Hearing all this revolver talk got to me...... - Page 2

Hearing all this revolver talk got to me......

This is a discussion on Hearing all this revolver talk got to me...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What! It's not a Taurus? Congrats... I seriously don't miss carrying any of my autos at all. It might wear off someday, but not anytime ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing all this revolver talk got to me......

What! It's not a Taurus?

Congrats... I seriously don't miss carrying any of my autos at all. It might wear off someday, but not anytime soon I'm thinking.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Awaiting the photos. Sounds like a really good pick. That Model 686 will be great with any .357 Magnum loading, from mild to wild. The 6-inch barrel will gen up the performance too. Do you know about what year it was produced?

I have a Python and it's nice but have to believe that they are a bit overrated. I'm not sure a Python's single action trigger pull is superior to a Smith & Wesson that's been broken in and I dislike the Python's double action trigger but my trigger finger is long set, tuned for a Smith & Wesson trigger.
    How do I know what year it was produced? It's a -5 which is just before the internal lock but I believe it's right at the time they started adding a couple mim parts to their revolvers. Unless they are internal parts I can't see any on there. This thing is built like a tank! Oh and your comment is spot on about the trigger, I showed it to my uncle with the Python and he swears it has a trigger job. From what I have been told, it has been a safe queen for years and the trigger is stock. The single action is darn near set off by just thinking about it! LOL...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    What! It's not a Taurus?

Congrats... I seriously don't miss carrying any of my autos at all. It might wear off someday, but not anytime soon I'm thinking.
    Actually that is pretty funny! Even though I give Taurus a hard time I do hear good things about their revolvers and 1911's. As far as the Smith, I am known on this board for liking them and it's only natural that I would choose their revolver. I have this tin sign advertisement from S&W that hangs in my office, and I love starring at all the old models listed on it.

How do I know what year it was produced?

I'm thinking the latest edition of the Supica/Nhahaas "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson will have a section in back indexing serial number prefixes that might show yours. I'm off to holiday travels so am not near mine. We ought to look it up after the holidays.

Don't know about MIM parts, only having a single S&W example that has them, but one neat thing about traditional Smith & Wesson revolvers is that they wear in, not out and can have astounding triggers without resorting to a "trigger job" just through a little steady use.

Don't like MIM parts but have to admit that my Model 642-1 has also smoothed up with use.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Actually that is pretty funny! Even though I give Taurus a hard time I do hear good things about their revolvers and 1911's. As far as the Smith, I am known on this board for liking them and it's only natural that I would choose their revolver. I have this tin sign advertisement from S&W that hangs in my office, and I love starring at all the old models listed on it.
    I agree, S&W is the standard at which all others are measured IMO. I have the S&W 638 and really like it a lot, but my wife wanted it as her HD goto piece, so I lost it the day I showed it to her.. But I'm pretty happy with my LCR as its replacement. I'll pick up another S&W in the near future to fill in for the 638, I'm thinking one in .357 Magnum would fill the bill pretty well.

Again congrats and enjoy your new revolver.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I sense a new awareness in these threads to get back to SOME dependence upon the revolver...either to carry one again, or to at least add one to the collection.
    I simply love my SP101...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Any good grips recommendations? Frankly these houges are fantastic, but not purdy. I posted pics on the first page......
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; December 23rd, 2010 at 05:50 PM.

I saw the pics.....and THAT'S a revolver!!!!!!!!!! I've also sensed the resurgence of the revolver lately. Whether for CC, BUG, HD, woods gun, or just for fun there has been more interest and general popularity as of late. While they may never again enjoy the overall prominance they did in the past, there's just something special about them. I've been carrying several of mine a lot more lately. The six inch barrel version may be a little difficult to CC though (LoL). Let us know what you think after you take it out for a little exercise.

Ret, I'm loving my SP101 as well. After reading some threads on MIM parts breakages (even in some glocks over on glocktalk), I have since discovered that the SP101 is one of the very few weapons currently being made that has NO (NONE, ZERO) MIM parts. Another reason to love it even more!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Nice buy. I love the 686. Mine is the 2.5" 686+ version. I've never been overly concerned with capacity but must admit that 7th round is comforting.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Nice buy. I love the 686. Mine is the 2.5" 686+ version. I've never been overly concerned with capacity but must admit that 7th round is comforting.
    Very nice! Holly cow that BG would not know what hit him with that little guy! LOL

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    C hawk Glock,
    That's one fine looking revolver you've got there. Enjoy!!
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I saw the pics.....and THAT'S a revolver!!!!!!!!!! I've also sensed the resurgence of the revolver lately. Whether for CC, BUG, HD, woods gun, or just for fun there has been more interest and general popularity as of late. While they may never again enjoy the overall prominance they did in the past, there's just something special about them. I've been carrying several of mine a lot more lately. The six inch barrel version may be a little difficult to CC though (LoL). Let us know what you think after you take it out for a little exercise.

Ret, I'm loving my SP101 as well. After reading some threads on MIM parts breakages (even in some glocks over on glocktalk), I have since discovered that the SP101 is one of the very few weapons currently being made that has NO (NONE, ZERO) MIM parts. Another reason to love it even more!!!
    No I wont be CC'ing this bad ass. It will be a woods gun and used for OC when I am in the Cascade mountains, or if I feel like bopping around town. Got to love the west and our OC rights! When I go up to AK, I like a .44 because the native wildlife is kicked up a notch! There is nothing in WA that a hot loaded .357 can't handle or that I would be too concerned about.

sweeeeeeet....i hope they never have medicine that works for "gun fever"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links