If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

This is a discussion on If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is everyone getting so worked up? This is suppose to be one of those threads with a question that makes one really think. Sure ...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Why is everyone getting so worked up? This is suppose to be one of those threads with a question that makes one really think. Sure no one handgun is going to do it all but try to think of one that would suit your needs like the OP said. The OP didn't specify a particular situation... it could be your on a deserted island or the end of the world happens or maybe you have to bug out and can only take one gun. It doesn't matter all the OP asked is what would it be if you could only have one handgun.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Remove Ads

Actually he said one handgun for your entire life to cover hunting, plinking, self defense, and home defense.

So depending on where you live, what game you hunt, how much you plink, what you feel is adequate for self/home defense, and how many shots you want to use to stop whatever your hunting or protecting yourself against, then it definately boils down to personal preference.

With that being said, lots of objections have been raised as to how effective the lowly .380 is for defense ect, I can't imagine how the .22 could be advocated for that purpose or hunting.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. It's everybodies own opinion. I prefer bigger calibers than most, butwould not argue with someone choosing it, and quite frankly, in competent hands, will fill just about any roll. The question in that respect is if the shooter is up to it. Maybe you don't have the skill to effectively use a 22, but the person choosing it does, has used it exclusively, and knows it's strengths and weakness.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^ "I can't imagine how the .22 could be advocated for that purpose or hunting."

Rabbits, squirrels, quail...rats--if you're really hungry. Hunting is more than deer. In my area, in my conditions, I can put more small game in the pot than big game, if there's even any left around. So it's relative when it comes to hunting" .22 for deer--underkill. .44 mag for squirrels--overkill.

I wouldn't advocate using a .22 for SD. But I'd use it if I had to. I wouldn't advocate using a .44 magnum for rabbits, but I'd use it if that's all I have. But in my lifetime, in my world, I've plinked and hunted more than self-defended, so I guess it comes down to a matter of priorites in selecting the perfect (?) one-handgun-only.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd cry leaving my 1911's behind, and take my Ruger .22 automatic. Ammo's plentiful, and if its not gonna be, then I've already got a lot, and it doesn't weigh me down. I "know," from experience, that I will eat if there is something around to shoot at smaller than me (& maybe bigger if I'm lucky and they're not).

Ahh, but we get into the OP's intent I guess.

He didnt' say that the handgun was the only gun we were allowed to have, simply we were only allowed to have a single handgun. Lots of difference in those two.

I will keep my .22 rifles for hunting squirel, rabbits, and other small game that need to be taken out with a clean head shot, while having my single pistol in .357 on my belt in case the hog comes through the brush, or heaven forbid the bad guy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    QKShooter, I think there is a misunderstanding. I am not advocating using a 22 for the largest mammals. I am just stating that there is not many things beside these that can't be taken with a 22, and I was not talking a handgun, but a rifle, although I did not properly reference either in that post.

A well placed shot from a 22 rifle will easily kill a man, and many game animals. Many people underestimate the utility of that little round.
    I agree with you 100% here people don't give the .22 its due when used properly.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

sig 229 9mm
    O. D. A. T.

Huh...one handgun...

Well, the truly waffling answer would be a T/C Encore or Contender; it can be a .22, or it can be a .45-70...or almost anything in between (or even bigger, in the case of an Encore).

A slightly less waffled answer would be a 1911/Glock/etc with conversion kits...which, truth be told, if waffling would be allowed, would more than likely be my answer...a 1911, to be exact.

But a no-waffling, straight-up choice would be a good .44 mag revolver; either an Anaconda or 629, with the edge going to the Anaconda.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waltherize View Post
    Well I don’t know if this has been discussed on some other thread, but here goes my question:

If you are told that you can have only one handgun for all purposes (hunting, plinking, self-defense, home defense etc.) for your entire life, then what would it be and why? Would it be an auto or revolver and what caliber?

Personally, I am thinking that I would probably keep my Walther P22, since it is light weight and easy to carry around, ammo is cheap and easy to find, it is generally reliable amongst .22 pistols, it looks cool to me, is fairly accurate, and it has many accessories (barrels extensions, laser sights, suppressors, accessory rails, spare magazines).

Am really curious to hear your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Exactly - the OP didn't say we were relegated to one FIREARM. I would have rifles/shotguns for hunting/End of Days; the pistol is for what a pistol is for - self and home defense when a long arm is inappropriate...
    Now that I have read through everyone's posts, and have become confused on if some people even read the original post. I will say this.

I would chose the handgun I have now as my EDC, the M&P 40S&W. I already do Carry it, use it for home defense, tactical shoot "plinking", although I don't use my M&P40 for hunting, I'm confident that a couple well placed shots on everything up to a deer would work.
    Middle sized for good carry/CC or OC
    Good capacity 15+1
    Good power 40S&W
    Great reliable gun
    Semi-auto to answer the OP question
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    My Father says S&W Model 19 .357mag 4 inch barrel... with the S&W Model 29 44mag in a close second, with a 6 inch barrel, (dirty harry's gun)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member
    Bobtailed 1911 commander in 10mm.

Would have to be either my Glock 19 or my S&W 686 SSR

Glock 19. Reliable, popular enough for accessories, and I live in a ban state, so new guns only have 10 round mags. I have 15 and 33 round Glock prebans.

S&W Mod 57 .41 mag 210 XTP's for meat 175 Silvertips for Zombies
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links