Revolvers are feeling the love

This is a discussion on Revolvers are feeling the love within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spot on, Rollo. Thanks for sharing that perspective....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers are feeling the love

Spot on, Rollo. Thanks for sharing that perspective.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Glad you chimed in Rollo.....hope you don't mind me referring to your experiences. I've followed your posts pretty close.

.357 gives me the warm fuzzies too!!!
    I don't mind in the least. That's why we are all here. To share experiences and knowledge. It's what makes a community great!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I hear the Glock calling my name whenever I go into a gun store. I have the revolvers and always will, but the Glock keeps calling my name to just buy one for S&Gs and keep one around.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I do have both, auto and wheel gun. I admit that you can carry most autos easier than a revolver, mine is a 357 mag with a 6" barrel and I love it, had it over 30 years still shoots like the first time I took it out. Autos are fun to shoot and more up to date (hip), but I still think i like the revolver better.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    ...I also love my Dan Wesson Model 15-2 and would not hesitate to use it in a home invasion type scenario...it probably goes Shotgun(if I can access it quick enough and get it running), Dan Wesson .357 4" then my primary CC weapon the Ruger SR9c.. hard to CC a full size 4" revolver so thats why I have the SR9c...but if I could Id have no problem using the .357 instead :)
    Start haunting the shops, the net and gun shows for a 2 1/2 inch barrel for your DW. I've got one for mine and carry it that way occasionally in a Don Hume 721. It works.
    I saw another 2 1/2 inch barrel & shroud last year at a gun show for $80 but had already blown my budget limit and couldn't pick it up. Haven't seen it back at subsequent shows since.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

"I will go so far as to say my favorite carry gun is a Colt or Ruger single action. Now that may be pushing the envelope of the revolver even farther, ( gasp! not a single action sixgun!), but I feel perfectly armed with them, and believe me, I know how to run it."

I can't quite go that far Glockman10mm though I like old original Colts really well. I'll tell this this tale on myself.

About 20 years ago I planned a big deer hunting trip in which I was only going to rely only on old-time guns. So I packed my Winchester Model 1886 .45-90 along with this Colt and my hunting/camping kit into the pickup for a few days hunting. The lease was in a very remote area of Texas and not so far from the border.

My brother-in-law's eldest brother hooked the two of us up on an excellent lease of more than 3 sections of land with a river running through it.

The camp consisted of an old ranch house that was dilapidated. Doors were missing and the roof was falling in in places. Cattle were able to walk through it along with critters of all sorts and a hive of bees had taken up residence in a wall. Only one front room had been walled off and sealed up from the remainder of the house and was made into a bunk house with rude beds for the hunters. The windows were covered over in thick plastic sheeting to help minimize the drafts.

I drove down the day my vacation started, looking forward to a few days away and some solitude. I relished the notion of being the only person on the place since I was going down mid-week. I turned in early that evening as I was whipped from the previous long week at work and the drive down. Dropped off to sleep, happy as a clam.

Long after midnight I awoke out of a sound sleep to find the room bathed in bright light, the window across from my bunk almost blinding me from light shining through the plastic sheeting. I couldn't resolve the light or it's source in my mind but it was so unnaturally bright that it was startling. It served to bring me to full wakefulness and alertness. I was alone on this place, many miles from the nearest habitation and there was suppose to be no such a light out in the yard at this time of night. I decided that there must be one or more vehicles outside with their headlights shining on the front of house. This was a known route for illegals to pass in traversing the region. Perhaps they were meeting out there now, deep within this ranch at the old abandoned house.

I reached for the Colt, inside its leather holster and lying on a table beside my bunk. What to do? The room was sealed and there was only one way out, the door which was on the same side as the window from which the light was shining.

I thought to load the Winchester but the ammunition was deep in my tote box and would be difficult to find without a light. There was no electricity and I didn't want to turn on my flashlight for fear of alerting those outside to my movement.

I sat in there in the dark for several minutes pondering my predicament. I kept hoping it was another hunter making a late arrival but none were scheduled to be there. Perhaps a sheriff's deputy or game warden and stumbled down into the ranch and was checking out my vehicle. Finally it occurred to me that whoever was outside was probably messing with my pickup, going through it in search of booty, and I couldn't abide that. I faced up to the fact that I was going to have to deal with the situation while relying on the Colt. I went to the door, unlatched it quietly and began to ease it open just a crack to try to observe whoever was in the yard without being obvious. As I gently pushed the door open I remember thinking to myself that I had any number of nice modern handguns back at home, all which would be infinitely better for dealing with this situation in which I found myself than an ancient single action .38-40 revolver with 5 rounds in it and no hope of a reload. My favorite Smith & Wesson Model 10, along with a handy speed loader or two which would have normally been found in a coat pocket, was back home. So were the 1911s and Hi-Power with spare loaded magazines.

With my heart in my mouth in anticipation of what I would see when I peeped, I looked out through the crack in the door .... to find a full moon, low in the eastern sky and as big and bright as the clear, dry winter's air of that remote region of Texas could make it. Its brilliance shot through the plastic sheeting, giving the interior of the room a diffused and erie light.

I laughed out loud at myself and the tizzy I had worked myself into and ruefully balanced the Colt in my hand, fully aware that I'd felt woefully under-gunned when faced with a possible real need.

I dug a full compliment of .45-90 cartridges from the ammo box within my tote box, stuffed them into the Winchester, laid it on the floor beneath the bunk bed, placed the Colt back on the table, made sure the door was latched and got back into the sleeping bag.

I carried the Winchester again on some more occasions, the Colt too, but always backed it up with another sidearm, just for that extra measure of comfort.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Excellent read, amigo!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have many defensive tools to choose from. Rifles, shotguns, and handguns of the semi-auto and revolver flavor both. I choose the defensive weapon that best suits the circumstances I am heading into (knowing that you can't always anticipate what trouble may find you at anytime anywhere). If I were going to be camping in a delapidated house alone close to the border knowing there are animals and illegals roaming around, I would have made some very serious hardware choices accordingly. Nice story though. Thanks for sharing.

There's no "one best choice" or we would all be carrying the same thing and there would be nothing else on the market. Circumstances vary, and so may your needs. Even if a revolver isn't the best choice for your individual circumstances, I would recommend getting one as a plinker/range gun and exploring the uniqueness of this platform. If nothing else, it may expand your horizons and could make you a better shot with your other firearms. If you can accurately shoot a DAO snub with 14 lb trigger pull, then you have learned some fine motor skills and concentration that can do nothing but help your skills overall.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

My problem is I pick mine based on what I like. I have a " fighting combo" 44 spl revolver and levergun, that I can feed both from my cartridge belt. My AR would probably be a better choice in any fight, but these would really be the first I grab.

Revolvers are feeling the love.
    All I can say is, I loooooove mine!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    [QUOTE=deaheat;1830956]
    How so this is way lighter then a 1911 and it holds 8 shots of potent 357 mag! If anything a revolvers system is easier and more accurate to use!

I went to my favorite gun store to buy one of these last year. My gun salesman told me the last one she sold had to go back twice to S&W for a cracked frame. Each time was after only one range firing. The third time the owner traded it in. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about scandium frames.

ALL of my handguns are .357 revolvers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krazykeny View Post
    ALL of my handguns are .357 revolvers.
    That must get boring.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links