Revolvers are feeling the love - Page 3

Revolvers are feeling the love

This is a discussion on Revolvers are feeling the love within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found a nice site on the History of the Snubnose I've been lost in time, Good read when you have time http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm The Bodyguard - ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers are feeling the love

Thumbs up The Snubnose Files

Found a nice site on the History of the Snubnose I've been lost in time, Good read when you have time

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

The Bodyguard - And that infamous photo

Smith & Wesson's Fifty - By John Taffin

The Centennial, Smith & Wesson Models 40, 42, 640, 940, 442, 642, 340Sc, 342Ti and 340PD

The Smith & Wesson J-Frames - by John Taffin

The Classic Colt Detective Special .38 Revolver By Mike Guffey

Model 36 Chiefs Special Smith & Wesson .38 Special Snubby

The Smith & Wesson Model 10
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

OK. I've been pining away for another Glock. I was looking at the 36. However, I am now back to earth and in revolver country. I will continue to carry my 44 special in the rural areas and the wife just bought me an LCR for in town use. I should be good for another six months.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Found a nice site on the History of the Snubnose I've been lost in time, Good read when you have time

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

The Bodyguard - And that infamous photo

Smith & Wesson's Fifty - By John Taffin

The Centennial, Smith & Wesson Models 40, 42, 640, 940, 442, 642, 340Sc, 342Ti and 340PD

The Smith & Wesson J-Frames - by John Taffin

The Classic Colt Detective Special .38 Revolver By Mike Guffey

Model 36 Chiefs Special Smith & Wesson .38 Special Snubby

The Smith & Wesson Model 10
    +1. Thanks for posting the link. I LOVE that website!!! I've spent a lot of time on it and for anyone that likes guns at all it is a great read.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The Snubnose
    "Nobody knows who invented the snubnose revolver. That little data bit is lost in the foggy recesses of time. Some cowboy, sheriff, or bad-guy hit on the idea that if he sawed off the barrel of his revolver, it would come out of the holster a whole lot faster and maybe he'd get the first shot off. It would also be easier to conceal. So the snubnose revolver was born in a blacksmith shop whose name is forever lost. Some great ideas just happen like that, and there aren't any archetypal stories to tell about them".

"We can say that it was some time in the 19th Century, most likely in the American West, but most importantly, that wherever it started and whoever had the idea aren't near as important as the fact that it's still around, still doing it's job, still trusted by more people for self defense than any other firearm design that's ever been thought of."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    +1. Thanks for posting the link. I LOVE that website!!! I've spent a lot of time on it and for anyone that likes guns at all it is a great read.
    Cant get over the layers to this site http://pistolsmith.com/forums.php

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Always been a revolver lover.....have been for 50 years or so.....
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Cool

P19170917.jpgS&W 638

P18174701.jpg SP 101

I don't carry a revolver very often but when I do it's this 1994 SP-101.

A revolver makes me feel like a rookie and takes me back to the 60's. God I'm getting old.

I use to carry the S&W 638 as my BUG but now it is the wife's CCW.
    Last edited by Old School; December 19th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

IMHO, Nothing beats a J-Frame with +p In the pocket. Reliable, acceptable stopping power and very easy to carry. Also wheel guns (IMO) are a must for those new to firearms. My wife is not into firearms at all, but she can handle a revolver and that is her HD gun.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

I have always loved them my fathers favorite guns were a Rossi 38 snub nose and S&W k frame. But you wouldn't catch me defending my house with a revolver any time soon i'll grab the m&p 9c with a full size magazine and the Arredondo +5 with my x-grip. For me the revolver will always be a secondary carry gun for when a compact auto won't fit the bill.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    For those who have discovered, or rediscovered, the revolver for whatever reason or purpose it may offer to you...congratulations.

I would instead offer my condolences to anyone that carries a revolver. Inferior ammo capacity, far slower and more difficult to reload, an inferior selection of calibers available, and a trigger system that is much more challenging to shoot accurately. They are often heavier and much more bulky, making concealed carry more difficult, unless one goes with a real compact 5 shot model.

Nope, I will never be caught carrying a revolver. I could never live it down.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I would instead offer my condolences to anyone that carries a revolver. Inferior ammo capacity, far slower and more difficult to reload, an inferior selection of calibers available, and a trigger system that is much more challenging to shoot accurately. They are often heavier and much more bulky, making concealed carry more difficult, unless one goes with a real compact 5 shot model.

How so this is way lighter then a 1911 and it holds 8 shots of potent 357 mag! If anything a revolvers system is easier and more accurate to use!

