Getting the new gun bug

This is a discussion on Getting the new gun bug within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock The reason you may be getting F-250 recommendations is because you trying to fit a square peg into a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting the new gun bug

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The reason you may be getting F-250 recommendations is because you trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
    I don't see that being the case at all. It's not like he's asking for something that doesn't or can't exist. He isn't asking about 12ga auto handgun with a 17 rounds capacity.

He's made a decision on his preference. He want's suggestions on a hi-cap 10mm longslide. What's wrong with that? Maybe it's not what you would want, but it's his decision and we should respect that.

That said, and STI 2011 was the first thing I thought of. And the price tag is no surprise. STI makes some very unique guns, and people pay a premium for them.

Another option is the Fusion Grand Sport Wide Body. It's a double stack, 6" 2011 style, available in 45 acp, 10mm, 40 S&W, 400 corbon, 9mm and 38 Super. It uses the STI mags.

It sells for $1795. Fusion Firearms

2. Remove Ads

I don't think I've seen the STI before, but I have seen the Fusion. I want. I want a lot, but I can't justify spending that much to the afore mentioned girlfriend :-D

I would go with the glock . The glock with the extra slide will give you more latitude however. I still think you could accomplish everything you want to do with a G29

The Glock is your best overall suggestion...go with your gut and get it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    So you're saying my excuse is bad? After all, that's what it is

I want what I want, the why is just so I can convince myself (and my girlfriend) to put the money aside for it, lol. Besides, what's wrong with a 10mm as a woods gun?
    Sure I will play a long. Glock
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I've got an EAA Witness in .45 and it has been trouble free for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    I've got an EAA Witness in .45 and it has been trouble free for years.
    How does it feel to shoot? Is it a double-stack like the Hunter?

I would probably go with the Glock, but only because I know next to nothing about the other one. As far as grip angle goes, another guy called it a myth and I mostly agree. You would have to adapt a little for the Glock, but wouldn't take long. I have a SIG P229 and I rented a Glock 19 one day and was shooting groups just about as good as I do with the SIG after about two mags through it to adjust with. I'm sure it wouldn't be such a big deal for you either.

If you're sold on a 10mm, then go with the Glock. Keep in mind that the .45 will do all the damage that you need, why go 10mm?
    Either way, Glock would be your best bet.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    First off, I know just enough about this to be dangerous.

Having said that, if you really want the longer than stock 4.6 barrel to hunt with, why wouldn't you go with something with a scope, like a Ruger Redhawk?

You can get conversion barrels for the Glock that will enable you to shoot other than the 10 mm. Glock Talk is full of all sorts of chatter on the G20 flexibility and conversion-ability.

Even if you stay with the stock length barrel, you would want a LWD barrel to enable you to shoot lead cast bullets without fouling, so you still would need to buy that...plus a heavier spring and guide rod for the kind of loads you would probably want to shoot if you are thinking animal protection.

Blah blah blah. I am in the midst of a Glock 20 sf project myself, so my answer would be the Glock - with the 4.6 barrel not the longer one. Get the LWD strong straight barrel with the 22 lb spring and guide rod assembly. Put new sights on it. Get Double Tap ammo.

Check out Dillon Precision for parts prices. They have LWD products cheaper than on the LWD website.

Now the pecan pie.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I would probably go with the Glock, but only because I know next to nothing about the other one. As far as grip angle goes, another guy called it a myth and I mostly agree. You would have to adapt a little for the Glock, but wouldn't take long. I have a SIG P229 and I rented a Glock 19 one day and was shooting groups just about as good as I do with the SIG after about two mags through it to adjust with. I'm sure it wouldn't be such a big deal for you either.
    The ammo for 10mm is more expensive, so I won't be able to practice with it as much as I should to develop the muscle memory in case I ever DO have to use it in a defensive situation. If it's that quick to adjust to, I shouldn't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Keep in mind that the .45 will do all the damage that you need, why go 10mm?
    10mm 230gr. WFNGC Hardcast 50rds.

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 230gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcast

Ballistics : 1120fps/ 641 ft./lbs. - Glock 20
    1008fps / 519 ft lbs 100yds Glock 20

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post

Having said that, if you really want the longer than stock 4.6 barrel to hunt with, why wouldn't you go with something with a scope, like a Ruger Redhawk?
    'cause I do :)

Longer barrel = higher velocity, and higher capacity of an autoloader has it's uses, even if it is just fun. And there are always pack predators that have multiple targets, higher capacity and the quick reloads of an autoloader have an advantage over the big revolver.

Check out Dillon Precision for parts prices. They have LWD products cheaper than on the LWD website.
    Thanks. . . This is looking more like I'm either going to get the Glock and put on the conversion barrel, or buy a pricey custom job like the STI or Fusion. Looks like LWD is selling all the parts independent of each other, is anyone selling the complete upper slide assembly for the G20L?

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I don't see that being the case at all. It's not like he's asking for something that doesn't or can't exist. He isn't asking about 12ga auto handgun with a 17 rounds capacity.

He's made a decision on his preference. He want's suggestions on a hi-cap 10mm longslide. What's wrong with that? Maybe it's not what you would want, but it's his decision and we should respect that.

That said, and STI 2011 was the first thing I thought of. And the price tag is no surprise. STI makes some very unique guns, and people pay a premium for them.

Another option is the Fusion Grand Sport Wide Body. It's a double stack, 6" 2011 style, available in 45 acp, 10mm, 40 S&W, 400 corbon, 9mm and 38 Super. It uses the STI mags.

It sells for $1795. Fusion Firearms

Thanks Xader.

I was just digging around the Fusion website. . . some of his guns don't seem to be all that expensive, especially considering that the Glock and custom slide will total out to $12-1400. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Distinguished Member
    Thanks Xader.

I was just digging around the Fusion website. . . some of his guns don't seem to be all that expensive, especially considering that the Glock and custom slide will total out to $12-1400. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    I've heard nothing but good things about them. Truly beautiful guns. The thing to remember is that Fusion is a custom shop, so there is a wait time, but I haven't the foggiest what it is.

I don't know if it is considered poor form to post links to other forums, but 1911forum has an official thread for showing off Fusion-built guns. See it here

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about them. Truly beautiful guns. The thing to remember is that Fusion is a custom shop, so there is a wait time, but I haven't the foggiest what it is.

I don't know if it is considered poor form to post links to other forums, but 1911forum has an official thread for showing off Fusion-built guns. See it here
    I emailed Bob @ Fusion Firearms over the weekend (he replied Christmas morning) and talked back and forth. I picked out my favorite in the batch he sent me and he gave me a quote based on it. A little more than I planned on spending (~$2100), but I was looking at ~$1400+ for the Glock, which I wasn't all that excited about anyway.

But this guy knows how to make a pretty gun

Last edited by livewire; December 27th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.

VIP Member
    That's a pretty gun. . . but here's my problem with it:
    MSRP $2458.25

It doesn't say magazine capacity, but it does say it's a double-stack, so it probably meets my requirements.

Shoulda asked Santa about it :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^For the money I would go with EAA.
    They make a VERY solid pistol for what they charge.
    If you want to pay more, go with Dan Wesson ,Either way I don't think you will be dissapointed.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links