Question for those with Simonich Gunner grips...

This is a discussion on Question for those with Simonich Gunner grips... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting some new straight cut grips for my Kimber TLE. I just added a magwell, plus I am not a fan ...

Thread: Question for those with Simonich Gunner grips...

Question for those with Simonich Gunner grips...

I am looking at getting some new straight cut grips for my Kimber TLE. I just added a magwell, plus I am not a fan of the factory grips. I have narrowed my choices down to either Simonich Gunner grips or some VZ grips. I have not had a chance to personally handle the Gunner grips, but I have heard that they are somewhat tacky. I am awaiting the arrival of my Milt Sparks rig and will be CCW this TLE daily. I usually conceal with just a T-shirt. My question is will this tackiness of the grips grab my shirt and make me print or reveal the weapon when I move? Does anyone know of stores that carry Gunner grips so I can handle them before I choose? Thanks!

P.S. Attached is a picture of the TLE with the new magwell. It is the part from Kimber (MSH with magwell). Fit and finish are perfect, and it dropped right in.

Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

I have had Gunner Grips on my weapon for about 18 monthes. I have not had any prblem with them grabbing my shirt and exposing my weapon. I do not think you will have an issue with them exposing your weapon. I certainly would not describe the texture as tacky. Abrasive would be a better word.

When wearing light gloves they provide excellent purchase on the weapon. Unfortunately, they are a bit rough on bare skin. When I first installed them, it took about a week's worth of dry-fire/live-fire to condition my hands so that they were not an issue. It is a non-issue for me now.

I have heard of some people lightly going over the edges with a file in an effort to make them less abrasive. That seems awfully time consuming to me. If I were going to do that, I would probably just buy a different type of grips.

FWIW, I appreciate the extra measure of control the abrasiveness of the grips provide and I would not consider using any other grips on my weapon.

Essex Gun

I built a match 1991 on an essex frame and slide which I added Simonich Grips. I love them. They are not tacky at all and I get many good comments from people who see the gun and ask what kind of grips they are. One additional thing I would recommend is that you buy a Gripmaster exercise thingy for improving your grip. Regardless of the tyoe grip you use, having a stronger hand grip works well.

The set of gunners i felt were pretty tacky but that was when they first come out

VIP Member
    Give the XT Ergo grips a try, the come in different colors as well....

here is one of my 1911s with them on it. I have these grips on 3 of my 1911s.....
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm
    Give the XT Ergo grips a try, the come in different colors as well....

here is one of my 1911s with them on it. I have these grips on 3 of my 1911s.....
    i have a set here I'm going to put on my combat commander when i pick it up this coming weekend

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I shot an IDPA match with a set of Gunner Grips I had just put on my BHP. Ended up with a bleeding hand. Mine have a surface that reminds me of a wood rasp. Definitely going to smooth them out just a bit.

Take a look at the VZ Operator Grips. These grips are awesome. I have two sets of them. Some other grips I used would chaffe on my skin after a while carrying IWB without a tee shirt or a wife beater on between the grip and my skin. The grip surface is pretty soft feeling for lack of a better word. But when you grip and apply a bit of pressure to the pistol these grips really grab on to my hands and hold tight, even on a hot day with sweaty hands. I can shoot all day and never get sore or bleeding hands from the grips.

I spoke to John VanZyck both times I ordered my Operator Grips. He was great about helping me decide on the grips and was willing to exchange grips if I had any problems and wanted to try another style. VZ also has a 14 day return policy. I am very happy with these Operator Grips and have not found any reason to try any others since I got my first set.

http://www.vzgrips.com/
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I have a set of the VZ grips, the Black Green Linen Micarta, on my parkerized Springfield 1911. Better looking and better feeling than the factory grips. I love 'em. Can't speak on the others, never tried them...

Thanks everyone for the info. Been doing some more research and I think I am leaning towards the grips Brian45 suggested (VZ Operator). When I get them I will post pics. Thanks!
    Hoss

+1 for VZ. I have John's Gator Back grips on 2 1911s and his 320 grips on my carry gun. I've really stopped considering any other grips, just really like the VZ.

Before I buy new grips (whichever ones I choose), do I need to get new grip screws? I seem to see a lot of people getting them. Are they needed or just new ones for looks?
    Hoss

When I got my first set of VZ Operator Grips and installed them on my Springfield the factory screws did stick out a bit more than I liked. I called John VanZyck to ask about this. He sent me a set of his Slex head screws for free and no shipping charges. The new screws had a little thinner head and worked great. The Operator Grips are a little bit thinner than any of my SA factory grips so this made the difference.

VZ Grips has great customer service.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Thanks for the info guys. Can someone PM or e-mail me John's e-mail address. I cannot log onto the site at work (web filter ). Thanks!
    Hoss

Links