I have narrowed it down for my first handgun. Input please!

This is a discussion on I have narrowed it down for my first handgun. Input please! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking on and off for about a year now for my first handgun. This will be an all-in-one concealed-carry, home defense, range gun, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have narrowed it down for my first handgun. Input please!

Thumbs up I have narrowed it down for my first handgun. Input please!

I've been looking on and off for about a year now for my first handgun. This will be an all-in-one concealed-carry, home defense, range gun, etc. I am set on a 9mm for several reasons, so I don't want this to turn into a caliper war. I will eventually move up to a .45, but I think the 9mm is a good start for my wife and I. Below are my choices after months of research:

-Sig P239
    -S&W M&Pc
    -SA XDMc
    -Glock 19

So I have read several threads about each of these, and of course all scream the same "Go shoot them before you buy one!", so I am going to do that soon. But what I'm looking for is any compare/contrast from people that have owned or shot at least more than one of these. Maybe some input that a beginner like me wouldn't see from just putting a few rounds through them: reliability, customer service, parts availability, customization, etc. The more info I arm myself with, the more confident I will be with my decision.

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas!

2. Remove Ads

I had an XD(not XDm) compact and liked it, but it was a little to chunky for my hands. I now own an M&Pc and LOVE IT! I would say the M&P has the beset ergonomics out of the 4 you have listed.

Good luck in your search!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

That's a good list. Get them all!

9mm is a good place to start. Ammo is way cheaper.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    The three polymer guns listed are probably, generally speaking, the easiest to manipulate and train with. The Sig is a great little gun but you will have to get used to the double action/single action trigger. I will say though that depending on the way you will carry the Sig would probably be the most forgiving as far as from a safety standpoint.

I have never owned the XD or M&P. Love the M&P triggers though. I do own and carry a Glock 19 and a Sig P6 and both are great guns. Get what you like and spend the rest on training and ammo.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    M&Pc
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by TangoUniform View Post
    I've been looking on and off for about a year now for my first handgun. This will be an all-in-one concealed-carry, home defense, range gun, etc. I am set on a 9mm for several reasons, so I don't want this to turn into a caliper war. I will eventually move up to a .45, but I think the 9mm is a good start for my wife and I. Below are my choices after months of research:

-Sig P239
    -S&W M&Pc
    -SA XDMc
    -Glock 19

So I have read several threads about each of these, and of course all scream the same "Go shoot them before you buy one!", so I am going to do that soon. But what I'm looking for is any compare/contrast from people that have owned or shot at least more than one of these. Maybe some input that a beginner like me wouldn't see from just putting a few rounds through them: reliability, customer service, parts availability, customization, etc. The more info I arm myself with, the more confident I will be with my decision.

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas!
    Buy what feels best in your hand....that said, the same applies to your wife--what works for you might not work for her, so you might have to buy two off of your list (all good guns, BTW)

Also, if you have the Glock on your list, also check out the SIG P228 or P229
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I carry a Glock 19 50% of the time. You really can't go wrong. However I've shot the M&P9's and they are superb. I will be picking one up soon for my girlfriend who loves 'em.

Also, you mention your wife will also be using this gun? I'd say M&P. Females seem to love the grips and they also come with various different backstraps to customize the grip.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    For your first gun, I would suggest you buy the Glock 19. It is the best 9mm handgun on the market for concealed carry, it is extremely reliable, it holds 15 rounds of 9mm, the trigger is very nice to shoot and for your first weapon is perfect. You will easily find lots of accessories, holsters, high cap magazines and spare parts for Glock and the aftermarket demand is very high.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    I have not owned or shot more than one of them because the M&Pc just felt so right in my hand, bringing it up to aim and I liked the trigger pull right out of the box, or display case as it were.
    So I won't be able to give my opinion ;^)

I don't think you can go wring with the Glock 19. But a nice list overall.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm partial to hammers, so the Sig gets my vote. They are all quality guns that will serve well though.

Easy answer. After checking out the M&P line at the LGS the other day, my choice would be the S&W M&Pc 9mm. IMO, it's a awesome pistol and JMO, but a step up from the Glock lineup.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Below are my choices after months of research:

-Sig P239
    -S&W M&Pc
    -SA XDMc
    -Glock 19
    First off, let me congratulate you on doing some preliminary research. The wrong way to buy a gun is to go into a gun shop and ask for a recommendation. The right way is to do some due diligence and figure out what kind of gun will meet your needs, and what sort of guns in that area have good track records for reliability and performance.

So. You've done that. Great.

You're only part way through the process. Now, you have to go to some gun shops and handle these weapons and see how they feel. Last time I was shopping for a snubbie, for instance, I had it narrowed down to the S&W 638 and the Ruger SP101. Went to a place where I could handle and manipulate both, and that made the decision clear.

You need to do the same thing. Maybe you like what you've read about the Glock 19. So rent one and get a box of 50 rounds and put them through it. If you're like me, you'll hand it back and keep shopping (sorry, Glock guys). Of the guns you've listed, only the M&Pc would make my cut for ergonomics - and that's just a matter of what fits your hand. Add the Ruger SR9c to your list - it didn't make "gun of the year" for nothing.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

My GLOCK 19 is my all-in-one gun also, same uses as yours except I compete with mine also. I've not shot any of the others so I am biased. If the GLOCK fits your hand it is the best 9mm pistol available. Interesting thing to to consider: The 19 fits my hand great, but not so much for my wife. She tried out XD's, M&P's, Ruger SR9, and GLOCKs and settled on the 26 with +0 pinky extensions on the magazines. Another great little gun, and fits my hand pretty good also. 11 rounds but will accept and function perfectly with higher capacity GLOCK magazines up to 33 rounds.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    That's a good list. Get them all!

9mm is a good place to start. Ammo is way cheaper.
    +1 to both comments... LOL
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links