I finally bought one

I finally bought one

This is a discussion on I finally bought one within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last few months I've been paying attention and I've tried to be honest with myself. I have a PPK, G36, and a Taurus 709 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally bought one

I finally bought one

The last few months I've been paying attention and I've tried to be honest with myself. I have a PPK, G36, and a Taurus 709 slim (mine works very well thank you), all these I shoot well. Better than my Glock 9mm's. I even shoot my LCP well. A few weeks ago I borrowed my fathers 1911 (springer) for a bit of a long term evaluation. I shoot it better than my high capacity Glocks as well. I even shoot a friends Star BM better. All these guns are single stack thin grip in nature. Today I was killing time waiting on some family when I stopped off at the LGS. Normal pleasantries were exchanged as I'd bought several pistols from them this year and they know me. I REALLY did intend only to browse and kill time. However they actually had a Springfield Loaded in stock and I made the decission to pick it up and fondle it. Owner "How many guns have you bought from me this year?" After giving it some thought I told him seven. (maybe I have a problem) He asked me how I liked the Loaded and I admitted I liked it. He walked away and let me continue to look at it. He came back a few minutes later and said that it was the Christmas season and all and I was a good customer he'd give me the Loaded (NIB) and two Wilson 8 shot mags walking out the door for $795.xx. I think I may have hurt myself getting my debit card out of my wallet that fast. I can't wait to shoot it but it may even be after Christmas before I can get to the range. For now I just pick it up and look at it now and then.

Anyway do you guys think I did OK?

Edit: No pic's camera is dead, hopefully tomorrow or the next day.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Congratulations. I have been looking at 1911s for a long time myself, especially Springfield Armory. I like the Operator, which is in the Loaded series, but they are the next step up. They are expensive (~$1200), so that's why I haven't bought one yet. I don't think there is that much difference between them to be honest, but if I am going to get a 1911, I want a full size, steel frame, with a rail. Springfield Armory Operator has all those, but at a cost, and it also only comes in armory cote green, which would not be my first choice.
    Let me know how you make out since I am interested in this myself since I cannot justifying spending $1200 on a gun at this point...

I say it a lot, but I really think Springfield Loadeds are the best production 1911 deal out there. I personally hate the FLGR, and replace it so its the way JMB designed it.

And it sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal on yours, congrats, enjoy it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Send to me and I'll take some photos of it for you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Lead Moderator
    Congrats! I love shooting my SA Champion LW.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

7 pistols make that 8 in a year ? and I thought I had issues Congrats on the latest and greatest My CDP Compact has me wanting a fullsize 1911 but it's down the list a bit.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

I am saving like nobody's business for a Springfield EMP, and yes I think you did OK! But I still like my Glocks too!
    God bless our troops!

My apologies....thought this might have been a Glock thread. LOL!
    If you've got something....then you're in the game. Simple as that, and I wish you the best with what you've got!

No disrespect meant to the person starting this thread (I'm really happy you found a gun you like, power to you), but would it have been that much trouble to title this thread: "I finally bought a 1911"? Then I could have skipped it.

"I finally bought" what? A flashlight? A katana? A howitzer? A Derringer?

You have to click on this damned thing just to discover that the author bought something you have zero interest in.

People, please - put a little thought into your thread titles - the nice people title theirs in such a way as to not waste your time.

Thank you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    To the OP, Congrats on a fine 1911 and a great price... Don't give a second thought to the previous post, it sounds like someones up past their bedtime... Your thread is fine...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Congrats on the Springfield and welcome to the 1911 club. I do understand very well what you mean when you say “… I just pick it up and look at it now and then” . I am sure you will enjoy your new toy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    No disrespect meant to the person starting this thread (I'm really happy you found a gun you like, power to you), but would it have been that much trouble to title this thread: "I finally bought a 1911"? Then I could have skipped it.

"I finally bought" what? A flashlight? A katana? A howitzer? A Derringer?

You have to click on this damned thing just to discover that the author bought something you have zero interest in.

People, please - put a little thought into your thread titles - the nice people title theirs in such a way as to not waste your time.

Thank you.

Really?

Its a gun forum man - if you don't want to "waste your time" consider getting off your computer.

I'm with TX-JB, this post title is fine.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Price is reasonable since he threw in the two mags. I agree they're one of the best all round values for a production 1911.

Enjoy
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    OP: Sounds like you got a pretty nice deal, not to mention, getting something that makes you happy. Let us know how it works out for you!

My name is Fred and I'm a gunaholic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links