XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions

This is a discussion on XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new to all of this recently passed carry test and going to submit carry permit. Can't decide on some things. The Springfield XD-9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions

XD-9 and Other Newbie Questions

Hi,

I'm new to all of this recently passed carry test and going to submit carry permit. Can't decide on some things. The Springfield XD-9 vs Glock some say that the grip safety is a potential problem, that it has to be held just right but that the XD is a better gun than a Glock. Not looking to start a war over this topic just field some opinions.

Glock or XD, how the hell can you carry either gun concealed? they are pretty big. On top of that I really don't know if I will carry inside or outside the waistband. What are the differences and advantages?

Hope you understand that there is a huge learning curve for the complete newbie like myself and lots of options (too many.) Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Just hold a Glock and an XD and pick the one that feels right in your hand. That's my opinion. The grip safety has never been a problem for me.
    I carry an XD9 subcompact. I'm a tiny woman but it CAN be concealed ;)

I originally thought I would go IWB, but after trying it I have pretty much switched to OWB for every day carry. You'll accumulate a "box o holsters" so just try a few. A good holster and a good gun belt will make a big difference no matter how you decide to carry.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tala pretty much said it. I have a Glock 26 and XD9sc. They are both pretty close to the same size (almost exact). Try them out like she said and see which one speaks to you. Personally I like the XD9sc grip better then the G26. The 26 has that little bump/hump and no place for the pinky unless you put an extension on it. The XD9sc, I'm able to get my pinky on the grip along with the other digits. Just more comfortable. The triggers feel different, and the grip safety doesn't make any difference. If you have ahold of the gun like you normally would hold "any" gun, you will depress the grip safety. Think about it, all 1911's have a grip safety. Ever heard of issues with that? I havn't.

Good luck with your choice, just pick what feels right for you.

Edit: Oh, I also carry OWB exclusively. Just wear baggy shirts to cover.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Thanks so a XDM full size can be concealed? also Springfield doesn't make lefty holsters for the XDM I found out. Would a Glock type holster work?

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Thanks so a XDM full size can be concealed? also Springfield doesn't make lefty holsters for the XDM I found out. Would a Glock type holster work?
    I wouldn't worry about factory type holsters. You're going to want something much better for carrying. Depending on what you want Raven Concealment is a great company for kydex.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Well the wife of my CC permit instructor carried a full size XDM and she was using the plastic Springfield holster with it, so it can be done. Personally I couldn't stand that thing, never even considered using it for carrying. I have holsters from Crossbreed and High Noon, both sponsors on this page with ads at the top and they can make left handed models. My gun belt is also from Crossbreed and I love it! They have treated me extremely well, great customer service with those guys!

Holsters are custom made to the gun. Spring the bucks and get one made for YOUR gun coz that's what holds it in place (aka retention). You won't be sorry for money spent on a quality holster or belt!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I have a Springfield XD-40 and love it, but I hear you can't go wrong with the Glock either. Put me in the 'grab one and see what feels better' camp, but there is no reason to worry about the grip safety. Actually, I really like it. Both guns have trigger safeties that are excellent according to all the reviews, and my experience with the XD.

I have no trouble concealing my Service (full size, 4" barrel) Model XD.

My IWB: M-Tac IWB holster
    My OWB: Paddle Holster

I actually got that paddle holster as part of this kit, handy if you don't already have a gun belt or mag pouches?
    Competition Kit

My next purchase: Serpa CQC

All will work with XD and Glock. Your holster selection is a bit better with Glock pistols since so many law enforcement agencies use them.
    Last edited by livewire; December 20th, 2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added info, cleaned up links

Hi,

I'm new to all of this recently passed carry test and going to submit carry permit. Can't decide on some things. The Springfield XD-9 vs Glock some say that the grip safety is a potential problem, that it has to be held just right but that the XD is a better gun than a Glock. Not looking to start a war over this topic just field some opinions.

Glock or XD, how the hell can you carry either gun concealed? they are pretty big. On top of that I really don't know if I will carry inside or outside the waistband. What are the differences and advantages?

Hope you understand that there is a huge learning curve for the complete newbie like myself and lots of options (too many.) Thanks
    Hey there and welcome!

I'm not new to pistols but am a newbie to every day carry.

I carry a Glock 19, IWB and to me it is a fine pistol. The XD's are a strong comparison. Overall you will need to compare them for yourself based on feel and natural proficiency at your local shooting range.

With a proper holster and belt set-up you should be able to conceal either of these guns simply with some careful clothing selection.

