Getting the new gun bug

This is a discussion on Getting the new gun bug within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a long time, I've wanted something. I have put it off because I can't afford it, but I think it's time to put it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the new gun bug

Getting the new gun bug

For a long time, I've wanted something. I have put it off because I can't afford it, but I think it's time to put it in my budget for 2011.

I want a 10mm.

I don't want much. I want a high-capacity 10mm autoloader with a 6-inch barrel.

So far, I've found two options.

One is the EAA Hunter, imported.
    PDF

The only other option I see is to build a Glock G20L. Since the Glock would be custom, I'd be buying a slide and parts.
    LWD Slide G20LS 10mm Solid Top

This would be a woods gun, not a daily carry piece. The G20L concerns me in this regard because the grip angle is different than my Springfields, and 10mm ammo is expensive. Whatever gun I get, I won't be able to practice with as much as my .40s.

The EAA looks like it would point just like my XDs, but I don't know how reliable they are. Most of EAA guns are Tanfoglio, but I can't find a comparable model from them. I hear mixed things about their customer service on various forums, but don't know how much of it I should believe.

The Glock is an exceptionally reliable gun, but the whole upper would be custom. The cost of the slide, barrel, and parts puts the cost of the G20 + upper at the same as the EAA. The advantage there is I could swap the 'stock' slide with the 4.6" barrel for carry if I decided I needed the 10mm in a concealable package. I don't ever see needing that, but you never know. As I mentioned, I'm also concerned about the grip angle. Before I bought my XDs, I picked up several guns, including a couple 1911s, XDs, Glocks and such. I didn't go with the Glock because it didn't point naturally in my hand. I don't have a problem with the grip angle per se, but I don't expect to spend a whole lot of time practicing with ammo as expansive as 10mm.

Both guns are 15+1 capacity, which should be more than enough for putting down a four-legged predator should the need arise.

Anyone have any input on these, or have another option that I don't see? I don't really want to spend $3k like some of the custom jobs out there.

2. Remove Ads

If it is going to be a woods gun, how about a .44 Mag revolver? You could even go bigger caliber if you wanted to.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If it is going to be a woods gun, how about a .44 Mag revolver? You could even go bigger caliber if you wanted to.
    X 2 If it is going to be a woods gun, get a woods caliber. There are many better choices than the 10mm because of bullet choices.

Versatility. . . I thought about a revolver, but am limited in capacity.

Plus, I like 10mm. . . I have always wanted one :) The problem is that I can't find high-capacity 10mms besides what I listed above, and I don't know which way to go.

VIP Member
    A S&W 686 is 7 shots of .357 and I believe there are other revolvers that are 8 shots. In my opinion you can't beat a revolver for a woods gun.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    A S&W 686 is 7 shots of .357 and I believe there are other revolvers that are 8 shots. In my opinion you can't beat a revolver for a woods gun.
    I'm sure that's true. And at some point, I'm going to expand my revolver collection. But, this year, I want a high-capacity 10mm with a 6" barrel.

So, of the two choices above, can anyone suggest which would be the better choice, or suggest another high-capacity 10mm with a 6" barrel that I didn't see?

Can't go wrong with a S&W 1006, I know its only a 5" barrel but I don't think anything you hit with it will be able to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by cbroth View Post
    Can't go wrong with a S&W 1006, I know its only a 5" barrel but I don't think anything you hit with it will be able to tell.
    I thought that was discontinued?

Glock 29 so you can conceal 10+1 and then when you are in the woods slap in a g20 mag for 15+1. Grip angle is a myth I own 1911's glocks and bhp's no issues. Check out the SF model for the thinner grip to see if it fits you better than the standard model. Great weapon! Really do you NEED a 6" barell? why?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Glock 29 so you can conceal 10+1 and then when you are in the woods slap in a g20 mag for 15+1. Grip angle is a myth I own 1911's glocks and bhp's no issues. Check out the SF model for the thinner grip to see if it fits you better than the standard model. Great weapon! Really do you NEED a 6" barell? why?
    I don't NEED another gun at all :) I WANT a full-size high-cap 10mm with a 6" barrel. I might use it for predator hunting, woods defense, or long range shooting, and the extra inch of sight radius will matter. I also expect that the extra inch and a half (Standard g20 is 4.6", IIRC) will add a bit of muzzle velocity, which will help flatten the trajectory.

If this were a car conversation, It'd be me asking whether I should get a Denali or a Tahoe, and everyone is telling me I should get a F-250. I don't want a revolver yet, I want a high-cap 10mm with a 6" barrel. Of the two I found, does anyone have any suggestions?

Do'h, I shoulda made this a poll, lol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    ...If this were a car conversation, It'd be me asking whether I should get a Denali or a Tahoe, and everyone is telling me I should get a F-250. I don't want a revolver yet, I want a high-cap 10mm with a 6" barrel. Of the two I found, does anyone have any suggestions?

LOL. Yeah, that does tend to happen here. Okay, I'll abide by your request, but here's my disclaimer; I do not presently own a 10mm (just want one), and have not even handled the model that I'm about to provide the link for. It's just one that has caught my eye: http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Perfect10/Perfect10.php

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I got bit HARD as well, but by the "long gun bug" which is a little more expensive. I just bought a Mossberg and I'm in the process of saving to get an AR-15 and a Remington 700 .308W. Perhaps later a Mossberg 930SPX. Oh God, I am spinning out of control!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. Yeah, that does tend to happen here. Okay, I'll abide by your request, but here's my disclaimer; I do not presently own a 10mm (just want one), and have not even handled the model that I'm about to provide the link for. It's just one that has caught my eye: http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Perfect10/Perfect10.php
    That's a pretty gun. . . but here's my problem with it:
    MSRP $2458.25

It doesn't say magazine capacity, but it does say it's a double-stack, so it probably meets my requirements.

Shoulda asked Santa about it :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I don't NEED another gun at all :) I WANT a full-size high-cap 10mm with a 6" barrel. I might use it for predator hunting, woods defense, or long range shooting, and the extra inch of sight radius will matter. I also expect that the extra inch and a half (Standard g20 is 4.6", IIRC) will add a bit of muzzle velocity, which will help flatten the trajectory.

If this were a car conversation, It'd be me asking whether I should get a Denali or a Tahoe, and everyone is telling me I should get a F-250. I don't want a revolver yet, I want a high-cap 10mm with a 6" barrel. Of the two I found, does anyone have any suggestions?

The reason you may be getting F-250 recommendations is because you trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The reason you may be getting F-250 recommendations is because you trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
    So you're saying my excuse is bad? After all, that's what it is

I want what I want, the why is just so I can convince myself (and my girlfriend) to put the money aside for it, lol. Besides, what's wrong with a 10mm as a woods gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links