Revolvers are feeling the love

This is a discussion on Revolvers are feeling the love within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the last couple months or so, it seems the revolvers are really feeling the love by the members here. I've seen numerous threads lately ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Over the last couple months or so, it seems the revolvers are really feeling the love by the members here. I've seen numerous threads lately that have made me realize there are still a lot of revolvers in use. Perhaps some guys are just getting turned on to them for the first time, or old revolver guys getting back to their roots. Maybe some folks are enhancing their carry with the addition of a snubbie with their primary. Whether primary or backup or just for fun, revolvers are a unique device and a skill that must be acquired through a focussed effort of practice. They are also an art form with endless variations all their own.

Some folks see them as obsolete relics of a time gone by. They may never again be the military and police weapons of choice, and may never find their way into your carry inventory or your primary carry position...but they do have merits on their own accord and have a place in not just firearm history but in today's varied self defense roles as well.

For those who have discovered, or rediscovered, the revolver for whatever reason or purpose it may offer to you...congratulations. Explore the many variations and unique qualities that this platform has to offer. There's nothing that says you have to be either a semi-auto or revolver person. You can appreciate, have, or even carry either one or both.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carry both a semi-auto and a revolver. If I'm not mistaken BigDude, I have the same main choices as you do.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm just an old revolver guy stuck in a rut... stuck in a rut... stuck in a rut... stuck in a rut...

Group hug everybody!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Last few years it has been revolvers only for me. Sold my Glock to my son. Shot a deer this year with a Ruger new model blackhawk 44 special. First time hunting big game with a handgun. But lately I have been pining away for a Glock 36. Oh well. Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I carry both a semi-auto and a revolver. If I'm not mistaken BigDude, I have the same main choices as you do.
    I have 6 of each and mostly carry one of each at any given time. Summer gets a lot of 442 pocket carry by itself. Winter my coat pocket sees the 442 a lot. I carry my XD40sc and 442 together quite a bit...makes a good combo. The SP101 and 442 combo well together too. I'm just glad to see a revived interest in the wheel gun...it can serve some unique purposes.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Actually Im a young guy that just started. I actually switched now full time. A semi just doesnt feel right anymore.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

My snubby is just so much fun to shoot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Yep, gotta love those wheel guns. They are great for just about any task. I have just about given up hunting with long guns these days and gone the way of the wheel gun. It's more like bow hunting, having to get within 50yds or so, using factory adjustable sights. For SD, the snubs are a great asset. There isn't a better pocket pistol around. IMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'm going to assume that for many, if not most of us, a revolver was the first handgun we shot. For me at least, that was the case. I pushed that experience aside and filed it away some time ago to make room for the high capacity semi-automatic which I believed would fulfill any role assigned to it. It wasn't until I very recently bought my first snub as a quick fix to fill a gap created when one gun took a trip to the doctor.It was then that I experienced that old familiarity of the wheel gun. And that's what I think it is.. That familiarity that can't be replicated by a more modern handgun. There's something very genuine about the revolver. Though, I guarantee that many feel this same thing picking up a 1911. Future generations will feel this with a Glock.

When I started carrying it however I realized it most certainly played a role that could be fulfilled by no other gun.

Hey, vinyl's coming back too! A couple people I know are even re-introducing cassette decks to their stereos as well, in an effort to preserve the legacy of live recording. My pops has all the modern stereo gadgetry but when we hang out we listen to the old jukebox and the reel-to-reel.

Long live the analog pistol
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Perhaps it is the nostalgia of simpler things in simpler times. I learned to drive on a stick shift and while I drive automatics mostly, no driving experience is as fun as a manual transmission on a curvy road. The same is true with music. Listening to Hendrix, Cream, or the Doors on digitally remastered CD loses something to the warmth of the pops and cracks of vinyl. The original recording equipment and technology created a unique tinny sound during a time when creativity was used to produce cutting edge distortion effects not technology. It had a warmth that can't be duplicated digitally. It's also similar to golf. With all of the new equipment and technology, I still play with a set of small forged irons. For guys who grew up playing with oversized perimiter weighted irons and hybrid clubs, they'll never appreciate the skill required or the tuning fork in your heart feeling of flushing a ball with a forged 2 iron. The fact that you can work the ball with it and control trajectory is a foreign concept. It's a part of the game of golf that is absent with ultra-forgiving technologically advanced equipment.

An appreciation for the old ways and the unique skills necessary to master their different nuances is something that seems to get lost in the name of progress and advancement. It's like the difference between sitting beside a real fire in the winter and reading a book versus an electric heater and cruising the net. There's something very real about it that just can't be replaced.

I have both but theres just something about the feel and the cocking of the hammer that says do ya feel lucky Punk !!
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The answer to whether to own a semi or revolver is easy: Get both!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too many of either one, semi-auto or revolver. There's just something about the simplicity of a swing out cylinder where you just drop the bullets in. Something about that cylinder revolving while you pull the trigger, lining up the next round for the strike, and not throwing the empty casings at you.

Got to love a revolver!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Nothing has changed over time. The 1911 is still going strong, almost 100 years old, and the revolver is still as capable today as it ever was. Either one will serve as well as anything made today, and that in itself is kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB
    They are great for just about any task
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude
    It's like the difference between sitting beside a real fire in the winter and reading a book versus an electric heater and cruising the net. There's something very real about it that just can't be replaced.
    +1

I didn't shoot a handgun until the M9. When I asked an enthusiast on my team what I should buy for my first personal handgun, he said, "a smith and wesson revolver is like a swiss watch and is what I would have if I could only have one." I took his advice and have only used my hard earned dollars on revolvers. While my experience is not vast, I simply dig the wheel gun much more than any auto. No sore thumbs from loading mags all day. No brass to clean up all over. Me doing ALL the work. Shooting a DA snub well, will likely translate into shooting anything else well but not necessarily vice versa. I could go on and on.

I keep thinking about adding an auto but I can't do it yet. Someone on the forum said that a revolver will be around until it can't be around. With the nod of capacity for the size to an auto, until capacity/size is an absolute necessity, the revolver will be my choice all day long.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links