Revolvers are feeling the love - Page 5

Revolvers are feeling the love

This is a discussion on Revolvers are feeling the love within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TX-JB Just because you can't control the recoil of a 2" .357mag, or shoot a 2" .357mag well, doesn't mean it's a ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers are feeling the love

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Just because you can't control the recoil of a 2" .357mag, or shoot a 2" .357mag well, doesn't mean it's a bad defensive carry choice. As stated before, shooting a short barreled magnum revolver takes a lot of skill, a lot of practice and it's not for everybody.

It's just not the best defensive carry choice, for you. No need to put down anyone's carry choice...
    The whole point of the .357 Magnum cartridge is to achieve high velocity. To so emasculate the round's performance with just a 2" barrel makes no sense at all. Recoil, muzzle blast, nuzzle flip, are all intensified.

It is simply a matter of common sense and practicality. Why make life harder on oneself???

I'd say the love is there

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (11 members and 1 guests)

I just put a Blackhawk 357/9mm on layaway..........can't wait to start shooting it.

"Recoil, muzzle blast, nuzzle flip, are all intensified."

So what? The same thing could be said about so many of the stunted automatics that are currently favored. Folks are still buying shorty revolvers and automatics.

"I just put a Blackhawk 357/9mm on layaway..........can't wait to start shooting it."

Now I would like to shoot and chronograph a Blackhawk with its 9mm cylinder.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The whole point of the .357 Magnum cartridge is to achieve high velocity. To so emasculate the round's performance with just a 2" barrel makes no sense at all. Recoil, muzzle blast, nuzzle flip, are all intensified.

It is simply a matter of common sense and practicality. Why make life harder on oneself???

I've shot the same piece of steel with a small 3" bbl (which includes the chamber) 9mm and a 2.25" bbl (not including chamber) .357 Magnum. I can say based off of personal experience shooting a steel plate with both there there is no emascuulation occurring. The impact point on the steel of both weapons told the story and there was no comparison.

If it doesn't make sense to you, then don't carry it. Rollo is 0 out of about 6 in different makes and models of semi-autos in the reliability department, so it makes sense for him. Many of them critical mechanical failures necessitating trips back to their birth place for breakages. Many factors lead each of us to our personal decision. I have 6 semi-autos and I've had 0 failures with mine, and I still carry revolvers (6 of those as well) as primary a significant amount of time. For many very good reasons that you don't understand or don't care to learn. That's freedom in America. If you don't like revolvers, you are welcome not to choose one. You are also welcome to visit the "You Are Stupid For Choosing A Revolver for SD" thread....surely with the thousands of collective years of experience with guns represented on this board, if that is truly the case there has to be a sticky, thread, or something clearly demonstrating that point. Let us know when you find it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's funny how different people look at different situations. I carry concealed primarily to protect myself and my family from those situations that may arise. For instance I live in a rural area so primary threat is probably 4 legged up to the size of moose. I carry a 44 special revolver. That is what I consider adequate although everything is a trade off.
    When I go to town, I now carry my LCR in 38 special. What situations would i likely encounter? Would the LCR be adequate? Again considering all of the trade offs, I think so.
    Now, If I was in law enforcement or combat, I would not consider my revolvers. Although General Patton seemed ok with revolvers in combat.
    I still love my revolvers. Even if I had to carry something else.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My new snub is with me no matter what either playing the BUG role or the main gun role.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Rollo is 0 out of about 6 in different makes and models of semi-autos in the reliability department, so it makes sense for him.
    Well, Rollo's experience does not count.

I'm confident that someone has put a voodoo spell on Rollo, for him to be having so many problems with so many guns. Either that, or he must have offended a Gypsy, who then put a curse on him.

Either way, perhaps he should himself consult a Medium or Psychic for help with his on-going problems. There may be a way for the curse to be lifted.

A lot of people have good results finding help on Ebay. Just go to the Everything else---metaphysical-psychic paranormal category. Lots of affordable mystics there who could help out with lifting a curse like the one that Rollo is experiencing.

