Ruger SP101 3 1/16" now what

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 3 1/16" now what within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wanting a Ruger SP101 with a 3 1/16 barrell for quite sometime. Well I have finally gotten one. It is used but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 3 1/16" now what

Ruger SP101 3 1/16" now what

I have been wanting a Ruger SP101 with a 3 1/16 barrell for quite sometime. Well I have finally gotten one. It is used but the lock up is tight as a bank vault and the cylinder gap is impressive. I wont be able to try it out untill this weekend. I am just wondering if there is anything I should do? I would like to smooth it out the trigger is a little sharp on the edges so I would like to round all the sharp edges the entire gun. What is the best way to smooth the edges?I know there are places and points that can be smoothed out to improve things. I know there is "IBOK" treatment but I dont remember where I have heard of that. I am open to suggestions. Thanks guys

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    A very inexpensive way to make the trigger itself more comfortable is with shrink tubing.

I've seen this done with some mouse guns, and it seems to work very well.

I've read about guys here sanding and filing edges and then polishing the entire gun to a high gloss shine with stainless steel polish. I love the melted look, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have tons of various metal polishes since I have an antique show car. I thought about shining it up without the rounding, but I'm most likely going to leave it just as it came (except I did put a wolff main spring in it to smooth out the double action pull). I do want a set of nice wood inserts...just haven't found the right ones yet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Ive considered rounding it out and then maybe beadblast it for a more uniform finish. I wonder what it would take to smooth it out and how durable the beadblasting or if there could be adverse effects. Certainly looking to smooth out the trigger on the inside and out.

Just shoot it the way it is and develop some callouses on your finger!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Check out the Ruger forum. There is a retired gunsmith on the forum that goes by the name 'Iowegan'. He's written a manual that precisely explains how to smooth out the trigger without ruining you gun. It also covers the GP-100, Redhawk, Super Redhawk and Security-Six It's the best $15 you'll ever spend. You'll also want to order a Wolff gunspring pack for the SP101. It took me about 1 hour to complete the job (I was going very slowly) and it made all the difference in the world. After reading the manual, I was able to smooth the edges off the trigger and any other sharp edges I found bothersome.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

First thing I did with my 3 inch SP101 was get rid of those crappy stock grips and slapped on some Hogue Mono-grips. Polished it up with Mothers mag wheel polish to a mirror finish. Loaded her up with Buffalo Bore and hang on.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I took a dremel tool to the trigger and slimmed it down to fit me . I installed a front Night Sight and light colored wood inserts in the grips. I also shined it up with Flitz polish. I call it my Pimp Gun.

I didn't like the sharp edges on my Kahr CW9 so I worked on it with a metal file followed by lots of Flitz. I don't see how you'll be able to work on the Ruger trigger and hammer however without taking them out and holding them in a vice.

On second thought, the best approach might be to get them out of the gun and then hold them against a fine grade grinding/polishing wheel. Like a bench grinder but starting with a fine grade working down to a polish grade wheel.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I think my biggest adjustment will be trigger take up and reset. I am accustomed to S&W triggers. I wont say better but different than my SP. I wonder if a spring kit would change this and make it more fluid and more of a postive reset. If I add the springs whats recommended?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you can afford it, send it to Gemini. Google their site and check it out.

If not...

Install a lighter main spring; costs $8 or so and takes 5 minutes. It dramatically helps the double action trigger pull.
    Install he woodengrip inserts; black and silver wood panels look great!
    Install an XS big dot or standard dot front night site.
    Consider sending the gun out for melting those sharp edges nd then have them bead blast finish the gun; VERY sharp!

You can break those edges yourself with fine snd paper wrapped around small wood pieces but it will be obvious that you did uless you hen polish the gun or have it bead blasted. Shom like it shiney, some like the sAtin textured look of bead blasting.

Lots of options friend. It's a really great gun!
    Gideon

Well if weather permits I plan to shoot it tomorrow. I am excited. I figure after that I will decide. At this point Im thinking maybe a spring kit and some grip inserts. Im unclear on which inserts at this point. I like bead blasting because I have access and I have done it previously sucessfully. I am normally not a polished type guy but thinking maybe stag inserts and polished. Then again I have a 7yr old and a 17 week old chances of me taking time to polish are slim.

Love the SP101!!!!!

Check this site for a set of Wolff Springs: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ductTabReviews

Check here for nice reasonable wood inserts: www.altamontco.com
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I love my SP101, and I just ordered a new Fist IWB holster for it.
    I would consider putting on a mono grip, but I just can't decide which one...I wish I could view some in person.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on your SP101. It's a great revolver as you know.

Some kind of Big Dot or Mepro sight is a huge immediate improvement. The springs were pretty well explained by the others. Mine came as a 3 pack so I did get to try the different ones out. The Hogue grip fits my hand very well and absorbs a lot of the recoil.

I spent a few days melting and polishing my SP101 to get that mirror fingerprint catcher look. Recently I used only Mothers Mag Polish on the GP100 and was happy with the shine that took only an hour or so (by hand). It's not a mirror but has a good look to it. Still may go back to satin though. Clean up with a scotch bright pad is fast and easy.

Check you messages in here for a document worth reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links