable power....

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

Walther PPK/s. If I only get one, it should be easy to conceal and of reasonable power.

2. Remove Ads

Well since I can keep my Henry .22 lever action, my .30-06 Remington, my .223 Marlin, my Mossberg 835 shotgun, my .50 cal muzzleloaders... I would probaly keep my Glock 23 for my only handgun.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Administrator
    Well, if we are wanting one handgun best suited for all purposes and those purposes are inclusive of home-defense and self-defense I'm just sort of surprised at a .22 rimfire handgun even being considered as a realistic best option.

I mean yer not going to do a whole heckova lot of hunting or plinking if you can't STOP an attacker or end a home invasion especially when invaders/perps may come in multiples as a deadly threat.

Just some food for additional thought.

Are we equating the importance of inexpensive "plinking" as being equal to defense of home & family as well as defense of SELF?

QK,

I would suggest that since the .22 wasn't the prefered caliber back 100+ years ago when folks really had one handgun for mulitple purposes it probably shouldn't be a viable option today with the increased number of caliber/platform options we have in our modern society.

Precisely the reason I went with 38/357 magnum. I would pick my 44-40 Peacemaker platform which was a prefered caliber long ago, but improvements make the GP100 a better option today.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I would say my G29 SF because it can do all things good.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Administrator
    Alright...I'm confused??? Do we get one lifetime handgun for ALL PURPOSES and we get to also keep LONG GUNS? Or do we only get one gun and that gun is a handgun?

Because it makes a HUGE difference in what folks would choose as a "best suited for all purposes firearm" that needs to be a handgun IF they also get to own multiple rifles and shotguns.

Before that is answered, I'll hang on to my Henry .22 Lever action rifle, my Marlin 38/357 stainless lever action rifle, and for my handgun, even though I really like the XD9sc, and my Kahr PM9, and my shot is not as great with ...this....I'd say I'd have to keep my Glock 19 for reliability, capacity, durability, and cost of ammo.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

one handgun, I assume that means the govn't has collapsed and there's only enough pistols for one per human in the hideout ?!? S&W model 686 6" BBL no lock.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, if we are wanting one handgun best suited for all purposes and those purposes are inclusive of home-defense and self-defense I'm just sort of surprised at a .22 rimfire handgun even being considered as a realistic best option.

I mean yer not going to do a whole heckova lot of hunting or plinking if you can't STOP an attacker or end a home invasion especially when invaders/perps may come in multiples as a deadly threat.

Just some food for additional thought.

Are we equating the importance of inexpensive "plinking" as being equal to defense of home & family as well as defense of SELF?
    I hope you are just joking here. I havent seen very many things around the world that cant be taken with a 22. That includes OKAWANGA preserve in BOTSWANA or KRUGER NP in SA. And that includes the US. Now , I would not want to intentionally take on Pachyderm , rhinos, Cape Buffalo and big bears, but I cant imagine anyone with any field experience doubting the 22 for killing a puny man or taking deer sized game. If ya doubt its effectiveness on a wide variety of animals, come down to Kentucky and I will be glad to show ya.

OOPS! Sorry, I just now saw where you said"best option", of which I totally agree.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; December 14th, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Reply amendment

Distinguished Member
    Same as the only one I own right now... Sig 228.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ruger GP 100, 4 inch barrel, stainless. Not perfect for concealed carry but will work, not the perfect hunting handgun but will work.
    Virtually indestructable if you do your part.

G19 is a good gun but I certainly would not want to hunt with it, well not anything large at least.
    Another vote for the GP100
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    I would have to go with my 2 1/2" S&W mdl. 66, or 3" SP-101...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Glock...26! Keep it "as is" for concealment, or add a G19 barrel and mag to essentially turn it into a G19 (minus the rail).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    We're obviously living in two different worlds.
    I'll stay in my world and you can stay in yours where you are OK with dispatching Rhinoceros, Elephant, & Cape Buffalo and charging Grizzly bears with a .22 rim-fire (not intentionally of course) & from a handgun no less.
    The wonderful world of the .22 rimfire as the ultimate effective instantly incapacitating man-stopper.
    Give me a break already & you're asking ME if I'm joking?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I hope you are just joking here. I havent seen very many things around the world that cant be taken with a 22. That includes OKAWANGA preserve in BOTSWANA or KRUGER NP in SA. And that includes the US. Now , I would not want to intentionally take on Pachyderm , rhinos, Cape Buffalo and big bears, but I cant imagine anyone with any field experience doubting the 22 for killing a puny man or taking deer sized game. If ya doubt its effectiveness on a wide variety of animals, come down to Kentucky and I will be glad to show ya.

OOPS! Sorry, I just now saw where you said"best option", of which I totally agree.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    But of course:

The Glock 19

And you said handgun, so of course I still get a Mossberg 12 ga, a Mossberg 410 hd, and the AR.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links