Looking at buying a Sig P238 w/ Rosewood grips

This is a discussion on Looking at buying a Sig P238 w/ Rosewood grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friend from work's brother-in-law needs some Christmas money so he's selling his Sig P238 w/ rosewoood grips and the sig nite sights for $350. I'm ...

Thread: Looking at buying a Sig P238 w/ Rosewood grips

Looking at buying a Sig P238 w/ Rosewood grips

Friend from work's brother-in-law needs some Christmas money so he's selling his Sig P238 w/ rosewoood grips and the sig nite sights for $350.
    I'm 99.9% sure its a good deal, but would like to know if I've missed anything. It is for my bride, which I know she likes. We handled them at a gun club a month or 2 ago. If she turns out not to like I'm sure I can get what I paid for it on a resale.
    He's bringing it to work tomorrow, so unless its been run over by a truck (several times) I'll be making the purchase.

I'm pretty excited!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Friend from work's brother-in-law needs some Christmas money so he's selling his Sig P238 w/ rosewoood grips and the sig nite sights for $350.
    I'm 99.9% sure its a good deal, but would like to know if I've missed anything. It is for my bride, which I know she likes. We handled them at a gun club a month or 2 ago. If she turns out not to like I'm sure I can get what I paid for it on a resale.
    He's bringing it to work tomorrow, so unless its been run over by a truck (several times) I'll be making the purchase.

I'm pretty excited!!
    Check the birth date on the box. You are good to go with one born after 5-10. Check and see which version mag it has. Good luck, I like mine just fine.

I don't know what it is about 'em but I can't take my eyes of that thing every time I check in at the range.. It's bizarre - I am NOT a Sig fan, or a .380 fan but something about that p238 pleases me to no end. I've handled it but haven't shot it. I'm gonna have to rent one I think..

Please let us know how it goes if you pick it up tomorrow!
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

VIP Member
    Excellent deal, sweetest shooting .380 I have ever tried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It is all about when it was made and if it was shipped after the magazine followers were changed. If you know the guy, then ask if you can go to a range and shoot around 50 rounds through it. Some of the early model ones had some weak parts and feed problems. Most of the problems could be fixed by sending the old style mags back to Sig. If you shoot it and it goes bang and cycles everytime, then I would buy for that price.

I guess I've been lucky. Mine has been flawless and it is older (9/09) and has the rounded followers in the magazines. I even bought two more magazines from Top Gun Supply and they are identical. I guess the newest magazines have a dimple or spot weld in the follower. Mine do not.
    So far, it has never failed to fire. I even tried to fool it by loading one in the chamber and topping off the magazine. Worked fine.
    It has a soft recoil, and an easy slide to rack. I always say it's the perfect gun for a lady.
    If I were to change anything, I'd make it S/A, D/A instead of S/A only. For a pocket gun, I don't know how I'd feel about "cocked and locked" even though the safety is VERY positive.
    I bought a DeSantis Nemesis for a pocket holster, but it doesn't cover the safety so I don't recommend it.
    Mine is like yours. Black nitron, rosewood, night sights. What's not to like?

If it were me, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a twinkie.

I have a P238 (blackwood edition) that I bought 11/2009. I have over 550 rounds through it without problem. One small hiccup on magazine #2 ever ran through (some failure to feed/extract issue, dont remember) but nothing since. Yes, there have been some issues, and if you go on the Sigforum you will find a couple of people that had horendous issues and Sig eventually replaced the firearm. Yes there are 3 different versions of magazines and just like 1911s, some are picky about what magazine they like. Mine runs fine on Colt Mustang magazines or the 1st and 2nd generation Sig magazines, but I haven't tried any 3rd gen mags. The HD models had an issue with the slides but nothing for you to worry about.

That being said, I trust mine daily with my life. I do pocket carry, IWB and OWB carry mine depending on my dress for the day. The safety is very positive and has never moved while carrying in my pocket. I do use a Desantis nemesis holster and feel comfortable with it, as it covers a portion of the safety and the entire trigger area.

The only thing I ever caution anyone about is that it has a similar manual of arms to a 1911 in the part that it has a manual safety to disengage. If you are not comfortable with condition one carry or want to do the training to instill the muscle memory of flipping off a safety, then it is not the firearm for you.

Links