Kahr P380 Range Report

This is a discussion on Kahr P380 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a P380 last weekend at the local gunshow and took it out today for its initial break-in. I fired a total of ...

Thread: Kahr P380 Range Report

Thumbs up Kahr P380 Range Report

I picked up a P380 last weekend at the local gunshow and took it out today for its initial break-in.

I fired a total of 220 rounds: 50ea WWB; 50ea PMC; 100ea from GA Arms and 20 Gold Dot 90g JHP.

The only issues encountered was the slide locked to the rear about 10 times with rounds still in the mag and only with the GA Arms ammo. I simply hit the slide release and continued to fire. This started shortly after I began firing this ammo...approximately 110 rounds into the event. The first 100 rounds fired were the WWB/PMC in case anyone is curious with no issues.

The target was at 15 yards and once I got use to shooting this little gem it was fairly easy to maintain a decent grouping. The sights are very usuable on this little pistol.

All rounds were fired without any cleaning of the gun....it was straight out of the box. I will say it functioned much better through it's initial break-in than my PM-9. This is one sweet little pocket pistol. I picked it up for $546 which is much cheaper than most places sell it for. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a .380....price excluded of course.

2. Remove Ads

Good report, thanks for posting.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I have a Kahr P380 and love it. I prefer the trigger to the other pocket 380's and it's very accurate. Since the P380 is rated for +P ammunition, I would try some Buffalo Bore ammunition for carry. It's a handful and the specifications reach some .38 special loads.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.)
    380 Auto +P Ammo - 90 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1200fps M.E. 288 ft. lbs.)

Thanks for the info tokerblue. I plan on ordering some of that....can't find it locally.

The only store near me that had it was Cabelas.

Nice. Thanks for he report.

I wonder how this would compare to the NAA Guardian 380. The NAA doesn't lock back on the last round where I see this one does. I'm sure it would be a lot lighter since the NAA is all stainless steel. I have carried the NAA for several years now and really like it except for the weight. I watched a video today on the Sig 380 pistol and liked the way it looked.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
    I wonder how this would compare to the NAA Guardian 380. The NAA doesn't lock back on the last round where I see this one does. I'm sure it would be a lot lighter since the NAA is all stainless steel. I have carried the NAA for several years now and really like it except for the weight. I watched a video today on the Sig 380 pistol and liked the way it looked.
    - I used to own a NAA Guardian 380, so I have first hand experience with both. The Guardian is definitely heavier, being 18.72 ozs. unloaded vs. 11.3 oz. unloaded for the P380. The Guardian also has a much heavier trigger pull. I ended it selling it because I couldn't get JHP to feed reliably and it felt like a brick in my pocket. The P380 is also much thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
    I watched a video today on the Sig 380 pistol and liked the way it looked.
    - The Sig P238 is a very nice gun. The only reason I didn't buy it is because I'm not a fan of safeties in general and would not want one on a pocket pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too have the P380; mine has never had a failure of any kind. I think it really is the perfect dedicated pocket gun. I have night sights on mine and love how they're identical to the ones I have on my K9, P9, and MK9.

I really like it that the slide locks to the rear after the last round too. I had a P3AT and a Ruger LCP and neither of those did and that always bothered me for some reason. I guess I like my guns to be the same.

Glad it's working for you and that really was a very good price. I added a piece of a bicycle inner tube to mine becasue the checkering is a bit aggressive and I simply LOVE the grip on it!

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I too have the P380; mine has never had a failure of any kind. I think it really is the perfect dedicated pocket gun. I have night sights on mine and love how they're identical to the ones I have on my K9, P9, and MK9.

I really like it that the slide locks to the rear after the last round too. I had a P3AT and a Ruger LCP and neither of those did and that always bothered me for some reason. I guess I like my guns to be the same.

Glad it's working for you and that really was a very good price. I added a piece of a bicycle inner tube to mine becasue the checkering is a bit aggressive and I simply LOVE the grip on it!

Gideon
    The price the dealer was selling it for was the main reason I jumped at the chance pick one up. I had wanted one for a long time but couldn't bring myself to spend the money they were asking...especially for a .380. Plus...since I own a PM-9 and love it I knew this would be no different. He was at least $100 cheaper than anyone else at the show or in the local area....to include the base (retired military).

As for the issues of the slide locking to the rear with rounds still remaining.... I am pretty sure it was the ammo but prior to the last 100 rounds I fired I had already put that amount through the P380 and the same amount through my PM-9. After thinking about it I may have let my thumb ride up on the slide release those few times the issue occured. It had been a long time since I had fired that much in one setting so hand fatigue may have been a factor.

Links