5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p? - Page 2

5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p?

This is a discussion on 5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assuming all else is equal- you can shoot both I would go with .38 +P as it's plenty of fire power and one more round. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p?

Assuming all else is equal- you can shoot both I would go with .38 +P as it's plenty of fire power and one more round. Not really that big or a difference either way.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would definitely choose 5 shots of .357 Magnum.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I'd go with the thinner profile gun and the one that feels better in my hand, but that's just me. I'd be comfortable with either caliber.
    And I know a snubbie is in my near future...

I'd go with the thinner profile gun and the one that feels better in my hand, but that's just me. I'd be comfortable with either caliber.
    If there's a "right" answer to this question, the above is probably it. Because all things being equal, you'd want max firepower. But all things aren't equal. Usually, a .357 snubbie is heavier than a .38. And of the two guns, you'll probably be more accurate with one of them. Accuracy trumps firepower.

So carry the one you shoot best because 6 rounds of .38 special on-target is better than 5 .357 fliers.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Without a doubt, 5 shots of .357...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Honestly I can shoot both COM no problem. The .38 Colt I shoot better during the day but I cant see the silver sights at all during low light. The sp101 isn't much better but the front sight is a little easier to pick up in low light but not by much. I'm not really asking "what is better" or "what should I carry" more or less, regardless of firearm what would you prefer 5 shots of .357 or 6 of .38 +P assuming you can shoot both equally.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I would take the .357 x 5. I accept .357 x 6 vs 9mm x 16 when I carry a revolver.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have a Colt Agent that holds 6 rounds of 38Spl +P and is worn in an IWB nice soft leather holster when I dress up in my Tux for really nice Social Appearances. When not nicely dressed up it is one of my twin G-19's with Cor-Bon +P. I keep two 6 round reloads for the Agent, one in my left jacket pocket and the other in my right jacket pocket. Yes I had pockets put into the Jacket instead of fake Pockets sealed at the top pocket flaps. Functional always beats Fake!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Five shots of .357 in a Ruger SP101.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

.38 +p ammo has come a long way. I wouldn't fret about the difference between the two- hopefully if I need to defend my life or a loved one, I won't need 5 or 6 rounds.

The sp101 isn't always the easiest to conceal- so I think the real argument here simply revolves around concealability related to what you are wearing that day...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    having run the gammit from the 4" Security Six .357 mag down to the various J-frames over the years for every day "field gun", I finally found the magic for my hand size (longitudinally challenged fingers) in the 3" SP101 .357. The Security Six was a wonderfully built handgun (which I miss), but just didn't fit my paws, and the j-frames of various makers over the years really didn't fit either. The SP101 just happened to fit perfectly, and I don't care one bit about carrying the additional 10-15 ounces on my belt, or the fact that it's only 5 rounds (of a pretty darned impressive round). That tiny bit of weight is totally insignificant for those of us that work outdoors. At only 5'8" and 180+/- lbs, my body weight alone will vary 5-7 lbs during a hot summer work day, so what's another few ounces. As for concealement.... I live a pretty active lifestyle (at least I'm still vertical and on the green side of the grass) and have no problem covering the OWB SP101... but I do an outdoor type of job. I realize that there are just as many of us "outdoors type" that are confined to office type jobs, or other employement that requires more "business like" attire. My sympathy to you guys.

Remember, we don't all have the same type problems with concealment.

surv

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    well, i confess to carrying an old chiefs special stoked with (drum roll) plain old 38 specials- silvertips in fact.
    i have a couple of 357 revolvers, but they are a tad too large to conceal easily. the little chief is perfect- excellent
    trigger, 100 reliable, accurate, managable. tyler t grip makes it perfect for me.
    but as to your question- i think the 38s are plenty.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I have no problem with concealment not about that at all. I'm 5'4 140 lbs and can conceal an sp101 3" no problem. I hike, hunt, snowshoe, camp, etc... When I'm in the woods I carry a Glock 20 10mm, I grew up wandering the woods of Montana alone, animal threats have always been my main concern over people.

Concealment has never been a problem for me, I will always choose a full size over a compact when given the choice.

I have 13 pistols and they all have a purpose. my main carry weapons are a Colt DS, Ruger Sp101 .357, and a CZ P-07 .40

I mean.. I lost all my guns in a boating accident...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Given the choice by the OP I will take my SP-101 and 5 shots of .357. It hits harder.

Attachment 22485
    Me too.

I have one 6 shot .357
    one 5 shot .357
    and two 5 shot .38s

My SP101 .357 Mag gets the nod a lot, especially when only carrying one weapon.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links