Its either that, or else seek help from an Exorcist, in case Satan has possessed his pistols:

Does anyone know if Rollo has tried sprinkling Holy Water on his guns yet???

I have been chronographing different calibers and loads both factory and hand, and I can tell you there is no commonly carried auto, that gives any revolver of similar caliber a run for it's money, not even my 10mm. Now to qualify this statement, I submit it is the versatility in bullet selection and ability to vary pressure levels during reloading. T suggest that velocity and energy figures is the main indicator of effectiveness shows a gross lack of complete ballistic understanding.

The appealing thing about revolvers, and to me their greatest asset, is the versatility they offer. 9mm, 357 sigs, and 45 acp and the new kid, 40s&w are all fine choices for strictly sd, but are limited by case capacity and bullet selection to be as versatilie.

I carry semi-autos at times, usually with a small revolver riding shotgun. I sometimes carry two revolvers in tandem. I never carry 2 semi-autos together. Each platform has its own pros and cons...carrying both seems to balance those out nicely. Life doesn't have to be all or nothing...you can like both chicken and steak. This thread wasn't about putting the semi-auto down, but appreciating the various aspects of the revolver platform in light of there seeming to be an increased popularity lately amoung regulars on this board. If they were no longer relevant in the SD world, there wouldn't continue to be so many companies selling both tried and true models as well as new innovative designs. The market will decide when a product is obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, Rollo's experience does not count.

I'm confident that someone has put a voodoo spell on Rollo, for him to be having so many problems with so many guns. Either that, or he must have offended a Gypsy, who then put a curse on him.

Either way, perhaps he should himself consult a Gypsy for help with his on-going problems. There may be a way for the curse to be lifted.

It counts a lot to him. I doubt that he is the only person that has experienced failures with multiple weapons of various makes and models. I tend to read a lot of "My X had to go back to the factory" threads...and they ain't revolvers.

I too carry a semi. As a matter of fact it was my go to gun this weekend. When I do it's a g26.
    I will go so far as to say my favorite carry gun is a Colt or Ruger single action. Now that may be pushing the envelope of the revolver even farther, ( gasp! not a single action sixgun!), but I feel perfectly armed with them, and believe me, I know how to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It counts a lot to him. I doubt that he is the only person that has experienced failures with multiple weapons of various makes and models. I tend to read a lot of "My X had to go back to the factory" threads...and they ain't revolvers.
    Damn skippy it means a lot to me. I have more faith that my Sp-101 will go bang when I pull the trigger then any auto I have ever owned. Even my Glock.

Edit - Oh yeah. and .357 magnum gives me the warm freakin fuzzies.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Right on Rollo. The confidence in the equipment is everything. You can always make yourself better, but if the gun fails, is all for nothing.

Glad you chimed in Rollo.....hope you don't mind me referring to your experiences. I've followed your posts pretty close.

.357 gives me the warm fuzzies too!!!

azchevy made a comment that I put a lot of stock in. He basically said you have to carry based on your AO. If my AO was Iraq (IE if I was a soldier) then a 5 shot .357 wouldn't be my first choice as a side arm. If my AO was Detroit and I was a LEO a revolver wouldn't be my first choice. Either of those AO's might require me to lay down suppressing fire or do something else that cops or soldiers are required to do. Thing is, I'm not a cop or a soldier. I'm a civilian carrying a weapon for my own personal protection and for the size and weight there are no other weapons that I think will be equally as effective at putting a man down as my Ruger SP-101. Are there situations where it is not ideal? Sure. There always will be. I could get jumped my 27 uzi wielding ninja's. There's always a IF and there's always a THEN. For your average lethal force street confrontation (If there's anything "average" about a lethal force street confrontation) 5 rounds of .357 is historically more then enough. Is it my go to weapon for home defense? Nope. My Remington 870 is. is it my go to weapon for a zombie apocalypse? Nope, My AR-15 is. Would it be my go to side arm as a soldier or a cop? Nope, the Glock 17 would be. Is it a nasty fight stopping caliber in a small concealable package that I can carry day in and day out? Yes it is...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links