Update on colt rail gun

This is a discussion on Update on colt rail gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all. As some of you may recall, I was recently on the computer asking about a Colt Rail Gun and a Springfield MC Operator. ...

Thread: Update on colt rail gun

Update on colt rail gun

Howdy all.

As some of you may recall, I was recently on the computer asking about a Colt Rail Gun and a Springfield MC Operator. I went with the pony from Hartford.

Well today I completed my 750 round "break-in" with nary a bobble when it comes to feeding or ejecting. It's fed everything I've managed to get my hands on, and ejected every round cleanly as well. That's mostly hardball ammo, but I have pushed a few rounds of Hollowpoints out of the end of the tube as well. Running some drills today, it even fed an empty case. To say I am impressed with the Colt would be an accurate assessment of this pony.

My only "hitch" is that it fails to lock back after the last round is fired from the magazine. One of my shooting buddies, and I, are inclined to believe this is due to the amount of pressure I am applying to the Thumb Safety as I'm shooting. I'm exerting a lot of downward pressure on the Thumb safety, which is affecting the Plunger Tube. This is give me the failure to lock back, in our belief.

I use a "choke it to death" grip and ride the Thumb Safety. I'm pressing down on the Thumb Safety with the same amount of force that I'm applying towards holding the gun. In short, a lot! I can think of no other reason for the failures to lock back, and for me it's not much of an issue, as long as it eats what I feed it. If I relax my grip it locks back when the last round is fired from the magazine.

I shot 150 rounds through it today, with a Streamlight TLR1 mounted on it. It has gone 400 rounds between cleanings, and was a holy mess when I sat down to clean it this afternoon. This pony is so ergonomic that it even makes a poor shooter like me look good. All of my headshots, at twelve yards, went in the head. My heart shots were in the heart. The only rounds out of the kill zone were when I was running past the target and shooting. That's something I need to work on more.

I don't shoot my Springfield Loaded Model this good. I am inclined to think part of that reason is because of the relief cut that Colt puts under the Trigger Guard. The only changes have been a set of Pacmayr Grips and the TLR1. The rest is stock, and likely to stay that way.

If anyone is looking for a gun with a Rail, I'd definately advise taking a hard look at the Colt Rail Gun. I'm not done breaking it in, but getting closer. Next up is 200-250 rounds of my carry load follwed by 100 rounds each of two other hollowpoints just in case I run out of my carry load.

Outside of the failure to lockback on an empty magazine, which I believe we have discovered the cause of, there is nothing to report on this Colt Rail Gun except extreme reliability and happiness of the user.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a keeper.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report. Good luck on the rest of the run. Please let us know how she progresses.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Sounds like you are good to go. Does the slide always fail to lock on the last round. Have you tried a different mag.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Biker RN. Sounds like you have a great gun there. Enjoy! As for the slide thing, have you tried a high quality ammo? I only ask because many of us break guns in with what we can afford and that is not usually the high power stuff. I had a similiar thing happen to a Springfield 1911. I was using cheap 45 so I switched it up to some quality Lawman ammo for a few mags and the slide locked back and cycled fine. Went back to old stuff and problem occured. New gun, tight spring, needs power to cycle. Also, as mentioned, it may be your magazine. Try a differnet one. You may have a lip catching and dragging. I have had that as well. Hope you find what it is. Enjoy the new gun.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Sounds like you've found yourself a winner. Have you tried putting a slide stop from a different gun that doesn't have that problem in there? I had the same thing happen with a SIG 1911 and putting a Springfield slide stop in there corrected it. Just a thought.

Thanks for the update. Nice review.
    Interesting observation about the thumb safety too.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Biker, there are a few things that will prevent the slide lock from holding the slide back after the last round, but keeping your thumb on the safety, even with a death grip , isn't one of them. Unless your thumb is actually contacting the plunger tube, AND the tube is loose (from improper staking), the plunger simply can't go anywhere when the thumb safety is down.

As others have suggested, try some different magazines... Wilson and Cobra (by Tripp) are top choices. If that doesn't work, then the slide lock itself may need a bit of polishing or radiusing where the plunger makes contact to ensure proper actuation when the mag follower bumps it up. A pistolsmith who's competent with 1911s will recognize what's going on and fix it easily.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Trying not to be too envious of the top shelf acquisitions Biker, and having no luck doing so! Sounds like they got it right, with no "bugs" to work out, or mods to make. As it should be. Got pictures?
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Howdy all.

As some of you may recall, I was recently on the computer asking about a Colt Rail Gun and a Springfield MC Operator. I went with the pony from Hartford.

Well today I completed my 750 round "break-in" with nary a bobble when it comes to feeding or ejecting. It's fed everything I've managed to get my hands on, and ejected every round cleanly as well. That's mostly hardball ammo, but I have pushed a few rounds of Hollowpoints out of the end of the tube as well. Running some drills today, it even fed an empty case. To say I am impressed with the Colt would be an accurate assessment of this pony.

My only "hitch" is that it fails to lock back after the last round is fired from the magazine. One of my shooting buddies, and I, are inclined to believe this is due to the amount of pressure I am applying to the Thumb Safety as I'm shooting. I'm exerting a lot of downward pressure on the Thumb safety, which is affecting the Plunger Tube. This is give me the failure to lock back, in our belief.

I use a "choke it to death" grip and ride the Thumb Safety. I'm pressing down on the Thumb Safety with the same amount of force that I'm applying towards holding the gun. In short, a lot! I can think of no other reason for the failures to lock back, and for me it's not much of an issue, as long as it eats what I feed it. If I relax my grip it locks back when the last round is fired from the magazine.

I shot 150 rounds through it today, with a Streamlight TLR1 mounted on it. It has gone 400 rounds between cleanings, and was a holy mess when I sat down to clean it this afternoon. This pony is so ergonomic that it even makes a poor shooter like me look good. All of my headshots, at twelve yards, went in the head. My heart shots were in the heart. The only rounds out of the kill zone were when I was running past the target and shooting. That's something I need to work on more.

I don't shoot my Springfield Loaded Model this good. I am inclined to think part of that reason is because of the relief cut that Colt puts under the Trigger Guard. The only changes have been a set of Pacmayr Grips and the TLR1. The rest is stock, and likely to stay that way.

If anyone is looking for a gun with a Rail, I'd definately advise taking a hard look at the Colt Rail Gun. I'm not done breaking it in, but getting closer. Next up is 200-250 rounds of my carry load follwed by 100 rounds each of two other hollowpoints just in case I run out of my carry load.

Outside of the failure to lockback on an empty magazine, which I believe we have discovered the cause of, there is nothing to report on this Colt Rail Gun except extreme reliability and happiness of the user.

Biker
    Biker,

Since you and I bought one the same day, I would have to concur as this is an excellent 1911. It's the first one that I have owned in which it did not seem like it required a real break in period. Mine has been flawless from day one. I was going to mention that their customer service is great too, I am sending mine in for some custom work and brent (from Colt) on the 1911 forums is going to personally attend to it when it arrives.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Maybe I should call him and inquire about some things, and have him check out why it's not locking back the Slide when the last magazine is fired.

I'm considering having the Front Strap checkered.

Biker

Links