IWB you may find to be less comfortable but will generally pull the weapon closer to your body, concealing it easier. OWB you may find to be more comfortable but may generally be slightly more difficult to conceal as it is riding further from your body. Some feel that you get a more reliable draw stroke with an OWB system. Some feel it makes no difference.

There are lots of options for sure.. Don't let yourself get too overwhelmed. For some, like myself, learning to carry a gun everyday is like solving a puzzle. You do it one piece at a time. In no time you'll start to see it all come together.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Welcome. Both guns are good guns. The XD fits my hand better. If I was going to look for a 9 I would look at the XD sub compact. If Glock fits your hand better, then a Glock 26 would be the gun. (Again my preference) As to holsters, the above postings are correct. There are many good holsters out there including many made for you other righties!!!! (My son is) You will probably spend more time and a whole lot of money on holsters like the rest of us. The Crossbreed is a mighty popular holster for IWB and that would be a good place to start.

Good luck!!!!

It does have a lot to do with which gun you prefer. Shoot both, or more, and see which one you feel most comfortable. I carry a Glock 23 (compact .40) IWB every day and it conceals very well. A lot depends on your build too, as different body types will conceal differently. I prefer the Glock b/c of it's reputation, simplicity, and for the fact that the gun fit me well.

I originally went to the gun store to purchase a Glock 23, but after meeting both of them bought the SA XD40 SC. I love this gun, is a tack driver and never a problem. If you hold it so it does not fall out of your hand, you will have no problem with the grip safety!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Personally, I like my weapons to be as simple as possible. I do not like thumb safeties, nor do I like grip safeties. Just one more thing to fail.

In certain situations, the grip safety can indeed prevent the pistol from firing when you really, really want it to. There was a post on this forum a while back from someone who used a XD in competition - he didn't get a really good grip, and lost precious time trying to figure out why the pistol would not fire. In this case, it merely cost him time, and the match. In real life, the cost could have been worse. Also, you cannot rack the slide on an XD without depressing the grip safety - try doing a one-handed reload, or a one-handed clearance drill, and see if that doesn't matter.

Of course, the XD fans will counter with stories about folks who have shot themselves in the butt while trying to holster their Glocks without looking to see that the holster was clear of things like their shirt tails. To me, that is a training failure, not a failure in the gun's design. I don't agree with "no look" holstering - if there is still a potential threat, I'm keeping the gun in my hand.

If the Glock's grip is an issue for you, get a Gen 4 with the interchangeable back straps. Or, have the plastic grip on a Gen 3 shaped by a gun smith.

Holster selection will be driven by your mode of dress, and how "concealed" you need to be. I need to be very discreet, and have found that the only thing that really works (for me) is the Smartcarry holster (with a Glock 26 sub-compact 9mm) and a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster as a secondary gun.

For reference, I have experience with the XD in 9mm, .40 and .45. I have experience with Glocks in the same calibers, so I can give you a fair comparison. I much prefer the Glock trigger - better feel, and a much better reset (the XD trigger feels like mush to me). Also, the Glock magazines are steel-reinforced polymer, while the XD mags are steel. Mags are a major source of failure with pistols - they tend to get dropped and dented. The Glock design is superior, because the polymer cushions the steel, while the steel reinforces the polymer.

Take your time, do some research, get some training, and best of luck!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; December 20th, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Welcome Martino. I carry an XDm 40 daily in a CB Supertuck. Both gun and holster conceal very well, and comfortable. I do believe you can find one in southpaw fashion; try one for comfort and use. The other holsters mentioned herein are very good as well, but the final choice is ultimately how the rig fits you and your comfort. As Tala said, you will eventually end up with a large assortment of holsters until you find that "right" one. Good luck!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Both go BANG reliably. I love my XD9sc and it conceals wonderfully. I have never had a problem with the grip safety.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

My first pistol was an XD9 serice model. Good gun. I had no issues with it besides the fact that I wanted something easier to conceal. I traded it in on a new G26 and have not looked back. I never shot the G26 before I bought the XD because I let others infuence me by telling me the grip was too short. After handling and shooting one I realized that was not an issue for ME. Some do not like the grip on Glocks because of angle, lenth, the bump. But it may fit YOU perfect. Try shooting as many guns as possible before making up your mind. All this advice, including mine, means nothing to what gun will be right for you. You have to find the one that suits you best.

Those who have said that you will have a drawer full of holsters are right. What works for one may not work for another. I just started wearing my new Nick Matthews #1 IWB on Saturday. My first leather holster. I had been wearing a kydex single clip holster made by a guy on the GlockTalk forum. The NM is a very well made holster and pretty darn comfortable to boot. I wear pants that are just a bit large in the waist but most of my shirts are not oversized and my G26 disappears. I will be doing a review with pics later this week.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links