XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions

This is a discussion on XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I should point out that the grip safety isn't like the grip safety on the 1911s. You don't need to squeeze the grip ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions

I think I should point out that the grip safety isn't like the grip safety on the 1911s. You don't need to squeeze the grip with any force, as long as it's in your hand, you engage the safety lever. The spring in it is really just enough to pop the lever up if there's nothing on it, much like the trigger safety.

I like the grip safety on mine. I also like the trigger on it, it's nice and crisp, with a clear reset. Note that I have the XD-40 (subcompact and service), NOT the XDm, I don't know what all they changed there.

I also have a smartcarry that I use with my subcompact for trips to the gym. I've never had any trouble concealing my Service model with my normal attire of tshirt (or shorts) and jeans, though I usually wear a polo or unbuttoned shirt, just to dress up a bit, with my M-Tac. I think the MTAC and the Crossbreed are almost identical, but my only experience is with the MTAC.

2. Remove Ads

Well I have two issues here. I have one guy telling me that the XDM is simply designed better, with a more efficient strike pin. But then I have responses like below saying that you have to undo the grip safety to chamber. The teacher I went to hates the XDM. So I can't decide? I don't know where you guys go but I don't think I can rent a XDM. Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    you have to undo the grip safety to chamber.
    I don't have a problem with this. Even doing one-hand drills it's easy to engage that safety.

VIP Member
    Here's my take on things. Every 1911 has a grip safety and it's the most prolific handgun in the world. You really can't fault a grip safety, it should be a non-issue. I have both Glocks and XD's. I prefer the XD45's grip over that of the Glock .45. I prefer the Glock 19 & 26 9mm's over the XD9. I prefer the XD40SC over the Glock 27, again for the grip. Both are excellent handguns and any would be great choices for carry. Full size handguns can be carried, but in the long term it may become cumbersome. The compacts and subcompacts are excellent carry guns and a little easier on the back.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Just hold a Glock and an XD and pick the one that feels right in your hand. That's my opinion. The grip safety has never been a problem for me.
    I carry an XD9 subcompact. I'm a tiny woman but it CAN be concealed ;)

I originally thought I would go IWB, but after trying it I have pretty much switched to OWB for every day carry. You'll accumulate a "box o holsters" so just try a few. A good holster and a good gun belt will make a big difference no matter how you decide to carry.
    That's pretty much it. I carry an XD-SC9 iwb and owb, depends upon what I'm wearing. The XD has an under-carriage that adds strength the Glock doesn't have, but I haven't seen a case where that was an issue. I can tell you, we threw every piece of junk ammo we could think of or find, and the XD just kept shooting with no issues at all with any of them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

ntg
    First, Martino, welcome. Everyone pretty much covered it above. I'd add a thing or two. I don't like the feel of the G19 as I do my XD. I like the sights being lined up when I bring the gun up to my line of sight. That happens with the XD and not the Glocks for me. YMMV. Both are excellent, well made weapons.

Also, FWIW, should you purchase an XD you can call and tell them you're a lefty and they'll send you the lefty holster, IIRC. I read that some where. I'm not a lefty, but am fairly sure I read that some where. The holsters they send with the gun are not real good CC holsters. I carry my XDSC in a IWB (crossbred) holster most of the time, although I do have a holster I use for quick trips that I carry in the appendix position.

Good luck on your search and try to shoot as many as you can before buying.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Well weve got to play this just one more time....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Thanks everyone. Next, suggest me a good bedroom quick access safe (currently 1 year old and 9 year old in home) and a good car safe. Thanks

I use a GunVault at home to keep the handguns away from my kids...the one with the 4 buttons on top. I do not trust the ones with the fingerprint reader (what if your finger is wet, bloody, etc).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Haven't held an EDM, but did concealed carry the full size XD45 for a while. No problems if you dress right.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Glock or XD, how the hell can you carry either gun concealed? they are pretty big. On top of that I really don't know if I will carry inside or outside the waistband. What are the differences and advantages?

Hope you understand that there is a huge learning curve for the complete newbie like myself and lots of options (too many.) Thanks

Have you actually examined either guns in a gun store and held them? That would be one of the first steps to do.

Have you researched each product line very much? Both guns are available in a number of different sizes, with the smaller ones being easier to conceal.

You should visit each company's website, and compare the specs of the different models that are available.

Full size models like the XDm are going to be more of a challenge to carry concealed compared to compact and subcompact models of each gun.

If you get a Glock, make sure that you buy one of the new 4th Generation models, and not the older 3rd Generation.

Yeah I held the sub compact XD and didn't like it. I need more mass in my hand. I'll have to learn to conceal a full size. I don't mind the weight at all. Just need to learn to conceal.
    I think it will be the XDM 9 and I'll have to find a lefty holster. SA does not have lefty for XDM ***?

You don't want to carry with the included holster anyway. . . it's just so you have something to hold the gun until the holster you order gets there :)

Try the Service Model XD before you buy an XDm. XDs are cheaper, and if the mass is your only problem you don't want to buy until you've tried both.

Any of the above would do you well. I have XD-40s in both Service and Subcompact, and plan on getting the Tactical (5") model to complete the set, since they all use the same mags.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If you get a Glock, make sure that you buy one of the new 4th Generation models, and not the older 3rd Generation.

Please elaborate on this?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Hi,

To update here I bought a XDM full size 9 mm. I wanted it so bad. Some questions, I would like to get a conceal carry jacket. Many, many options, any that you recommend? also need a IWB lefty for my Ruger SP 101 2.25 any recommends? also where is a good place to buy white box ammo and targets? that should be all I need. (besides lots and lots of practice) thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links