Badger boot grip for SP-101

This is a discussion on Badger boot grip for SP-101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going back and fourth on what type of grips to put on my SP-101. I originally thought I wanted to go crimson trace but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badger boot grip for SP-101

Badger boot grip for SP-101

I'm going back and fourth on what type of grips to put on my SP-101. I originally thought I wanted to go crimson trace but recently I have been eyeing the badger boot grips as they are SOOOOOOOOOO pretty. Hopefully someone that has them on their SP-101 can answer to questions for me.

1. Hows the recoil of full house .357 loads with wood grips?
    2. They look kind of wide. How do they conceal?

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Rollo - Pretty is as pretty does. Get the CT grips!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

They sure are pretty. Not as functional as the Rubber Hogue grips (or the original ones for that matter), but they do look good. You aren't going to want to fire as many 357 loads through it like you will with rubber grips.

They do conceal better though. They don't grab on your shirt like rubber will.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend you get the CT grips. It's better that the grip on your revolver has a laser that will definitely improve your accuracy, than installing a grip on it just cause it will look "sexy". Now, if this gun is not for concealed carry or has an established role in your self-defense plan and it is just a "safe" queen...then sure, get the "sexy" grips for that sassy girl.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I had them on mine. Recoil is definitely worse!! They conceal okay but are a bit thick. They favor larger hands/longer fingers. They were just a bit big for my smaller hands. They are really beautiful but the OEM grips are way better for shooting. Eagle grips are a bit smaller abd are nice but you really feel the recoil with wood. I'm not big on lasers but CT or the OEM grips are really the best. Hogue soft grips and Pachmyr are also great for recoil if the fit you but tend to fit larger hands better.

At the end of the day the OEM grips really are the best. I was disapponted when I took off my wood and returned to the OEM's

Gideon

I've stuck with the factory grip. I like it a lot and I'm able to be very accurate with it, so for me I don't see the need for a CT, hogue, pach, etc. I would like to find a nice set of wooden inserts for mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've stuck with the factory grip. I like it a lot and I'm able to be very accurate with it, so for me I don't see the need for a CT, hogue, pach, etc. I would like to find a nice set of wooden inserts for mine.
    I would have liked to try the OEM grips but I traded for my 101 and it came with hogues and the guy didn't have the originals.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

After actively training using point shooting and movement I have found a laser to be worthless. I found you focus more on the laser instead of the surroundings while moving getting kind of tunnel vision and worrying about where it is aiming instead of using natural point shooting methods. That is just my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    After actively training using point shooting and movement I have found a laser to be worthless. I found you focus more on the laser instead of the surroundings while moving getting kind of tunnel vision and worrying about where it is aiming instead of using natural point shooting methods. That is just my findings.
    I agree about the comment regarding the laser. I have had them (Badgers) on my SP101 from time to time. I didn't think that the recoil made much of a difference with these on it either.

Check out www.altamontco.com. I got a pair of rosewood inserts for the wife's SP101 for $14 plus shipping. Also got a set of "WOW" grips for the Mark III.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I agree about the comment regarding the laser. I have had them (Badgers) on my SP101 from time to time. I didn't think that the recoil made much of a difference with these on it either.

Are those as thick as they look?

Does anyone know if anyone makes a shorter boot style grip made out of rubber like the one for the LCR?

I've never seen Eagle grips first hand, but i think they are bit thinner.

I'll wander down to my bench and see if I can't take a few comparison pics.

I recommend the Trausch Grips for the SP101. They do a good job of soaking up that 357 Mag recoil too.
    Attached Images

The first pic is the Badger on the left, stock grip with wooden inserts on the right
    Pachmayr Compact on the left, stock on the right
    Pachmayr Compact/Badger
    Hogue/Badger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links