5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p?

This is a discussion on 5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what you folks would prefer. 5 shots of .357 mag or 6 shots of .38 +P? Carrying only 1 gun what would you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p?

5 Shots of .357 or 6 shots .38+p?

Just curious what you folks would prefer. 5 shots of .357 mag or 6 shots of .38 +P? Carrying only 1 gun what would you pick and why?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    One of my EDC's is 5 shots of 38+P. What I would prefer is 8 shots of 357 like S&W scandium snubby but I hear it's a frame cracker so I'm going to wait until they improve it. Until then, whenever I feel under gunned, I go to my Glock 30SF, 10+1 .45 cal.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I prefer my Model 66 .... six shots of .357. Of course, it's a little hard to hide. :)
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Most of the .357's that hold 6 shots are larger and heavier. Therefore I would choose 5 shots of .38+P.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Cool

Given the choice by the OP I will take my SP-101 and 5 shots of .357. It hits harder.

P18174701.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yes I also have higher capacity carry guns but I'm curious about my original question. I'm always contemplating between carrying my 6 shot colt Detective special in .38 or a Ruger sp101 in .357 I carry both of them often but it just got me thinking what I would prefer. The colts a better shooter than the ruger but the ruger hits harder ya know...lol
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Whatever you shoot better, on the move. You could carry 20mm howitzers but it wont do you any good if you cant hit anything on the move, because in reality you arent standing still with your legs apart, shoulders square and two hands on the weapon getting a sight picture when you are being attacked, or you will be dead pretty quick.

I shoot both well, I've been carrying for over 10 years I wouldn't carry something I'm not 100% confident with. I will still continue to carry both I was just bored this morning and got thinking about 5 vs 6

Cool

Carry them both at the same time. The dick special crossdraw with the SP-101 strong side.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I have the option, just like you do and I typically carry the SP-101. I'll take 5 .357's everyday, over .38+P's. If you haven't finished the fight or gotten to cover by 5, the 6th won't do you any good, because your gonna be done, for good.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Just curious what you folks would prefer. 5 shots of .357 mag or 6 shots of .38 +P? Carrying only 1 gun what would you pick and why?
    The fact is that when I'm carrying my SP101 it's generally loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 grain LSWCHP 38spl+P. The option to stoke it with 357 Mag is there too. So there ya go.

Both would be nice but if I had to choose one I would go with the 357. Coonan makes a cool 357 semi-auto but it is expensive.

6 shots of 38 special... and can be found in the taurus line up in a J frame. Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post

I would choose the one that I could shoot the best with.........J.H. Shot placement..quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    6 shots of 38 special... and can be found in the taurus line up in a J frame. Bunker

Unfortunately I have had a bad experience with the two Taurus pistols I have owned AND there customer service..Never again, you get what you pay for. if it works for you awesome, but for me no thanks.

Taurus and Jimanez are two manufacturers that have screwed me hard, the Jimanez JA 9 getting the crown almost taking the right side of my face when it exploded using factory Winchester ammo.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links