If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

This is a discussion on If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Glock sold in the U.S., that eliminates the .380....

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are allowed to own only one hand gun in your entire life what would it be?

Any Glock sold in the U.S., that eliminates the .380.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I love my Glock but if I could only have one for all purposes it would have to be my S&W 629 .44 Mag. I handload for this one and it is one of the most versitale handguns and caliber I know of. It will do anything I ask of it with the proper load.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Glock 23. Convert to 9mm easily.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by waltherize View Post
    Well I don’t know if this has been discussed on some other thread, but here goes my question:

If you are told that you can have only one handgun for all purposes (hunting, plinking, self-defense, home defense etc.) for your entire life, then what would it be and why? Would it be an auto or revolver and what caliber?

Personally, I am thinking that I would probably keep my Walther P22, since it is light weight and easy to carry around, ammo is cheap and easy to find, it is generally reliable amongst .22 pistols, it looks cool to me, is fairly accurate, and it has many accessories (barrels extensions, laser sights, suppressors, accessory rails, spare magazines).

Am really curious to hear your thoughts.
    Curious indeed. Since you put things in perspective and in an odd and unexpected sort of way............I'd go with the basic 1911A1. Why? Save it for another time and place........
    Don't mean to leave you hanging, but I'm short on time tonight. Otherwise, I'd take your thread down town and into a full page.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    you've all covered it pretty well; survival equals .22/.22 mag combo...but
    if life marches on as is I'd have to choose a .38/.357 combo to go with my Marlin 1894C. I'd probably want a 3" S&W J frame with adjustable sights. At times like this I wish I had bigger hands; if I did, I'd go with a Smith 686 or a Ruger GP100.

If it was one gun only for SD it would be my Kahr K9.

And if we every had to truly survive on one handgun we'd be in a world of hurt and if it was that dire, the majority of us wouldn't make it; no disrespect intended.

Gideon

My Gen 3 .40 cal. Glock 23. I have a 9mm conversion barrel for it, a 357 sig barrel, and a .22 conversion kit. So, basically I have a four caliber gun that can serve about any reasonable handgun application and I can use just about any common caliber of ammo except .38 and .45. As a bonus, it has never experienced a failure in any caliber mentioned (jury's still out on .22 due to low round count) during +4000 rounds. I hate the grip angle, but it is completely reliable and parts are plentiful.
    You live and learn, or you don't live long. - Heinlein

Easy... Model 66-1 2.5".

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by isme View Post
    I love my Glock but if I could only have one for all purposes it would have to be my S&W 629 .44 Mag. I handload for this one and it is one of the most versitale handguns and caliber I know of. It will do anything I ask of it with the proper load.
    Hmm a .44 mag for a rabbit or squirrel even?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Curious indeed. Since you put things in perspective and in an odd and unexpected sort of way............I'd go with the basic 1911A1. Why? Save it for another time and place........
    Don't mean to leave you hanging, but I'm short on time tonight. Otherwise, I'd take your thread down town and into a full page.
    Hey, would love to hear your thoughts / ideas...

Overall, I would pick my 686 with a 4 inch barrel ... sweet shooting gun and I can reload for cheaper than I can buy good grade .22 ammo.

That being said, I see some people making disparaging remarks about the lowly .22, I see the round as one of the most perfect utility rounds that has ever been developed. I know of a guy in MN who uses a .22 to take down moose that wonder into his dairy herd , the moose have chronic wasting disease and are actually mad aka crazy, anyway the gentleman in question, and I must assume others in the area , shoot the moose in the lungs and let the moose slowly suffocate. The moose hardly even flinch , just like when bitten by a horse fly, and continue to browse , then lay down and die.... I am sure that I will hear how inhumane that is , but if the moose were shot with a large caliber gun, the Holsteins would bolt and most likely get hurt. There is a reason that the .22 has lasted so long as one of the most popular rounds in the inventory.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Ruger GP100, stainless steel, 4" barrel, adjustable sights. I have two of them in this configuration; the one I bought new in 1991 or so IS my favorite handgun, period. In actual practice, I prefer carrying something a bit lighter and slimmer, like a K-frame S&W Model 19 or 66, but I can manage a GP100, and this one was used in one of those incidents that makes it a valued artifact of my family history. I simply will not part with it.

I did consider a .22 LR, but no, I would want my only handgun to be a centerfire revolver, and the .357 chambering would allow it to handle the lightest target wadcutter loads up to 200-grain hardcast mastodon killers. I might well get by if my only rifle were a rimfire; a magnum sixgun can really be versatile.

S&W model 66 4" would be my choice.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by waltherize View Post
    Hmm a .44 mag for a rabbit or squirrel even?
    Easy. I've seen 22 HPs tear up game much worse than a lightly loaded round nose 44. Bigger problem is hitting the damn things.

I have never hunted small game with a handgun, only deer, so choosing something in a large caliber that I could use for hunting... well, squirrel and rabbit never entered my mind. I would hunt them with something else if I desired.

Sig 229

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links