SP101 Trijicon or Meprolight?

This is a discussion on SP101 Trijicon or Meprolight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in serious need of a front night sight for my SP101. It's hard to pick up that black front sight even in the day ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP101 Trijicon or Meprolight?

SP101 Trijicon or Meprolight?

I'm in serious need of a front night sight for my SP101. It's hard to pick up that black front sight even in the day let alone in low light. What do you guys suggest trijicon or meprolight? I'm leaning towards meprolight from what I've read since for one the trijicon will not glow in zero light. I've had trijicon on a glock and it worked well but from what I'm reading for the SP101 the meporolight is the way to go, just want to hear from you folks on what you have on your Ruger or what you suggest. Pros, cons, etc... Thanks!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

I put Trijicon on both my Glocks, and then the Trijicon front sight on my Ruger SP101...they all work just fine in "0" light, just like they're supposed to...
    Why wouldn't Trij's glow in "0" light? That doesn't make much sense unless someone was complaining because they were passed the 10 year mark and starting to decline a bit.
    I have the Meps on my Kimbers, and I really do not see much difference between the two...it's just a matter of personal taste.
    I'm sure that responses will be divided on this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have Trijicons on my SP-101 and am very pleased.

P18174701.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yea I don't beleive reviews much that's why I wanted to know from people who have actual experience I didn't think no glow in Zero light made any sense either but that's what a couple things I read said.

Thanks guys, trijicon's are on eBay and I have $50 in my pay-pal account so I might just go that way.

Old school, were you able to install the sight yourself?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I have a friend who is a gunsmith and he did it for me however if you have a vice and a 1/16 " center punch you can do it yourself. Check out Optics Planet they offer free shipping an good prices.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have the Meprolight forn sight on my SP101. Easy to install if you have a drill press, a 1/16" punch, and 10 minutes. I'm quite pleased with it.

Thanks guys. I have a drill press at work and I will pick up a 1/16" punch and drill bit. The punch is just to take out the pin right? Could probably use a nail?

I'm guessing it's as simple as, pop out the old sight put in the new, mark it, drill it and put it back in?

XS Big Dot sights are the way to go IMHO.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rnpollard View Post
    that's what I'm holding out for

Quote Originally Posted by rnpollard View Post
    +1000000

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I'm in serious need of a front night sight for my SP101. It's hard to pick up that black front sight even in the day let alone in low light.
    Just remember, night sights won't help any in the day...thati s why I went with fiber optic....it won't help any at night but I sure do enjoy shooting it in daylight much more!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Just remember, night sights won't help any in the day...thati s why I went with fiber optic....it won't help any at night but I sure do enjoy shooting it in daylight much more!

I have eyes in their mid-sixties, and the Trijicon night sight is just fine during the day...very easy to see, at night...perfect.
    The fiber optic is great during the day, but at night it isn't worth a (insert your own colorful word here).

When point shooting (as you will do in a Wally World parking lot incident), the Trij gives a needed reference point both during the day and at night...think about it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    even though I have late 50's eyes..it's more like late 70's eyesight

ditto Retsupt!

surv

Trijicons on my Glock - Love 'em. Just as easy to see in any lighting as at night.

This idea that they couldn't be seen in 0 light is nonsense. If they work, they work.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I am very pleased with the Mepro I put on the front of my SP101. Just used a hand drill...a little from each side with blade in the hole. Easy and well worth it.

As retsup99 mentioned the tritium works great as a reference for point shooting. It also helps me see the revolver on my night stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links