I may regret this purchase

This is a discussion on I may regret this purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the itch to get myself a LW snubby. I have a Taurus Mod 85 and liked it but want to go a little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may regret this purchase

I got the itch to get myself a LW snubby. I have a Taurus Mod 85 and liked it but want to go a little lighter so I bidded on one and won the auction for a LW model 85. After looking at the Pic's a little closer I noticed there was no hammer? So I asked the seller if it's bobbed or a double action only. He informed me it was a double action only. Now I got a bad feeling than I'm not going to be happy with this purchase? If I ever have to use my snub .38 in a self defense situation it will most likely be fired in double action. But I really like the opting of shooting it in singe action. I really wish I would have noticed this before I bidded.

I guess I'll have to take it out to the range and see how it performs for me. Maybe I'll like it? But all of a sudden I'm not so excited about this purchase

I know alot of you guys own double action only snubbys. So maybe you can say something that will cheer me up about this.

Cheer up!

A little practice and you will hardly know the difference.

I've learned to stage the trigger on my S&W 442 to simulate a single action shot. But I never really do it. Seems like the only thing that accomplished was more trigger practice - I'm just as effective DA as a result.

I NEVER thought I would have the faith and comfort in this pistol that I have now. I only bought it to fill a temporary gap in my rotation. It's easily worked it's way to the top since then.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

You might be surprised when you go to the range. I shoot just as well with my SP101 in double action as I do single action. The wifes 642 is hammerless and shoots well also.

Just keep in mind that this is a self defense handgun and not a long range hunting gun. Don't start off trying to shoot at 20 yards, keep your target pretty close, get to know the gun then go from there.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

jyo
    Nothing to regret---practice with it and its all good---remember, this is a very close-range defense gun, not a target pistol!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    I So maybe you can say something that will cheer me up about this.

The good news here is that the next time you go to buy a gun online, you will be more careful in determining exactly what it is that you are purchasing.

As for the gun, perhaps it will grow on you.

Awesome gun... you wont have to worry about it snagging on clothing in your pocket, or jacket from now on. Great purchase in my opinion. Bunker

When I had a Colt Agent I had the trigger bobbed. I didn't miss shooting it SA at all. It wasn't a plinker or a hunter, so I didn't think twice.
    Nice looking snubbie.

I have 2 Taurus 85s with the concealed hammer, one steel, one alloy & Ti. I like them both. The triggers on both are great, and the DAO function is hot a problem. You'll like the gun.

VIP Member
    I have a S&W 642 and an older K frame with a hammer. While the K frame is fun to shoot single action, you accurately point out that in a SD situation, you will not be using SA mode. I have found that the DAO action forces you to practice with the set-up you may have to carry into an SD event. This results in confidence in my ability to perform with an SAO action. Give it some range time and I think you will be pleased with your new carry piece.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I knew you would cheer me up. I like like any gun that shoots. When I get this pistol I look forward to taking it to the range. My targets will deffinatly be within 7yds. Hopefully I'll shoot it halfway decent and become proficient with it over time. It may even make me a better shooter in the long run.

Lead Moderator
    DAO isn't bad at all . You can get used to it and shoot well with a little practice .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Cool

Best of both worlds........

P19170917.jpg

You will be fine with your purchase.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    When I had a Colt Agent I had the trigger bobbed. I didn't miss shooting it SA at all. It wasn't a plinker or a hunter, so I didn't think twice.
    Nice looking snubbie.
    I have never seen a bobbed trigger.....seems this would make double action tougher to master.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Hate to sound like a broken record but you just accidently bought the best choice for a true SD gun. If need be, add a lighter spring to make that DAO a bit easier. It costs less than $10 to buy the springs off the internet and it's a 5 minute job to change the mainspring out and anyone can do it. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

I too can "stage" my DAO 640 and 642 triggers at the range when I want to but I've pretty much stopped that and shoot those guns DAO, 100% of the time.

If you have that hammer you'll use it more than you might think.

Enjoy the gun and don't fret :)

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I have never seen a bobbed trigger.....seems this would make double action tougher to master.
    oops, lol
    Hammer... Hammer... A bobbed trigger would make any kind of shooting hard to master

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links