Smallest 45ACP available

This is a discussion on Smallest 45ACP available within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn I'm not sure that any .45s qualify as "deep cover" guns. I guess it would depend on what you consider deep ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Smallest 45ACP available

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm not sure that any .45s qualify as "deep cover" guns.
    I guess it would depend on what you consider deep cover, the Liberators and Simmerlings were, by the folks that used/use them.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I hide my Springfield Armory GI.45 Micro almost as easily as I hide my Kahr PM9 -- either one is completely concealed, though of course the .45 is a bit wider and longer. But they both carry concealed very well.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

The Kahr PM 45 is probably the most practical small 45acp that you can find. I have a Kahr CW 45 that has become my primary carry, but one of the gentlemen that I work with has a PM 45 that he has allowed me to carry on occasion and I find it to be a wonderful carry.

VIP Member
    Another option would be a Bersa Thunder 45. It's basically the same size as the Bersa .380. I looked at one the other day and it had a nice heft to it, but was very compact. It was definitely felt smaller than the G36 and at a lower cost.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

+1 on the Detonics, that's what prompted me to get my Colt Officers model. Not necessarily what I would call a "deep concealment" gun, but pretty darn easy to conceal as are all the single action 1911's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

now to make up my mind which one to get...........

The Springfield Micro Compact looks nice except for the price tag. It is almost identical in size to the Kahr PM45 and will also hold one more round. I like the Para USA Warthog for the fact it holds 11 rounds but it's just a bit bigger than both of those. The Taurus PT 745 PRO falls in there pretty close and has the best price tag. The Kahr and the Taurus are double action where as the Springfield and Warthog are single action. I have never carried a single action for ccw before.

Which ever one I get I will carry it IWB most of the time and when traveling I will also take along an ankle rig just in case I need to move it for comfort. I travel a lot of a motorcycle and usually take along a couple of different holsters so I can switch up on how I carry.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
    I like the Para USA Warthog for the fact it holds 11 rounds but it's just a bit bigger than both of those.
    While I mentioned I have the Colt Officers model, I also have a Para P-12 which is essentially a 12 round Officers model. It is markedly heavier than the Officers model and a bit harder to conceal because of the thickness of the grip. It is however, still relatively easy to conceal.

Also both my Colt and Para are steel frame and not alloy, so that adds a couple ounces as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by supv26 View Post

It is almost identical in size to the Kahr PM45 and will also hold one more round.

That depends on your definition of "almost." The Springer is almost an inch taller.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

What you really want is an AMT Backup in 10mm
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

AMT 45 Backup next to XD 45 Compact (4")

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46832252@N04/5278724627/

los
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Simmerling LM4.
    On the Nosey..!

Believe it or not, the LM-4 is just a tad larger than a baby browning 25acp.

Here's a couple of pages from an Article that demonstrates how much smaller the LM-4 is when compared to a Star PD, a Detonics Combat Master, a Colt Detective Special and a Gov. Model 1911...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by los; December 21st, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

jyo
    At this time I own a Kahr P45 which is pretty damn small, but they make a Kahr PM45 which is a bit smaller---I like my P45---small, lightweight, slim, very good DAO trigger and shoots right to point of aim with 230 grain bullets (have not tried any of the lighter 185 JHPs)---be warned, these little buggers have some kick!

I have a friend that just purchased a PM45 from my store and his wife loves shooting it as well. She did tell me that it is a handfull when shooting it but was very surprised on how well it performed for her.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The AMT Backup is close to being the size of the Simmerling's 5.2" x 3.7" x .85".
    I carry the AMT. Bought it brand new many years ago. It's small and heavy, but disappears in pocket of cargo pants.

My AMT .45 Backup malfunctioned continually (and I did not carry it much), until I did a careful "fluff and buff". After that, it has performed flawlessly, so long as I use FMJ ammo. The slide and trigger are smooth as glass. If I use JHP, then I will get a FTF here and there. Needless to say, I now only use FMJ in this diminutive pistol.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    If you like the springfield, keep looking. I paid 659.00 for mine, at a place where most people say their prices are usually high.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links