pocket pistol

This is a discussion on pocket pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello, looking into pocket pistols. friend of mine has a beretta it's a 8+1 .25 so, i think it's the bobcat. like the way it's ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: pocket pistol

pocket pistol

hello, looking into pocket pistols. friend of mine has a beretta it's a 8+1 .25 so, i think it's the bobcat. like the way it's just slips into a suit pocket. i have been looking at some different models. ruger lcp, kel tec and the s&w bodygaurd 380. not really crazy about the beretta just like the compactness so, i am looking at ones similar to it. haven't shot any of them so they are all still in play even the beretta. what do you guys carry and opinions on mainly the kel tecs. they are in my price range. have seen a couple of reviews on youtube and they seem to be the best for the value. opinions welcome thanks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Beretta pocket pistols....

.22 LR = bobcat
    .25 ACP = jetfire
    .32 ACP = Tomcat

I have a bobcat and jetfire. I don't carry either...
    I also have a keltec P3AT but rarely carry it anymore. Most times it would be if I didn't have time to get on a holster and couldn't offer a front pocket for my j frame I would toss the keltec in my back pocket.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If it cant fire a bullet of at least 158 grains at 800 fps , I have no pockets for it.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The minimum round for self-defense should be .380 and I believe that is still pushing it to the minimum. Forget that Beretta Bobcat. They sure are pretty and small, but a .32 ACP caliber is not worth it for self-defense. If you insist on buying a very small and ultra concealable pistol in .380, then look no further than the Ruger LCP. I suggest you also look at a snub nose revolver such as the Ruger LCR .38+P or the S&W 642 .38+P and sub-compact pistols in 9mm such as the Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Walther PPS, Kel-Tec PF9, Kel-Tec P11 and other sub-compact pistols in this category.

Here's a good guide for pocket pistols (a.k.a. "Mouse Guns"): http://www.mouseguns.com/pocksize.htm

This is what I prefer to carry in my pocket.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If it cant fire a bullet of at least 158 grains at 800 fps , I have no pockets for it.
    I used to think that way... I either carried my .45 or nothing at all. Since then I have spoken to many people and under gone training that taught me to think beyond what happens if pulling the trigger doesn't work.

Using insufficient resources wisely is better than using plentiful resources foolishly. A small gun in your pocket is better than having your .45 at your house.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have had a Kel Tec .32 since they first came out and I've carried a Beretta 950, 21, and a Tomcat at one time or another. But, about 90% of the time they were carried as backups, not primaries.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    This is what I prefer to carry in my pocket.

BINGO!!!! S&W 442. ultimate pocket gun. I have 12 handguns and my 442 is the most versatile one I have. It's a basic tool that should be in the chest.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The Ruger LCP, Kel Tec and Bodyguard would all suit your needs for a pocket pistol. If you have not yet shot one of the micro 380s you might want to rent the ones you are looking at and try them out. They are not the easiest handgun to master. If you are looking for a back up gun or will be limited to pocket carry one of the micro 380s will probably suit your needs. I am not fond of the little 380s. I have a LCP but have only had it a few days. I do not intend on it being the only gun that I have on me except in rare cases. It does make a great PJ pocket gun though.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

for my pocket pistol I carry a LCP or the S&W airweight 442 depending on the event of the day, my EDC is 40 cal G27 0r M&Pc good luck
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

The Kel-tec can use +p ammo the Ruger not. I am carrying the Buffalo Bore 100 grain flat nosed hardball in +p. It makes the Kel Tec really recoil but it hits almost as hard as a 9mm x 18. I have several hundred rounds through mine and except for a dodgy trigger which they repaired at no cost it has been a good gun. I drop it in a pocket in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster and you don't even know it is there.

Ruger LCP for me.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    S&W 642 in a DeSantis SuperFly and Taurus PT145 in a Ross Leather pocket holster are my pocket guns.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I really like my LCP, I rarely go out with out it.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I would try out as many guns as possible before buying one. Everyone's idea of what a pocket gun is varies greatly. I own the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380 and a Seecamp 32. They all pocket carry very easily and are very light. I have a S&W J-Frame (638) which a lot of people pocket carry, but I find to be very uncomfortable and it prints more than I would like due to it's cylinder. Don't forget that you will also want a pocket holster for any gun you try, so the fit different.

As others have written, try various pistols out and pick what's best for you. I highly recommend the LCP.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links