I just love quoting

A snub-nose 5-banger actually requires more skill to use effectively. With only five rounds in the gun, there is a smaller margin for error – you can’t afford to miss. The heavy trigger and short sight radius require more skill rather than less to achieve accuracy. You have to practice with these guns. Actually, you have to practice with any handgun, but that’s another rant. Especially with the lightweight revolvers, practice can be unpleasant because of the brisk recoil and muzzle flip, so why saddle newbies with little pocket cannons that are going to discourage practice? The only rational reason to put a newbie into a revolver is that they like it better. There is a certain wonderful trustworthiness about a wheel gun. Autos are mysterious with a lot of strange parts and such. Revolvers are simple and obvious. If the newbie has confidence that the revolver is going to work for them when the chips are down, that’s the gun they should get. Then they should buy a case of ammo (and maybe some shooting gloves) and learn how to use it.

Another criticism of the snub-nose is that it’s underpowered – the short barrel doesn’t give the powder enough time to burn to develop adequate velocity. While the short barrel certainly costs you some muzzle velocity, I believe that this is a criticism based largely on yesterday’s ammo, and it should be revisited. With modern +p loads, the snub-nose can kick out a 125g bullet at 850 – 900 fps. It can spit out the 158g at around 800 – 850 fps. At 900 fps a 125g bullet can shoot clean through a normal sized human being. While the .38 Special lacks the terminal ballistics of the .45 ACP and the velocity of the 9mm, its “power to weight ratio” is actually pretty good with the right ammunition. It is capable of doing the job. The power factor of the .38 Special revolver is the main reason I prefer it to a small auto like a .32 or .380 (and yes, I’ve read the Marshall & Sanow stats and I don’t believe a word of it.). The snubby is still the only handgun I know of that weighs 13 ounces and can launch a 158g bullet.

A good action job makes the double-action trigger pull a joy to use. A moonclip conversion means that speed of reloading is almost identical to most autopistols, and a speedloader is not too far behind.

The last of the frequent criticisms of the snub-nose is that it isn’t very accurate. This isn’t really true, but I know why people think it. The snub-nose is not a gun that is easy to shoot accurately, but it is capable of surprising accuracy. On an episode of American Shooter hosted by Jim Scoutten, I saw trick shooter Bob Munden (see http://www.bobmunden.com/ ) hit a balloon the size of a saucer at 150 yards with a snub-nose .38. I think he had to fire twice, once to get the range and then the second shot hit. I have proven it to myself by consistently knocking down the small 18” tall x 6” wide pepper poppers at 25 yards. Now, to do this, I have to really take my time, aim carefully and fire single action, but I have established to my own satisfaction that the snubby can actually hit things at “long range” when I do the things I should.

Recently, I suffered a pair of painful back injuries – one was the result of moving a load of drywall, and then a serious exacerbation of the injury happened in a fall on a set of stairs. I could scarcely tighten my belt enough to keep my pants up, much less endure a two pound gun and spare magazines riding on my belt and pressing against my lower back. In this sad state of disrepair, I was suddenly seeing my Airweight 637 in a whole new light. At 13.5 ounces and endowed with a really simple manual of arms, the snub-nose was a viable solution. I ordered a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster so I wouldn't have to endure a chunk of metal in my belt, and I had a rig that I could wear without discomfort.

The small snub-noses have ergonomics that even the smallest auto of comparable caliber fail to achieve. I have talked to police officers who have actually traded their baby Glock backups for j-frame revolvers because the small Glocks just don't conceal or carry as well. The snub-nose remains to me the most concealable of guns of significant caliber. The rounded grip and small front end allows the gun to blend itself into the natural curves of the human body, making it an extremely easy gun to make disappear. It is comfortable to wear because it lacks the corners and levers which can dig into your body, and it’s light.
    From http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/M637.htm

I'm done carry on!

Yup....Me neither.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deaheat View Post

How so this is way lighter then a 1911 and it holds 8 shots of potent 357 mag! If anything a revolvers system is easier and more accurate to use!
    Dude:

No one on this forum owns that revolver. It is an absolute monstrosity and abomination. A .357 with only a 1 7/8 inch barrel? That is absolutely crazy.

It would be effective at stunning an attacker with muzzle blast, however.

That's the beauty in a snub! I don't think I could ever live it down either - considering what I'd have to be wearing to be caught with it!
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Dude:

No one on this forum owns that revolver. It is an absolute monstrosity and abomination. A .357 with only a 1 7/8 inch barrel? That is absolutely crazy.

It would be effective at stunning an attacker with muzzle blast, however.

So what? Maybe you havent grown to the point of being able to effectively use a revolver, or have the skill level. It seems like everyone else here does. Sure, autos have more capacity, easier triggers , blah, blah.
    They also make automatic handi capp doors and ramps fpr the physical impaired. It doesnt mean they are better, just because they are easier to operate. Some people NEED them, others DONT.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links